Lampizator DSD DAC

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hi Adamaley, the Tak 247b give more airy top but the KR 5U4G has more grip and fuller sound. It's systems dependent. One day, I really would like to try Tak 300b. Mine is Balance version without VC..so need to sell my kidney to obtain quad matched Tak 300b. :p

@ferrox anymore feedback using the Tak 274b rectifier? Is your DAC single ended? What is your favorite tube to pair with the Tak rectifier that is not a 300b?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Adam

Vince has a Bal Dac and only ever used 300B tubes.
AL also has a Tak recti and like his EML 2a3 mesh best with it in his headdac. In a demo Pac he like best all Tak...the so called holy trinity.

Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking for impressions on optimal pairings with the Tak rectifier. I'll have PX4s, KR242s, Elrog 300bs, and stock Line Magnetic 300bs (I suspect they are Electroharmonix but not certain) to start with. Would you be in agreement that a second rectifier worth having to experiment with this driver tube complement is the KR5U4G? I don't have the DAC yet, but I'm putting my ducks in a row.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking for impressions on optimal pairings with the Tak rectifier. I'll have PX4s, KR242s, Elrog 300bs, and stock Line Magnetic 300bs (I suspect they are Electroharmonix but not certain) to start with. Would you be in agreement that a second rectifier worth having to experiment with this driver tube complement is the KR5U4G? I don't have the DAC yet, but I'm putting my ducks in a row.

I would swap out the PX4 for PX25 when you get the chance. High chances 242s might not be compatible.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I would swap out the PX4 for PX25 when you get the chance. High chances 242s might not be compatible.

Lukasz is currently performing the gain reduction modification to my DAC, which is single ended, with a view to make it compatible with the 242s. I'll see how things turn out.

Could you describe the differences in sound between the PX25 and both the 242 and the PX4? From what I've gleaned the PX25 sound sits somewhere in the middle of the other two. Kindly correct my if I'm wrong.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lukasz is currently performing the gain reduction modification to my DAC, which is single ended, with a view to make it compatible with the 242s. I'll see how things turn out.

Could you describe the differences in sound between the PX25 and both the 242 and the PX4? From what I've gleaned the PX25 sound sits somewhere in the middle of the other two. Kindly correct my if I'm wrong.

The PX25 has more gain, drive, dynamics, excitement, then the PX4. You have the PX4 anyway so you will be able to try both at some time. The 242 is quite different, usually does not work but when it does you will hear it. It will grip you like anything. If it sounds meh, or bad, don't bother with it just keep it aside. If your friends ever get another preamp or so over try it till it works.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Would you be in agreement that a second rectifier worth having to experiment with this driver tube complement is the KR5U4G?
If you are going to order anyways, I would definitely go with the Riccardo Kron KR 5u4g recti.

We have compared all there is except for the Takatsuki 274b and the RK Version of the KR 5u4g was clearly our favorite recti.

In our big tubes rolling Party, we also compared Output tubes and we liked the 242 and the PX25 best.

So much so, that Golum and Wisnon each ordered a pair of PX25 for themselves after the Event, while I ordered the RK KR 5u4g recti ;):cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, Tak would be ultimate...like a genuine WE vintage 274b. BUT....The RK kron 5u4G will get you most of the way there for less money. It really is a killer too.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
If you are going to order anyways, I would definitely go with the Riccardo Kron KR 5u4g recti.

We have compared all there is except for the Takatsuki 274b and the RK Version of the KR 5u4g was clearly our favorite recti.

In our big tubes rolling Party, we also compared Output tubes and we liked the 242 and the PX25 best.

So much so, that Golum and Wisnon each ordered a pair of PX25 for themselves after the Event, while I ordered the RK KR 5u4g recti ;):cool:
true, but I also like the RK300b a LOT, but as I already had it, I went with the PX25. RK300b better in Pac than the GG. PX25 is most versatile...works great in a wider range of Lampis.

The RK recti is just winner winner, chicken dinner!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The PX25 has more gain, drive, dynamics, excitement, then the PX4. You have the PX4 anyway so you will be able to try both at some time. The 242 is quite different, usually does not work but when it does you will hear it. It will grip you like anything. If it sounds meh, or bad, don't bother with it just keep it aside. If your friends ever get another preamp or so over try it till it works.
Hi Ked
In our big "3 DACs, 7 Output tubes and 5 rectis compare" the PX25 brought the same magic to the Pacific like the 242 brings to the GG when it works.
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about because in my GG, the 242 brings exactly that magic.

And the PX25 transforms the Pacific from excellent to outstandingly magical :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, Tak would be ultimate...like a genuine WE vintage 274b. BUT....The RK kron 5u4G will get you most of the way there for less money. It really is a killer too.
I think Adam already owns the Takatsuki 274b recti :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I don't think Tak is ultimate. It is just different. Same with the Tak 300b though the latter i haven't heard in a Lampi, but compared in two Alieno set ups. They are different. All Taks, the output tubes and the recti have a denser feel in the mids and mid bass.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I agree bonzo. The taks are a thinker tube in sound
But they have the most air as any tubes I have.
The only tube that is better in my dac is the tube it was voiced in.
In the pacific the taks were best the holy grail of tubes. It has all the boxes checked off.
Air was amazing. Of one wanted a slightly less weight the we 274b is better suited but has less air a trade off of sorts

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing