Your thoughts on 45RPM pressings, please!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only have 2 of these pressings (Fleetwood Mac-Rumours and Rickie Lee Jones - S/T debut), so I may not be the best judge of them. However, I do have an opinion and here it is.

While I like the increase in sonics, although I expected more from Rumours, I find the shortened playback time a real hinderance for complete enjoyment. And I couldn't ever imagine some of my favourite Prog Rock albums in that format. I think I'll stick to good quality 33RPM reissues instead as I'm not willing to sacrifice my enjoyment over the better (questionable) sonics.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I only have 2 of these pressings (Fleetwood Mac-Rumours and Rickie Lee Jones - S/T debut), so I may not be the best judge of them. However, I do have an opinion and here it is.

While I like the increase in sonics, although I expected more from Rumours, I find the shortened playback time a real hinderance for complete enjoyment. And I couldn't ever imagine some of my favourite Prog Rock albums in that format. I think I'll stick to good quality 33RPM reissues instead as I'm not willing to sacrifice my enjoyment over the better (questionable) sonics.

John, there are a lot of great 45RPM's out there. You and I don't own a lot of them ( I have only just recently been able to play these LP's). However, I am fairly certain that IF an LP sounds great in the standard 33RPM format, it will sound better in the 45RPM format. Certainly the shortened playback is a factor, BUT I don't mind getting off my behind and turning the LP over. To me, the ability to max sonics overrides the over issues. YMMV.:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What Davey said. I'd just like to point out a potential downside. If one, isn't using a quiet enough table, the noise of the stylus going over the vinyl at much greater speed might be louder than you're used to. With my old table I found many Clarity 45s too rumble-y. It was frustrating. The culprit was in large part the stylus drag as I was using a carbon fiber mat which was prone to slipping at 45 rpm. The lightweight mat also kind of had air pockets between that and the platter. Using a record weight helped a lot. Still when I switched to my current table with vacuum hold down and a whole lot of isolation, the noise floor dropped like a rock and the dynamic ranged launched like a rocket.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The RLJ 45 is outstanding and I really like it, but man it's annoying to have to change sides that quickly...it upsets my focus and that the big hinderance for me. And while I appreciate the extra detail and better overall sound, I'm not sure (for me) it's worth the extra expense when I have a more than acceptable 33RPM alternative that allows me to zone in. And that is very important to me. I think I'm going to be very selective on future 45RPM pressings.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am fairly certain that IF an LP sounds great in the standard 33RPM format, it will sound better in the 45RPM format. Certainly the shortened playback is a factor, BUT I don't mind getting off my behind and turning the LP over. To me, the ability to max sonics overrides the over issues. YMMV.:)

yup...and more exercise spinning 45.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Sorry but if that's the worst complaint then.....

I mean let's get real. :(

There are no questionable sonic improvements either. The improved specs at 45 rpm are indisputable.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the 45s are clearly superior, I only question some of the titles they choose to reissue in this format. I have 45s that could just as well be served at 33, the content imo dosent merit the trouble or expense or 45 remastering. I have a small fortune in 45s and they clearly are SOTA in sound repro and for me puts to rest whether or not i need R2R.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The RLJ 45 is outstanding and I really like it, but man it's annoying to have to change sides that quickly...it upsets my focus and that the big hinderance for me. And while I appreciate the extra detail and better overall sound, I'm not sure (for me) it's worth the extra expense when I have a more than acceptable 33RPM alternative that allows me to zone in. And that is very important to me. I think I'm going to be very selective on future 45RPM pressings.

Geez John, next thing you know you will start thinking that playing 33 1/3 LPs is a drag and you will switch over to being a digital couch potato. Yikes!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry but if that's the worst complaint then.....

I mean let's get real. :(

There are no questionable sonic improvements either. The improved specs at 45 rpm are indisputable.

Sorry Myles, but the Rumours discs didn't grab me with extreme superiority. RLJ is another story......superb.

Geez John, next thing you know you will start thinking that playing 33 1/3 LPs is a drag and you will switch over to being a digital couch potato. Yikes!

Not quite, but the flow of music is important to me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-The whole point of 45 RPM pressings is to give you the best sound possible from the source material to disc. It sounds like you have decided you would rather trade off some increase in sound quality in order to enjoy "the flow of music." To each his own Bro.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sorry Myles, but the Rumours di
cs didn't grab me with extreme superiority. RLJ is another story......superb.

Not quite, but the flow of music is important to me.

You need to separate the technology from the remastering, original recording or even the condition of the tape. Just as something being a high rez recording doesn't ensure it will sound good, neither does an album being cut at 45 rpm guarantee a sonic blockbuster. But all things being equal....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-The whole point of 45 RPM pressings is to give you the best sound possible from the source material to disc. It sounds like you have decided you would rather trade off some increase in sound quality in order to enjoy "the flow of music." To each his own Bro.

That's exactly it and I sense you don't share that view, which is perfectly fine with me. That flow is important to me as a listener and if sacrificing sound a little bit is the result, then I can live with that quite happily. Remember, I'm in this hobby for the music as I've said since day one and I want to enjoy that in ways that bring me the most pleasure. That goes against the mantra of many here, and I respect that, but I hope I can also be respected for enjoying music in a manner that is satisfying for me.

Having said that, I am not against 45RPM at all, but I think I will be more selective before acquiring a pressing. It's not just about sonics for me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Of course I don't share that view. Given a choice between a great pressing from a great recording or a good pressing from a great recording, I'm going for the great pressing. I don't care if I have to get up off my butt and flip the LP over. I need all the exercise I can get, trust me. But I understand your perspective as well. So I will still respect you for enjoying music, I'm just not going to hook you up with my sister now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Of course I don't share that view. Given a choice between a great pressing from a great recording or a good pressing from a great recording, I'm going for the great pressing. I don't care if I have to get up off my butt and flip the LP over. I need all the exercise I can get, trust me. But I understand your perspective as well. So I will still respect you for enjoying music, I'm just not going to hook you up with my sister now.

LOL! tell her I said Hi anyway!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have about 70 45rpm reissues, the vast majority done by Classic Records a few years ago, after they did their 33 reissues. I found the sound quality to be signficantly better with the 45's, but some have real side turn issues - like fades in the middle of movements (the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Heifetz is particularly egregious). However, for the few non classical albums I have, like Stardust by Willie Nelson it just means getting up every few (sometimes 5-7) minutes and flipping over the record. I've solved both problems with my ripping project, just joining the sides - carefully with my fancy Pyramix software in the case of the bad side breaks and just stringing together the popular albums. I can even put the entire album on one file if I want. Of course, I get to declick the records at the same time.

I'm not a big jazz fan, but I have a friend who has many of the Blue Note and Verve 45's that Chad Kassem has released. They seem to be very well done and the original Blue Notes are pretty pricey, I am told. I don't think Chad has released them as 33's, though I may be mistaken.

Larry

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think that Gino Vannelli - Brother To Brother would be a most excellent choice for a 45 RPM pressing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
the 45s are clearly superior, I only question some of the titles they choose to reissue in this format. I have 45s that could just as well be served at 33, the content imo dosent merit the trouble or expense or 45 remastering. I have a small fortune in 45s and they clearly are SOTA in sound repro and for me puts to rest whether or not i need R2R.

78s are even better, but selections are incredibly limited.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing