Please help me identify this Coconut Drink

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. I am hoping this is a simple thing but all of my google searching has not given me the answer.

I have had the identical drink in a Thai and Pho restaurants. So I imagine it is a common drink that comes in a can and I can buy it in the asian supermarket.

They call it Coconut juice or something like that. The thing that is different about it is that there are these white pieces of something in there at the bottom. I really like the taste of those and the drink in general. I have bought other coconut juice cans but they don't have the white bits and not as sweet.

I found a can that had "jelly" in it which while somewhat close, still was something different.

Anyone know what it is?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That white stuff is coconut meat. There are basically three kinds of coconut meat. Those from ordinary coconuts (white fleshy) those from macapuno trees (white gummy) and Nata de Coco (Jelly made from coconut water, the Japanese love this). I get my coconut juice straight out of a coconut from a coconut street vendor a few blocks away so I'm not familiar with any of the shelved products. I did however do a search using Coconut water with meat and got a lot of hits. ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's probably this - coconut juice with the meat of fresh young coconut.

drink+998+f.jpg

drinks.jpg

You can also get a fresh whole young coconut frozen. The usual available brand is A-roy-D. It's in a box - with a picture of a young coconut. The juice is frozen into jelly-like constituency.

8451318253_e2801ecd94_z.jpg

You can get both in the frozen section at the Bellevue Uwajimaya.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like a big white Uni. LOL.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You won't miss mine. He's not very charming AND he has a machete. Hahahahaha!

Hey Gary, what do you call Taho in Singapore? It's that warm soft beancurd served with dark syrup and tapioca balls. Over here guys walk around carrying two big tin pails over their shoulders with a pole. I LOVE that. Too bad I'm on a diet!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I favor the fresh version over the canned, the later usually has added sugar or cane juice. I like to scrape the baby coconut 'meat' off the sides when the juice is gone - yum. my better half says coconut juice is great for kidney health.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey Gary, what do you call Taho in Singapore? It's that warm soft beancurd served with dark syrup and tapioca balls. Over here guys walk around carrying two big tin pails over their shoulders with a pole. I LOVE that. Too bad I'm on a diet!

Tau hway - but we don't have a dark syrup and tapioca balls. I love tau hway too - in Singapore, the best is on Prinsep Street near the Middle Road junction and they only open after 8pm at night......

I favor the fresh version over the canned, the later usually has added sugar or cane juice. I like to scrape the baby coconut 'meat' off the sides when the juice is gone - yum. my better half says coconut juice is great for kidney health.

Yes - the fresh version is far better. But there are pretty good canned versions that we can get here at the Asian supermarket that have not been over sweetened. Unfortunately, most of the canned ones are taken from coconuts that are way too old. The best is when you have baby coconut meat is soft enough to scrape off with a spoon. YUM.

YOUNG coconut juice is great for health. Unfortunately, most of the coconut juice that you can get in the US supermarkets come from old coconuts - which the Asians will tell you is BAD for health.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hi guys. I am hoping this is a simple thing but all of my google searching has not given me the answer.

I have had the identical drink in a Thai and Pho restaurants. So I imagine it is a common drink that comes in a can and I can buy it in the asian supermarket.

They call it Coconut juice or something like that. The thing that is different about it is that there are these white pieces of something in there at the bottom. I really like the taste of those and the drink in general. I have bought other coconut juice cans but they don't have the white bits and not as sweet.

I found a can that had "jelly" in it which while somewhat close, still was something different.

Anyone know what it is?

Amir,

You are in luck. I'm having a Pho Bho (double Tia - YUMM!!!) this afternoon. I'll snap a picture of the coconut drinks and either post here or send in a PM.

Dre

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Yes - the fresh version is far better. But there are pretty good canned versions that we can get here at the Asian supermarket that have not been over sweetened. Unfortunately, most of the canned ones are taken from coconuts that are way too old. The best is when you have baby coconut meat is soft enough to scrape off with a spoon. YUM.

YOUNG coconut juice is great for health. Unfortunately, most of the coconut juice that you can get in the US supermarkets come from old coconuts - which the Asians will tell you is BAD for health.

We're near the largest Vietnamese community in the US, fresh green coconuts are plentiful here year round. I heard there's a world-wide shortage of young coconuts caused by recent demand from the health drink industry. the worlds commercial crop are mostly from 60+ year old trees. they're scrambling now to plant new ones, but it will take years before they produce fruit.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Foco coconut juice is available in 99 Ranch markets around the US (I've seen them in many towns anyway). Even yummier is the Foco Roasted Coconut juice :)

However, the coconut meat in the Foco juice is older and harder than the soft succulent meat in the frozen juice I posted about earlier.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
However, the coconut meat in the Foco juice is older and harder than the soft succulent meat in the frozen juice I posted about earlier.
It seemed pretty soft and delicate to me. Oh well. I posted what I could find.

Dre

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
It seemed pretty soft and delicate to me. Oh well. I posted what I could find.

Dre

Dre, ive tried that exact brand and its nasty I used what was left to water my plants:(

if you're out here for the Newport show ill take you to little Saigon for the best bowl of Pho you've ever had for 5 bucks, for 5 bucks more you can get your haircut next door. A few doors down 15 bucks will get you 1-hour massage that would cost 150 at a resort:eek:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
if you're out here for the Newport show ill take you to little Saigon for the best bowl of Pho you've ever had for 5 bucks, for 5 bucks more you can get your haircut next door. A few doors down 15 bucks will get you 1-hour massage that would cost 150 at a resort:eek:

+1 :D

I've brought many other manufacturers and dealers to Chinese foot massages and Pho at the various audio shows. Since I haven't done the Newport show, I haven't found a good foot massage in SoCal yet.....

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
+1 :D

I've brought many other manufacturers and dealers to Chinese foot massages and Pho at the various audio shows. Since I haven't done the Newport show, I haven't found a good foot massage in SoCal yet.....

if you make this show I'll hook you up, Gary...and none of these joints take American express, cash only;)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre, ive tried that exact brand and its nasty I used what was left to water my plants:(

Rob,

The double Tai Pho Bho was still excellent as usual.

I never order the coconut juice. Only reason for doing so was to get info to Amir. It tasted was like water with hint of coconut in it and lots of coconut chunks which is what he asked about.

As for Newport... If I make it out to the left coast and have time, I'm in for a Pho Bho!

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing