Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: CAT Renaissance vs. CAT Legend?

  1. #11
    i was Axpona and heard Ken explain some of the changes to both units (only briefly heard the conversation) both have upgraded wiring/caps and a few other things, i thought the Legend has the Black Path Caps also in the power supply and almost twice the caps on the circuit board? Best to call CAT for All changes made to both units...

    Tube rolling in a CAT can be a good thing or not? the CAT pre's do demand Strong tested tubes. it will eat up a lot of NOS 6922's tubes, causing them to become noisy/microphonic very quickly! 12AX7'S are safe to roll, but the 6922's are a different story. the biggest Problem is not buying select/matched strong tubes., instead buying tubes from unreliable sources and proper testing??? Maybe CAT feels the same way and does not recommend tube rolling?


    Forgot to mention i own the SL1 Black Path Renaissance Pre and i'm very happy and what a incredible phono! The New Pre's from CAT are a improvement,from the already great sounding previous CAT Pre's. in my experience the new Pre's have more resolution and transparent also dynamics. i believe if you have a fairly new model, it can be still upgraded to the latest ?

  2. #12
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam holland
    Posts
    3,849
    Ps got my picture from here ,soundstage also tested the CAT ultimate Mk 2, I think stereophile tested the Renaissance , but I prefer testing myself also , bought the Poweramp too based on their reviews , actually if I buy stuff I read soundstage first , also stereophile
    Seeems to me the legend doesn't have double the caps compared to the renaissance unless they are solderd under the Teflon circuitcoards


    http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/cat_sl1_legend.htm

  3. #13
    Addicted to Best! DaveyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, Calif USA
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by purevinyl View Post
    i was Axpona and heard Ken explain some of the changes to both units (only briefly heard the conversation) both have upgraded wiring/caps and a few other things, i thought the Legend has the Black Path Caps also in the power supply and almost twice the caps on the circuit board? Best to call CAT for All changes made to both units...

    Tube rolling in a CAT can be a good thing or not? the CAT pre's do demand Strong tested tubes. it will eat up a lot of NOS 6922's tubes, causing them to become noisy/microphonic very quickly! 12AX7'S are safe to roll, but the 6922's are a different story. the biggest Problem is not buying select/matched strong tubes., instead buying tubes from unreliable sources and proper testing??? Maybe CAT feels the same way and does not recommend tube rolling?


    Forgot to mention i own the SL1 Black Path Renaissance Pre and i'm very happy and what a incredible phono! The New Pre's from CAT are a improvement,from the already great sounding previous CAT Pre's. in my experience the new Pre's have more resolution and transparent also dynamics. i believe if you have a fairly new model, it can be still upgraded to the latest ?
    Ok, I totally understand where Ken is coming from by NOT recommending tube rolling. I would do exactly the same thing if I were in his shoes...or any other manufacturers for that matter. For Ken to source consistent quality in NOS tubes is an unlikely event. Plus, the tubes he supplies as stock have to be warrantable, plentiful and have to sound ok.
    However, having suggested to many other CAT owners that they roll tubes with good NOS, none have ever gone back to stock...and all have reported extreme gains with decent rolled in NOS tubes. IME, and as stated above, the gains in my SQ were obvious and large. BTW, there really is very little to lose by rolling tubes into the CAT.
    Last edited by DaveyF; 05-01-2018 at 11:17 PM.

  4. #14
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam holland
    Posts
    3,849
    Quote : BTW, there really is very little to lose by rolling tubes into the CAT.

    Except banknotes rolling down from your bankroll

  5. #15
    Addicted to Best! DaveyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, Calif USA
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    Quote : BTW, there really is very little to lose by rolling tubes into the CAT.

    Except banknotes rolling down from your bankroll
    IMHO, compared to other 'upgrades' in this hobby, tube rolling is one of the least expensive things you can do. YMMV.

  6. #16
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam holland
    Posts
    3,849
    Rolling fuses
    I smoke em all in the bass though, even with tubes

  7. #17
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam holland
    Posts
    3,849
    I have some things in the works , might buy another power amp , a second hand dart 108 in the nearby future .
    The Cat combined great with all solid state in the past.
    I ll go with mikes advice lol
    And may be a ml 32 but my soundexpirience might have changed and the ml lacks some transparancy compared to the cat.
    I heard the dart only one time on an unfamiliar system but the highs sounded nice.
    Upgrading to the legend , hmm not sure love the builtquality , but mine sounds Just right , so i would nt go for blind swap
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 05-19-2018 at 04:07 AM.

  8. #18
    Addicted to Best! DaveyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, Calif USA
    Posts
    5,336
    The Cat preamp and the Dart amp should be a interesting match. If you do happen to acquire the Dart, please do report back on the result. I would expect a pretty good sound.

  9. #19
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam holland
    Posts
    3,849
    Sure , and my speakers are very easy to drive so the dart should be able to show its full potential.
    After that may be vitus levinson 33(h) and. Halcro lol.

    Actually found a way to get the cat more quit, parked the Transformers behind the door, apart from a slight tube hiss heard nearby the tweeter , probably SOTA amplification
    I can only Imagine how this Combo would sound in a sota room but IT would be a rush.
    But my room in belgium ain't bad , its Just you gotta keep the volume moderate.
    IMG_20180519_101232_8 by andromeda61, on Flickr
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 05-19-2018 at 11:33 AM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    Sure , and my speakers are very easy to drive so the dart should be able to show its full potential.
    After that may be vitus levinson 33(h) and. Halcro lol.

    Actually found a way to get the cat more quit, parked the Transformers behind the door, apart from a slight tube hiss heard nearby the tweeter , probably SOTA amplification
    I can only Imagine how this Combo would sound in a sota room but IT would be a rush.
    But my room in belgium ain't bad , its Just you gotta keep the volume moderate.
    IMG_20180519_101232_8 by andromeda61, on Flickr
    what kind of cables are you using?
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CAT " legend " preamplifier for sale netherlands
    By andromedaaudio in forum Buy and Sell Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
  2. Cat jl-2 mk 3 ?
    By 4music in forum Convergent Audio Technology Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 01:31 AM
  3. Audiophile Cat
    By MylesBAstor in forum Dog and Cat Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
  4. The mighty CAT preamps. From the SL1 Reference to the SL1 Renaissance and beyond..
    By DaveyF in forum Convergent Audio Technology Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 06:13 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •