May 2, 2014
Poland

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

thekong

May 10, 2012
Same here, gun shot sound! Fortunately, I had just turned it on to warmup, and the pre and power amps were not on yet. Apparently, one of those electrolytic caps in the amplification chassis blew:(

• Wow
Reactions: Another Johnson

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Same here, gun shot sound! Fortunately, I had just turned it on to warmup, and the pre and power amps were not on yet. Apparently, one of those electrolytic caps in the amplification chassis blew:(
At least when a cap or resistor blows and you’ve let the smoke out of the circuit, it’s not so hard to troubleshoot. Still, I hate smoke leaks.;)

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Ra
the question is why components blow up
Power capacity, voltage rating, aging out, manufacturing or material defect, operator error, power surge …

Some stuff is more prone to failure because the design pushes the envelope. My Krell KSA 150s were like that. They sounded lovely, but a trip back to Orange was inevitable every few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
what I meant to say, is that it might be smart to find out why a components blows
it might be triggered by an underlying fault
shitty if you replace just one component and the bloody thing blows up again
with the Io you must absolutely have a big variac available

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last time mine blew up it sounded like a gun shot, scared the shit out of me ! :eek:

I can imagine you high and saying "Wow man, what realistic dynamics"

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
I can add some general advice and experiences with a couple of the brands and products recently mentioned where we're carrying CH Precision, Boulder, Allnic, Phasemation, Ypsilon and more.

CH Precision P1. This is one of the most advanced and versatile phono preamps that I know. A true "Swiss army knife" that can handle anything with access to all settings on the fly with inputs for up to three tonearms. The P1 is dead quiet, uncolored and unrestricted. It's a setup and forget unit with full flexibility which draws very little if any attention to itself.

Allnic. These are amongst the very best tube based phono pre amps out there offering a generous range of options - from the more affordable all the way up into the stratosphere. Allnic offers a very mature and refined tube sound - open, resolved, generous and dynamic.

Phasemation. I'm happy to see that this manufacturer is getting more and more attention being one of the most experienced within the analogue field in general. These are very genuine and understated designs where simplicity and purity is key rather than extensive features.

Ypsilon VPS-100. One of most well built, timeless and well balanced phono preamps out there still.

I'm also intrigued by the new Conrad Johnson ART phono which I still haven't had the pleasure of experiencing.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Wow you have a beautiful store with some of my favorite brands. I was in Stockholm in 2022, beautiful city.
I am looking for something dynamic and fast. Even though I have tubes on my DAC the setup made it sound, transparen, fast, dynamic and I am looking for something similar but with the magic of vinyl. Based on that which one do you recommend more the phasemation EA 1200 or the Allnic H 7000v?
I will check Ypsillon but the VPS 1000 does it needs the MC set up transformer?
id love to talk to you over the phone. I even willing to import if you can sell me and we find something interesting

thanks

Reactions: Hyperion

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ra

Power capacity, voltage rating, aging out, manufacturing or material defect, operator error, power surge …

Some stuff is more prone to failure because the design pushes the envelope. My Krell KSA 150s were like that. They sounded lovely, but a trip back to Orange was inevitable every few years.
Same with my Kps25 sc and Fpb, the constant heat will eventually kill Krell ! o_O

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I can imagine you high and saying "Wow man, what realistic dynamics"
Never high Ked, a little drunk occasionall, but never when listening to music ! Music is my drug of choice :)

Reactions: mulveling

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
No one has some love for Vandehul? Is it on a lower level? It is my first option because I have a lot of access to it, and it is not cheap

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No one has some love for Vandehul? Is it on a lower level? It is my first option because I have a lot of access to it, and it is not cheap

if you are new to analog buy one at a good price that you can resale and try other phonos. Allnic 7000 is always good value just make sure when you buy used it is not humming. 3000 is much cheaper

Reactions: shakti and Bobvin

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I think Shakti had a few posts about it in the long thread about his journey through various phonos. I think he really liked it.

Reactions: Dave777tx

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing