Is there a linguistic barrier to appreciating music?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Some of my favorite music are in languages that I don't understand a word of.... but it also boils down to what you listen for. I need to be able to hear and understand the emotion and intent of the singer. Even if no words are sung, if the intent of the performers does not come across, then I find it too boring to listen to..... so, language is not necessary for me to distinguish between love and a proctologist.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Some of my favorite music are in languages that I don't understand a word of.... but it also boils down to what you listen for. I need to be able to hear and understand the emotion and intent of the singer. Even if no words are sung, if the intent of the performers does not come across, then I find it too boring to listen to..... so, language is not necessary for me to distinguish between love and a proctologist.

Yeah, but what if the singer is in love with their proctologist?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I agree Gary

Just for kicks, how many of you reading this thread are fans of Deep Forest where Michel Sanchez came up with the idea of mixing the native Baka pygmy spoken word with modern music after hearing on-site recordings of these tribes conversing. Along with Eric Mouquet they created the project Deep Forest (from Wiki)

I love the rhythm and beat of this group and I don't understand one word of any of their songs and have all of their albums

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have never heard of Michel Sanchez or Deep Forest and I guess I'm not up on my pygmies either because I have never heard of Baka pygmies.

Steve Williams

I have never heard of Michel Sanchez or Deep Forest and I guess I'm not up on my pygmies either because I have never heard of Baka pygmies.

good first one to start with Mark is their "Live In Japan" album

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
My kids loved Deep Forest when I turned them onto it many years ago. The idea of pygmy vocals just killed them, but they liked the music too.

Along the same lines, have you heard Do'a - not pygmys, more French I believe but similar world music vibe.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
good first one to start with Mark is their "Live In Japan" album

Do you have a link for this Steve? I admit I've never heard of it, but would like to investigate.

And as been mentioned before, if the music touches me emotionally then I'm unconcerned about the language in which the lyrics are sung. I love the French chansoniers like Aznavour and Becaud, because you don't have to understand the language to understand what they are talking about. Musical storytelling at its best.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I agree Gary

Just for kicks, how many of you reading this thread are fans of Deep Forest where Michel Sanchez came up with the idea of mixing the native Baka pygmy spoken word with modern music after hearing on-site recordings of these tribes conversing. Along with Eric Mouquet they created the project Deep Forest (from Wiki)

I love the rhythm and beat of this group and I don't understand one word of any of their songs and have all of their albums

Cool! Steve, I didn't know that you were a fan of ambient. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you have a link for this Steve? I admit I've never heard of it, but would like to investigate.

And as been mentioned before, if the music touches me emotionally then I'm unconcerned about the language in which the lyrics are sung. I love the French chansoniers like Aznavour and Becaud, because you don't have to understand the language to understand what they are talking about. Musical storytelling at its best.

Check this out John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXBjFkA-57A&list=PL5DB33080D526AF66

Made in Japan is a live album, but Deep Forest are known for their studio mixes. As with most ambient, it's "created music".

Steve Williams

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...296JO/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Typo. "Made" In Japan

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...296JO/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

Steve Williams

When i typed on "deep forest live in japan" at amazon canada I got this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Live-Japan-Dee...197&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+forest+live+in+japan

typing in made in japan returned this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Made-Japan-Liv...8-1-spell&keywords=deep+forest+made+iin+japan

2 versions?

same album John with the first being an Import and hence the price

The songs on that album are a good smattering of all of their hits. You won't understand one word starting with Ekue Ekue on track one

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
ASSUMPTION - that is an assumption the CDs are 2 versions [you did type a ? mark]. You will not know until you buy both. Amazon has good return policies.

zz.

Meant to type "pressings"....thought maybe a different master.

same album John with the first being an Import and hence the price

The songs on that album are a good smattering of all of their hits. You won't understand one word starting with Ekue Ekue on track one

Have ordered it! The less expensive one.;)

Check this out John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXBjFkA-57A&list=PL5DB33080D526AF66

Made in Japan is a live album, but Deep Forest are known for their studio mixes. As with most ambient, it's "created music".

Reminds me of Enigma somewhat. Found a youtube vid of the entire album....

Playing it now.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

+1

I adore Brazilian, Mexican and Cuban music despite not understanding a word of Portuguese or Spanish.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I do not care what language the music is performed in, and screaming is fine too. It's all music to my ears, about the only exception for me is rap . Not all though , I do not like the disrespectful over tones spoken about . I have many Latin albums
In I think the way they song is best. It's just feeled with emotion.

Al

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I do not care what language the music is performed in, and screaming is fine too. It's all music to my ears, about the only exception for me is rap . Not all though , I do not like the disrespectful over tones spoken about . I have many Latin albums
In I think the way they song is best. It's just feeled with emotion.

Al

You need to buy some Yoko Ono music if you enjoy screaming. There is a video on YouTube of John Lennon playing with Chuck Berry. Yoko is playing a tambourine I think and at some point Yoko starts screaming while Chuck is singing. The look on Chuck's face is priceless. I'm pretty sure if John hadn't been there that Chuck would have clocked her.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing