RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Well, the highest-grossing film of all time arrives on Blu-Ray Thursday 4/22/10. From some reports, viewers at IMAX theaters were underwhelmed with the audio presentation. I read that a new "home theater" mix was created specifically for the BD release. Let's hope that it does a film of this "magnitude' justice!

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Given the fact that this movie will be released over and over again (with the next revision being 3-D, then special edition this and that), if the sound is not good we can just wait for the next version :p.

Seriously, I don't think it will have sub-par audio. It would be unlike Jim to approve something like that on a movie recently produced.

I had not heard about IMAX version not being as good. As you know, this was not an IMAX production so maybe something got lost there. I saw it in the regular theater and thought it sounded as good as any movie can in that setting.

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I saw Avatar twice in December in 3D. It was a visually stunning film and cannot imagine it would have nearly the same impact in the 2D version. I will be interested to read comments from those who have seen it in both formats.

Ken

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I took my glasses off multiple times during 3-D viewing and found that in some cases, I preferred the 2-D presentation. The latter had much more accurate colors for starters. I did not however to go to a 2-D version of it....

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I watched this movie with some family last night. I originally saw Avatar in 3-D IMAX and thought it looked fantastic. The 2-D Blu-ray is spectacular. I thought the colors were a bit sharper and clearer on the Blu-ray, than I remembered it in 3-D. One major thing that I missed from the 3-D experience though, were the shots from within tight, confined spaces, such as within some of the lab rooms with low ceilings, or from inside some of the marine air-ship cockpits. For example, in 3-D I actually felt like I was in the cockit, standing behind the pilot. In 2-D, you lose much of that effect. For all of the outside shots in the jungle, I believe I like the Blu-ray better. Like I said earlier, I thought the imagery and colors were a bit sharper. Plus, on big, open, outside scenes, I think 3-D looks more like 2-D. 3-D just seems to work best when relaying the sense of 'being inside of something', or for noting the 'roundness' of an object when standing close to it, such as when veiwing a gun-ship from just outside the cockpit, looking in with the crew inside.

All in all, I think Avatar is a great looking movie and should be in any Blu-ray collection. If nothing else, a great reference video.

Another note, after the credits rolled, an interesting Pandora inspired THX short rolled. I thinking this is really an odd place for it, since I almost missed it. I just wonder why it wasn't put at the beginning, before the movie. Or at the very least a way to find it for playback in the menu.

- Bill

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I saw part of Avatar on a JVC 4K projector couple of days ago and the presentation was far superior to the 3-D version as far as overall fidelity. There is a fairly high cost to watching things in 3-D....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing