A question about FLAC.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I save all of my ripped CD's as FLAC files to save space. I notice there are various levels of compression and the only thing I can think of for having this is saving space. Are there any other reasons one would use a higher or lower level of FLAC compression?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
With hard disk space being so cheap these days, I don't use FLAC to save space - I use it so that I can more easily add meta data. So, I generally rip as uncompressed FLAC. With the highest level of FLAC compression, it also takes longer to process (not an issue if you have a dual-core processor on your computer). It may take more processing to de-code. Although I haven't heard any difference on playback using my server, if you are obsessive, you may not want the computer working harder than it has to delivering your ears the music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you're saving as uncompressed FLAC, why not save it as a native WAV file?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Because FLAC allows for metadata to be stored together with the file. There are extensions to WAV that also allow metadata, but some players do not display that metadata. I like having artists, album, genre, etc. information.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Because FLAC allows for metadata to be stored together with the file. There are extensions to WAV that also allow metadata, but some players do not display that metadata. I like having artists, album, genre, etc. information.

Ahhhh....got it. And yes, I agree. Thanks for that! :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
and just to ad more spice to the discussion :)... You can always get the .wav from the .flac ... perfect (no losses of information whatsoever) conversion between the two, both ways ...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't trust FLAC, so I prefer AIFF, which is a better version of WAV, able to store metadata.

alexandre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't trust FLAC, so I prefer AIFF, which is a better version of WAV, able to store metadata.

alexandre

I don't trust Flac either. I loaned him $20.00 once and I never saw my money again.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

alexandre

Better move your money, because FLAC uses similar algorithms and checksums to the world-wide financial system.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahahaha, good one everybody :D

I just meant to say that I don't think FLAC is entirely transparent. There's an difference when you play a FLAC versus an AIFF, and I prefer the AIFF. At least on my Macs.

FLAC is sold as "bit perfect", "lossless", and as I said, it actually is, from a technical, "bits are bits" point of view. But I found a difference, so I don't like to use it. AIFF has support for metadata, so I can embed all the info I need.

alexandre

Reactions: audiopro92

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hahahaha, good one everybody :D

I just meant to say that I don't think FLAC is entirely transparent. There's an difference when you play a FLAC versus an AIFF, and I prefer the AIFF. At least on my Macs.

FLAC is sold as "bit perfect", "lossless", and as I said, it actually is, from a technical, "bits are bits" point of view. But I found a difference, so I don't like to use it. AIFF has support for metadata, so I can embed all the info I need.

alexandre
So you don't think AIFF > FLAC > AIFF is totally transparent??

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Haven't done that comparison. I've compared the same track, ripped to AIFF and FLAC, and I preferred the AIFF. So AIFF it is (for me).

alexandre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
does it matter what compression level (or none) you use for FLAC?

audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
I save all of my ripped CD's as FLAC files to save space. I notice there are various levels of compression and the only thing I can think of for having this is saving space. Are there any other reasons one would use a higher or lower level of FLAC compression?
Most of my music library is CD quality (Redbook) 16 bit by 44.1 KHz .wav files. Some hi-res in there just because.
While both .wav and .flac are lossless (not lossy) formats: Convert to uncompressed FLAC? - Adobe Community - 10301271

Check out the first reply.

I have found the sound quality of .flac to be ever-so slightly inferior to .wav files.
While .wav files can be intercepted and played natively; .flac files need to be unpacked first, then played.

And for CD quality audio I'd recommend: CD Ripper Software. Easily Convert CDs to MP3 or WAV (nch.com.au)

Bit-perfect; even down to the last KB ! You may be surprised...
I'd suggest a stand-alone CD ripper (not slim-line) or using the optical drive in a tower server.
And with ECC memory (RAM) on a computer, you may never burn another bad disc.

- DMK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing