Best phono stage?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes, yes, you do need a quick response technician, especially if you are in such a situation o_O

View attachment 123805
My condolences, fortunately there is no bright white light there when tubes dying is like a near-death experience. I had that once with an 845 tube not nice to see
A radio repair shop near you will be able to fix it, it's not rocket science. good luck

thekong

May 10, 2012
My condolences, fortunately there is no bright white light there when tubes dying is like a near-death experience. I had that once with an 845 tube not nice to see
A radio repair shop near you will be able to fix it, it's not rocket science. good luck

Thanks! We have 4 sets of Io among the group, so we have a local technician very familiar with the circuit :)

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Wall audio ph 110 flexible setting options, very good tube phono with strong balanced output stage. View attachment 123792
There is good reason for loading a MM cartridge, but not for LOMC. You might want to read this thread:
MC loading. Myth?

What happens when you load a LOMC cartridge is you make it less able to trace high frequencies, as shown on page 3 of that thread. The loading does not affect any 'ringing' or such from the cartridge, as also shown on that same page.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Wow you have a beautiful store with some of my favorite brands. I was in Stockholm in 2022, beautiful city.
I am looking for something dynamic and fast. Even though I have tubes on my DAC the setup made it sound, transparen, fast, dynamic and I am looking for something similar but with the magic of vinyl. Based on that which one do you recommend more the phasemation EA 1200 or the Allnic H 7000v?
I will check Ypsillon but the VPS 1000 does it needs the MC set up transformer?
id love to talk to you over the phone. I even willing to import if you can sell me and we find something interesting

thanks

Well, thank you :)

I would look at Allnic if you want the naturalness of tubes combined with great transparency, speed and dynamics.

Yes, you will need a SUT suited for your MC cartridge with the VPS-100 from Ypsilon. They make one of the best available for this purpose.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
There is good reason for loading a MM cartridge, but not for LOMC. You might want to read this thread:
MC loading. Myth?

What happens when you load a LOMC cartridge is you make it less able to trace high frequencies, as shown on page 3 of that thread. The loading does not affect any 'ringing' or such from the cartridge, as also shown on that same page.
Exactly, it limits the bandwidth of the frequency response of the SUT or phono input. I know only one cartridge removes the ringing or cantilever resonance emt tsd 15 sfl with a defined capacitor in combination with a terminating resistor. 20240123_200058.jpg

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The Allnic DHT 8000 stands out as an exceptionally musical and emotionally engaging Phono. When configured with aftermarket tubes and rectifiers, it delivers a profoundly immersive musical experience, rekindling the joy that is often absent from solid-state phonographs. Highest Recommendation for this unit. It gives you all speed Dynamics, transparency, and warmth, Bass Digs deep with agility. The sound stage is room-filling.

Arcus7

Jul 29, 2021
Has anyone heard the FM Acoustics FM122 Mk.II or FM 223? That would probably my choice :)

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I am really enjoying the Lampi VP4 Silver phono. Dynamic and smooth, with a huge soundstage. It has no gain, which Lukasz says increases purity. I agree it is pure, without knowing enough to comment on the merits of the design philosophy.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
It’s in the signature - P1. Very happy so far. Sound wise it’s on the same level or above in some aspects. I was afraid, I would loose some tonal density, but so far all is good. The fact that I can keep it on 24/7 and not worry about heat is enough to make me smile. Also, thinking about second tonearm and cartridge.
Congrats, I've heard the Allnic and the CH P1 in the same system and I felt nothing was lost with the CH. In fact, the CH had better resolution / clarity, better dynamics and more bass heft retaining all (or darn close) to all the tube benefits of the Allnic. I've also heard the P10 which is at another level altogether. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing