Nola Concert Grands

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
IMHO we should remember now the wise and often referred comment by James Moir ‘…in my view, if a room requires extensive treatment for stereophonic listening there is something wrong with the stereophonic equipment or recording. The better the reproduction system, the less trouble we have with room acoustics.’

LOL. You have no idea how I wish that this was true...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree with Elliot that if you don't want to provide any specifics about when you were at HPs and what you were listening to that caused you to make denigrating remarks about his system, it really would have been best to keep the comments to yourself.

You should follow your own advice!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Actually, Carl has given out his speaker to many reviewers over they many years. http://www.nolaspeakers.com/reviews_b.php

But people need to bear in mind that many established high-end audio companies, whether it be NOLA, etc., basically want reviewers with some credibility reviewing their products. Their position is that a review by a newbie does them no good. That's in contrast say to a new company who's eager to get their name on the map and will on the whole, lend their gear out anyone who will review their equipment. And HP and Carl go way, way back and obviously Carl still feels that a good review by HP will really help him sell his speakers.

Many years ago, I reviewed his first "mini" speaker, the Alon Adriannas, a real honey of a product, with a drop dead finish. The only problem with the Adrianna was they were ahead of their time; no one wanted to pay 10K mini speaker back in the late '90s IIRC.

I understand your point and I agree with you. Unfortunately a large segment of the audiophile community obtains their information on what they "should" buy based on a trend deserved or not often started by slick marketing including the "lending" of equipment (and other perks) to supposed reviewers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Many years ago, I reviewed his first "mini" speaker, the Alon Adriannas, a real honey of a product, with a drop dead finish. The only problem with the Adrianna was they were ahead of their time; no one wanted to pay 10K mini speaker back in the late '90s IIRC.

It may not have been too far ahead of its time: Skip forward just seven or so years. The Magico Mini was introduced at twice that amount, $20K. Some balked, reviewers took note, the forums lit up, and a few people listened and bought them. Shortly thereafter, the upgraded Mini II was released at $25K and even more people bought it. Sure there was plenty of reviewer interest and forum buzz, but mostly, people went to listen to it at a variety of dealerships. Despite the outrageous price for a "mini", it sold pretty well and it put Magico on the map. Regardless of what one may think of Magico, it's a great marketing story. People still talk about the impact that "mini" speaker had.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
He gives a view of things in his own context targeted for a particular type of readership, accuracy is very relative in this case...

Well, since his readership is the only group reading his reviews, that makes sense. What I meant by "accurate" was reproducible and understandable to the reader, and likely to agree with the reader's own characterization of the sound. I purposely called attention to the fact that it made no difference whether HP (or his reader) liked the overall sound or not.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, since his readership is the only group reading his reviews, that makes sense. What I meant by "accurate" was reproducible and understandable to the reader, and likely to agree with the reader's own characterization of the sound. I purposely called attention to the fact that it made no difference whether HP (or his reader) liked the overall sound or not.

He had/has a readership that includes both those who find him the absolute authority and many who don't think much of him or his reviews and his conclusions. I realize that reviewing isn't easy, often the reviewer gets a bunch of equipment, sometimes the wrong speaker for the system or the room and they have to make heads and tails of everything without the sufficient time to arrive at the ideal setup. Then they have to take the abstract, the subjective and the objective then put into words for others to share a moment in time with them; its both skill and art. The reviews can provide valuable service to both the industry and the audiophile but someone will always pay the price when they're misleading, self serving and presented as an absolute. Most reviewers that I've met and respect present the reader with a number of opinions and facts allowing him to draw his own conclusions, specially if you can read in between the lines. That's a very different approach to stringing along a bunch of factoids and claiming it as final opinion.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) People still talk about the impact that "mini" speaker had.

Very true IMHO. Although I never considered too seriously any of the Magico's, the mini II was a speaker that always attracted my attention. Besides, it integrates rooms and decoration with great harmony.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I keep getting yelled at on this site for all kinds of reasons but when people who have no point to make, and no facts to back up there pointless comments, continue to change and dilute the subject matter it is difficult to not call them out.
The thread is about the Nola speakers which are incredibly good. The thread is not about some fictitious visit to Harry Pearson's home to listen to buzzing and humming imaginary speakers and electronics.
I am not friends any longer with Mr. Pearson but I will say that I have been to his home many times ( over 50) and have never heard what this person has described. In fact for the most part HP's sound has been excellent and at times showed me what is possible and he has done that for many people.
I am not here to defend him nor any reviewer since I think that the review process is the cause of most of the problems within the audio Industry.
I am however really tired of the insane comments made about audio products by people that hide behind some BS name and make BS comments about something that they are obviously not qualified to make.
So kick me off again I dont care!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I keep getting yelled at on this site for all kinds of reasons but when people who have no point to make, and no facts to back up there pointless comments, continue to change and dilute the subject matter it is difficult to not call them out.
The thread is about the Nola speakers which are incredibly good. The thread is not about some fictitious visit to Harry Pearson's home to listen to buzzing and humming imaginary speakers and electronics.
I am not friends any longer with Mr. Pearson but I will say that I have been to his home many times ( over 50) and have never heard what this person has described. In fact for the most part HP's sound has been excellent and at times showed me what is possible and he has done that for many people.
I am not here to defend him nor any reviewer since I think that the review process is the cause of most of the problems within the audio Industry.
I am however really tired of the insane comments made about audio products by people that hide behind some BS name and make BS comments about something that they are obviously not qualified to make.
So kick me off again I dont care!

You should be smart and take this up off line with me and not here. Just because you don't like my comments doesn't make them fictitious.

david

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I personally dont care what you experience is with HP. I realize he is not a warm and fuzzy individual however the thread is about Nola speakers and you have added nothing to the discussion about them just some vague negative comments about one person who doesn't have anything to do with Nola.
Its not that i dont like your comments its really that this is the problem with the entire internet.
The total lack of facts or the making of an opinion into a truth without proof.
So if you have something intelligent to add to the discussion of the Nola speakers Sir please go ahead if not start a new thread about how you hate HP

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I personally dont care what you experience is with HP. I realize he is not a warm and fuzzy individual however the thread is about Nola speakers and you have added nothing to the discussion about them just some vague negative comments about one person who doesn't have anything to do with Nola.
Its not that i dont like your comments its really that this is the problem with the entire internet.
The total lack of facts or the making of an opinion into a truth without proof.
So if you have something intelligent to add to the discussion of the Nola speakers Sir please go ahead if not start a new thread about how you hate HP

I am not sure why you would expect comments about NOLA speakers on a NOLA speaker thread?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I am not sure why you would expect comments about NOLA speakers on a NOLA speaker thread?

where are the "moderators" when WE need them.....

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
They've were alerted yesterday (I imagine they were checking in anyway) but just IMHO posts have not quite descended to the level of personal insults. Their opinion may differ, of course...

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I could insult someone, personally, if it would help. ;)

Feel free. I don't take it personally. The only ones who don't insult me are my dogs so I am used to the abuse.

Plus my speakers, which are Concert Grands, are better than yours so now you have good reason.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Plus my speakers, which are Concert Grands, are better than yours so now you have good reason.

There is are no better speakers than big Dunlavys setup correctly in a room conducive to their performance envelope. End of story.

:)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There is are no better speakers than big Dunlavys setup correctly in a room conducive to their performance envelope. End of story.

I bet you need Stillpoints, though :p

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

ahhh the internet and the one man survey

survey says::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Have you performed distortion measurements at the NRC and a ABX test? Only way I'll buy them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing