MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
http://durand-tonearms.com/Kairos/thekairos.html

The Kairos™ is our newest model. It will be introduced for the first time at the 2014 High-End Audio show in Munich (Germany), then will be presented to the US customers at T.H.E. Show at Newport Beach (May 30-June 1, 2014). See our section News for more details on these shows.

The Kairos™ offers all the adjustments needed to explore its full potential: VTA is adjusted with a convenient threaded collar which raises or lowers the whole bearing assembly; the VTF can be modified in fine increments; and, as in the case with the Talea™, the azimuth can be very easily adjusted on-the-fly, by turning a screw located under the main plate. Anti-skating is of course available, and can be defeated with a simple operation.

For the first time in our tonearms, we offer with the Kairos™ the option to use your own cable if you feel inclined to, and we introduce a unique feature to that effect: a DIN plug integrated in the base of the arm, to minimize the transmission of vibrations to the phono cable. The arm is sold without cable, but we offer separately a dedicated phono cable (DIN-RCA or DIN-XLR), developed specially for the Kairos™.

Faithful to our usual design philosophy, the Kairos™ is based on the simplest design and the greatest attention to the types of materials involved in the assembly, so as to guarantee maximum quality of reproduction. For the very first time in our products, the armwand is made of a specially developed blend of composite materials. The result of a long period of development, we are delighted to offer this technology, and are confident in the tonearm’s abilities to deliver far beyond its price point.

It's a killer arm for the money.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's very interesting that Durand seems to be moving away from wooden arm wands. I love the elegance of the design. It sees to share some design elements with the Telos, or looks to be descended from that arm and quite different from the offset tower type of the Talea. If the Talea remains in the line up, is this new Kairos arm above it or below it?

The departure from wood reminds me of what happened at Magico.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My understanding is that both the wood and composite will continue to be offered for the Telos. The new Kairos will be a composite arm wand.

Peter, you are correct, the Kairos incorporates many of the design elements of the Telos, including the constrained unipivot design. I share your enthusiasm for the aesthetics...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
At least the headshell offset appears to be correct this time.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I believe the anticipated MSRP is $6,450. I will update when confirmed. My impression was that pricing will be announced at the debut in Munich.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I believe the anticipated MSRP is $6,200. I will update when confirmed. My impression was that pricing will be announced at the debut in Munich.

And that would be without the tonearm cable. How much for the Durand cable? Is it going to come in the fancy museum quality display box like the other Durand arms?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My understanding is that the packaging will be more austere. Don't know the cost of the cable but obviously you are free to pick and choose. If you are a 'cable denier', Radio Shack has you covered ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My understanding is that the packaging will be more austere. Don't know the cost of the cable but obviously you are free to pick and choose. If you are a 'cable denier', Radio Shack has you covered ;)

I'm not a cable denier and last I knew, Rat Shack doesn't sell tonearm cables. If this new arm is going to sell for around the price you suggested, I'm not surprised that the packaging will be more "austere." The beautiful wooden box that the higher priced Durand arms come in have to add a minimum of $1k to the price of the arm. What is the length of the new arm?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Don't know the tonearm length. My wife would comment that I tend to overestimate. Might be worth checking out the website....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Don't know the tonearm length. My wife would comment that I tend to overestimate. Might be worth checking out the website....

Now that's funny. I did go to the website and it doesn't say what length the arm is. I'm guessing 9"-10."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing