Lampizator DSD DAC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I'm going to throw out a little tease and say that the Lampi Level 4 DAC in combination with my REF 5SE and REF 75, is doing something via DSD that I have never heard digital do before.

Maybe you can get Mytek to send you a Manhattan, so you can compare DSD performance in this price range.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe you can get Mytek to send you a Manhattan, so you can compare DSD performance in this price range.

That would be interesting. I' not wild over the looks of the new Mytek although that shouldn't matter.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
That would be interesting. I' not wild over the looks of the new Mytek although that shouldn't matter.

The Resonessence Labs Mirus DAC is another DAc in this price range that's been getting a lot of praise.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
In own a mytek. And you are not missing anything not having it. For get looks I agree . The mytek does dsd good but the PCM is big drop off to me. The lampi,s sound is smooth and has the non digital sound to it at least the three I had did .
The mytek has the digital sound to it in PCM. I know this makes no sense to some but if mep is an analog guy he would pick it up in a few seconds of hearing the music play that he knows .
Just my two cents in this. Also mep if you pay shipping or live in ny I could loan you the mytek .
Al

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Al-Which Mytek do you have? I own the Mytek Stereo 192. And you are correct, I don't like the way PCM sounds through the Mytek.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have the stereo 192 it's not the master one you have.
I have tried everything to make it sound good and fail. Even in dsd the preamp must be bypassed . No volume control to sound good. I have not done the resister mod though it is a hot output but does no overload any inputs as yet. I have a offramp loaded and the linear PSU and it still no good on PCM. I now have a PPA USB PCI express card and linear PSU and the red PPA USB cable it's better but not good. I am building a complete win server 2012 server now . Audiophil swears when it's done it will be good let's see hahaha

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I happen to like the hot output from the XLR outputs on the Mytek and it hasn't overloaded any of my preamps that I have used. I have never used the volume control on the Mytek. I think the Mytek sounds great with DSD.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes it does , and the hot output is just something some have done. I did remove the output resisters on the headphone . It helped with the headphones a little but the amp is just on par with the dsd sound and headphones . If you like the mytek dsd I cannot wait to read your review of the lampi . Myles analog rig was really off the hook good and the music he has in open reel was really cool and bettered the vinyl something I did not know the few hours I spent with Myles was a big learning curve for me. Now I know what I like is the best audio not just my opinion. One day I would like to hear my msb compared to his analog .
Al

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Al-I thought you were arranging another trip to Myle's place and you were bringing your MSB stack with you.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The ball is in Myles court , I would cancel a trip just to do it. I also have my IRS V coming to NYC and later on this summer I can entertain him as well. Myles please do not feel obligated in Anyway in this and I mean that. Your were very kind to show me what you did .
Al

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I am among those happy people who may listen to Lampi dsd dac at home. I received a demo unit from ?ukasz last Tuesday. The first day i wondered what do you guys hear so special in this Lampi. My Vega did much better. I left Lampi for some 20 hours playing and the next day I could not belive my ears. This is completaly new experience for me -digital sounding better than analog. After few days in Munich I am back home and enjoy Nat King Cole singing in front of me.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I among those happy people who may listen to Lampi dsd dac at home. I received a demo unit from ?ukasz last Tuesday. The first day i wondered what do you guys heard so special int this Lampi. My Vega did much better. I left Lampi for some 20 hours playing and the next day I could not belive my ears. This is completaly new experience for me -digital sounding better than analog. After few days in Munich I am back home and enjoy Nat King Cole singing in front of me.

Now now. Let's not get carried away.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I happen to like the hot output from the XLR outputs on the Mytek and it hasn't overloaded any of my preamps that I have used. I have never used the volume control on the Mytek. I think the Mytek sounds great with DSD.

How does the sonics on the Mytek 8x192 Pro Multichannel DAC compare to their Stereo 192DSD home DAC?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes I agree with mep , I want to read his words on this. For to many years I always thought the analog people were just lazy or stuck on and old format, sorta like the tube people hahaha. But as my musical understanding grew and being all digital as I grew up or mostly anyway . I now come to know they were right all along , how stupid I feel now . But the good part is I know now and have 7 TB of music to play all over again like the first time . I do intend to do at,east vinyl as reel to reel I feel is better it's close but vinyl you can find much more in music to buy.
Al

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Now now. Let's not get carried away.
Mep,

With all due respect, did you have the Opportunity to audition lampi dsd dac in the system you know well ?
If not , may I kindly suggest we continue the discussion about digital vs analog after you will do it ?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
So I remain confused about how or why the DSD DAC would sound better (or even different) than for example a L5 or L4 with Duelands and the DSD module?

I didnt say it sounded better, as I have never heard the optional modules, just a Lampi DSD only…which I own.

I also own a L4 PCM Lampi.

Bruce has only heard the 2 Lampi DSD only Dacs... no other version of Lampis!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How does the sonics on the Mytek 8x192 Pro Multichannel DAC compare to their Stereo 192DSD home DAC?

I have no idea. Maybe Bruce can chime in here.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

With all due respect, did you have the Opportunity to audition lampi dsd dac in the system you know well ?
If not , may I kindly suggest we continue the discussion about digital vs analog after you will do it ?

Marslo-So you were serious about that? You hit on a point that has credence. My ARC REF 5SE and REF 75 are new to my system. I sold my long term speakers I owned and bought a pair of Nola KO speakers which haven't arrived yet. So, there has been lots of changes in my system lately. I also explained all of this to the Lampi people before they sent the DAC for me to review in case they wanted to wait until after my Nola KOs arrived. I provided a complete list of my gear and they built the Level 4 DAC for me to review and shipped it to me.

I have been listening to DSD files for a fair amount of time since I bought my Mytek Stereo 192 and I think I have a good handle on what DSD brings to the table. I have praised the sound of DSD more times than I can count on WBF. I'm a believer. However, I'm not a believer that the sound of DSD is superior to either LPs or tape. It's different sounding and is the most analog sounding digital format that I have heard in my home. I just wouldn't climb out on a limb and say it sounds better than analog.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing