The Guilded Lily

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Perhaps it's me, BUT I'm seeing an awful lot of new re-issues being released on "premium" vinyl --200 gram and other high-end formats, that are to say the least---questionable. Why, because the original album wasn't worth a darn in the first place, certainly from a SQ perspective- AND MANY TIMES MUSICALLY AS WELL. Naturally these releases have had the benefit of new engineering or mastering ( usually), BUT IMO IF the original recording isn't up to snuff, then how far can you take the reissue? What brought me to post this is the new Ted Nugent/ Ted Nugent release on 200 gram.:eek:
How great can this LP be????:rolleyes: ( BUT the price of the reissue isn't something to make you wonder:(, LOL).
So, instead of the usual thread about recommending the best sounding or most impressive LP or CD, I thought we should highlight the turkey's, or those REISSUES to be wary of. Therefore POSSIBLY saving a lot of us some major angst and expense.

To start off, I nominate.....Quality Productions reissue of CAT Stevens TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN...IMO a BIG BIG disappointment on numerous levels.

Your nominations??

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i actually like Chad's Tea for the tillerman...I don't have, nor will I go to extraordinary lengths to find another orig. island pink label presing. why the world needs another tony joe white album reissue on HQ vinyl is beyond me, homemade ice cream was a yawner.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Rob, the way Chad's Tea was hyped, one thought it was the next coming:D, LOL. Although to be fair, it's not that bad, BUT I do think it has a "hard" quality to it that I just don't find realistic. The all pink island is better and I personally think Chad should have used that as a starting point. Nonetheless, your example of the tony joe white album is a good one....
the numerous weezer albums that are being released now, I don't get those??:confused:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
in the case of tony joe white, Chad and him are both louisianan and he grew up on the music his pet project of sorts. Ultimately Chad's the boss and calls the shots, if he wanted to reissue the bay city rollers or abba records they will...in fact I think someone is doing an abba reissue on HQ vinyl :rolleyes:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
in the case of tony joe white, Chad and him are both louisianan and he grew up on the music his pet project of sorts. Ultimately Chad's the boss and calls the shots, if he wanted to reissue the bay city rollers or abba records they will...in fact I think someone is doing an abba reissue on HQ vinyl :rolleyes:

I would seriously like to know how the various reissues are chosen from the originals. Presumably, the titles are of sufficient SQ and have been sought after enough in the past to consider the reissue. BUT, I not so sure this really is the case...ala my Ted Nugent example and your tony joe white.
OTOH, I know that we will ONLY hear of the successful reissue...never of the flop. I guess the vinyl and SACD reissue business is strong enough to survive a few misses here and there:confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing