Sme 30/2

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Peter, on the subject of Zenith, how much wiggle room in the head shell bolts do you have? Is it usually enough to adjust Zenith correctly? Just curious.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I have an SME table and arm. I used the SME protractor until I ordered a MINT LP arc-type protractor. The SME was close, but the MINT is slightly better. When Yip builds one for you, you must supply a very precise cartridge mounting hole to stylus tip distance so that he can trace the correct arc for the SME arm and your specific cartridge. Unlike with other arms that have slots in the headshell, the SME arms do not so you must give Yip that distance for his protractor to be accurate.

The advantage of the MINT is the zenith alignment at the null points. I think this is what microstrip refers to as "the alignment of the cartridge with the head-shell." This is extremely accurate and the results were clearly audible in my system.

Here is a photo:

View attachment 17536

View attachment 17537

Great pics Peter

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Peter, on the subject of Zenith, how much wiggle room in the head shell bolts do you have? Is it usually enough to adjust Zenith correctly? Just curious.

There's about a millimeter play, so unless the cantilever is way off, you usually have enough wiggle room.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
There's about a millimeter play, so unless the cantilever is way off, you usually have enough wiggle room.

Cool. If you want to borrow my Feickert until the Mint shows up, you are welcome to. Joe Pittman has one also if you happen to see him first. I have a feeling it is more accurate than the SME tractor.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats Bruce! I let go a 20/3 with a V arm some weeks back and regreting it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Peter,

don't SME arms have an adjustment in the pivot tower instead of cartridge slots? so you do micro overhang adjustments there?

I

Mike,

Yes, it is why no special ultra accurate protactor can be designed for it ... Even the smallest variation in cartridge tip to mounting holes would introduce a significant error.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I was wondering how Yip got his arc protractor right for the SME arm. Unfortunately it sounds like you need a different protractor for each cartridge unless the cartridge mounting hole to stylus tip are the same for each of your cartridges.

I had a Mint for a VPI Classic I used to have. It worked well. Hopefully Yip has specific instructions for the SME arm as it is a bit different than others.

I personally like the Feickert alignment protractor as it will work on any arm and also measure pivot to spindle distance as well. It is more accurate if it has a recess above the pivot point for the pin to drop into though. The Mint is nice because of the mirrored surface that allows you to correct for parallax error when adjusting zenith. I like to adjust zenith by ear anyway because the stylus may not be mounted to the cantilever perfectly square in many cases.

I have the Feickert alignment protractor and agree it's spindle to pivot tool is great when you have a spot to drop the pivot pin into that allows it to be precise, otherwise you end up having to 'sight' it. in my case, I have a purpose built metal spindle to pivot tool for both my Durand Telos arms which eliminate any issue of error on that. but if you have multiple arms with only paper templates (or no templates, just a distance) the Feickert tool is great.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have the Feickert alignment protractor and agree it's spindle to pivot tool is great when you have a spot to drop the pivot pin into that allows it to be precise, otherwise you end up having to 'sight' it. in my case, I have a purpose built metal spindle to pivot tool for both my Durand Telos arms which eliminate any issue of error on that. but if you have multiple arms with only paper templates (or no templates, just a distance) the Feickert tool is great.

That is great that the Telos comes with a custom built tool. It would be nice if more arms had their own.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just set the overhang. Had to move the arm back quite a way, about 5-6mm from the last cart. I had on there. Set VTF at 1.9gm. to start off with.

IMG_1013.JPG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That is great that the Telos comes with a custom built tool. It would be nice if more arms had their own.

The SME V comes with a built in custom alignement tool ... Perhaps it is too simple for hard vinylophes ... :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The SME V comes with a built in custom alignement tool ... Perhaps it is too simple for hard vinylophes ... :)

Sorry I should have said spindle to pivot distance tool. The SME does not require one as it's pivot moves instead of the cartridge. I'm sure the SME tractor works just fine. Maybe not the last word in accuracy though?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
After doing some more research online, it appears that SME designed their protractor to be correct for a standard cartridge screw hole to stylus tip distance. No idea what that standard distance is. So it may be correct for the cartridge you have or not. If you could find out what the distance SME designed it around and then measure your own cartridge then you could be sure.

I'm guessing that trying to measure mounting bolt to stylus tip distance is difficult. Especially because ideally the stylus should be loaded before measuring.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Hi Sean, There is only a tiny amount of wiggle room, but I have successfully aligned three different cartridges in the SME V and V-12 arms by rotating them about the zenith axis. My guess is that the rotation is about 5 degrees in either direction.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

don't SME arms have an adjustment in the pivot tower instead of cartridge slots? so you do micro overhang adjustments there?

I can see the advantage theoretically in that approach. making tiny overhang adjustments while maintaining zenith adjustments with slots can be maddening.

I've never owned an SME arm but I seem to remember that.

nice pictures, btw.

Thanks Mike. I've been lucky with some of those photos. They do give a good idea of what proper zenith alignment can look like. However, as has been mentioned, if the stylus is not squarely mounted in the cantilever, there will still be an issue. I have photographed stylii from below to see this mounting angle. Here is one example:

frame7.jpg

frame4.jpg

Yes, the overhang adjustment takes place by sliding the base of the arm fore and aft. This effects spindle to pivot distances as well as overhang. The SME V was designed assuming a standard cartridge mounting hole to stylus tip distance of, I believe, 9mm or 9.5mm. Cartridge designers did not adopt a standard distance which is why the MINT requires this measurement to be submitted with the order. Thus each MINT protractor for SME arms is specific to that arm and one particular cartridge.

I just aligned a friend's XV-1S on a TriPlanar yesterday with his MINT, and I know exactly what you mean about headshell mounting slots and trying to move the cartridge fore and aft without altering the zenith. I found the best way is to tighten one mounting screw only slightly and get the overhang right, then adjust for zenith, then reconfirm overhang, then tighten the other screw. The SME solution is much easier.

For Bruce and other owners trying to use the SME protractor: It is designed with the standard mounting hole to stylus tip distance. The arm will only line up perfectly within the outlines on the protractor if the cartridge meets this standard. If it does not, one only has to line up the edge of the arm tube with the drawing below on one side. It does not need to be centered to match both sides of the arm tube. The whole idea is that once it is lined up, the spindle to pivot distance will necessarily be correct. At least, this is how I understand it. It is a very elegant solution and make setting up the arm fairly easy.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have a feeling it is more accurate than the SME tractor.

The MINT is more accurate than the SME. This is because the stylus makes contact with the traced arc and it is an extremely thin line. With the proper magnification and lighting, one can see overhang errors of about 0.1mm. The SME protractor depends upon lining up the arm tube from above with the outline drawing below, which can be about 1"-1.5". That gets you close, but not precisely.

The other big advantage is the zenith lines at the null points.

Here are a couple of photos of my two MINT protractors for the different SME V arms. One is 9", the other 12". Note how much flatter the arc is for the longer arm and how much less the overhang is. Incidently, the headshell offset angle is also much less with the longer arm, so skating force is less.

DSC_1005.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mike,

Yes, it is why no special ultra accurate protactor can be designed for it ... Even the smallest variation in cartridge tip to mounting holes would introduce a significant error.

The MINT can be designed to work quite well with an SME arm. And it is ultra accurate, IMO. There is also that expensive German protractor designed by Dertonearm (Audiogon moniker) that has custom inserts for SME arms of different lenghts. It's called the Uni-Pivot or something and is supposed to also be ulta accurate and convenient.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The MINT is more accurate than the SME. This is because the stylus makes contact with the traced arc and it is an extremely thin line. With the proper magnification and lighting, one can see overhang errors of about 0.1mm. The SME protractor depends upon lining up the arm tube from above with the outline drawing below, which can be about 1"-1.5". That gets you close, but not precisely.

The other big advantage is the zenith lines at the null points.

Here are a couple of photos of my two MINT protractors for the different SME V arms. One is 9", the other 12". Note how much flatter the arc is for the longer arm and how much less the overhang is. Incidently, the headshell offset angle is also much less with the longer arm, so skating force is less.

View attachment 17545

Yes. As accurate as your gonna get as long as it is right for your particular cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing