The CAT amps

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I used to remember a reviewer from the late Fi and TAS magazine who uses a CAT preamp w/ Jadis 500 driving the Avalon's .Then when he wrote for Fi magazine he replaced the Jadis w/ the CAT JL .Is this guy Dr. Michael Gindi. I used to enjoy reading his reviews. Does he still write/review audio for any publication?

Yes that was Michael. He wrote for me after Fi. Actually Avalons were early on. Actually Michael settled for the MBL 101As and had the best setup of this speaker, past or present, that I've heard. I preferred the CAT amps (these were the first gen so that dates them) to the Jadis in his system. Last I heard, Michael has kinda dropped out of audio :(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So Myles how about posting the cover of your initial publication.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Yes that was Michael. He wrote for me after Fi. Actually Avalons were early on. Actually Michael settled for the MBL 101As and had the best setup of this speaker, past or present, that I've heard. I preferred the CAT amps (these were the first gen so that dates them) to the Jadis in his system. Last I heard, Michael has kinda dropped out of audio :(

Thanks Myles for your reply.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Myles that's cool.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
http://www.bold-highend.de/2_news/download/Convergent_LP310_S 54-57 indd.pdf

review of the jl 2 , look at the weight of the amp and the seize of the powersupply , heavy copper/iron , size does matter:D
a lot of hardwiring inside .
I am thinking of 2 systemdirections .
Either buy a cat jl2 sign (or jl3 ) and/or a legend eventually , and have an all tube system
Or go with the mark levinson 326S /phono and keep the krells , neutrality and tube maintenance free.

Or swap the current pre for a legend and keep the krells also

Edit
Or go for zanden 3000 /1200 , but i dont want to spend that much on audio

I am talking second hand stuff

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'd be very tempted to go with the matching amp for your CAT.

Although the CAT amps run hot and are pricey to re-tube, which you probably have to do if you are buying used, IMO they would be a great step up over your current Krells.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well yes i am also quit curious as to what a triode with balls has to offer , i might buy/keep both actually and keep the krells untill i know what to sell .
I did have a graaf gm 200 otl for a while and didnt find it better than the ML , a bit more tubey/sompy sounding but not better , in the end neutrality does it for me and the cat poweramp has to be that or else it will be not a stayer .
My current design speaker will have also around 92 db eff(and high xo impedance ) and will be a MTM module on top of a woofer module with a 11 and 13 inch woofer(roughly spoken a maxx 3 size system ) , and i like unit control by a power amp, i dont know if the cat(jl 2 ) is up to the task , i am talking full throttle /total control audio:D

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well yes i am also quit curious as to what a triode with balls has to offer , i might buy/keep both actually and keep the krells untill i know what to sell .
I did have a graaf gm 200 otl for a while and didnt find it better than the ML , a bit more tubey/sompy sounding but not better , in the end neutrality does it for me and the cat poweramp has to be that or else it will be not a stayer .
My current design speaker will have also around 92 db eff(and high xo impedance ) and will be a MTM module on top of a woofer module with a 11 and 13 inch woofer(roughly spoken a maxx 3 size system ) , and i like unit control by a power amp, i dont know if the cat(jl 2 ) is up to the task , i am talking full throttle /total control audio:D

Well, I would think that IF the CAT amp isn't up to the task, then nothing would be. IF the speaker is going to be 92db efficient that shouldn't present much of a load to most amps, never mind one as powerful as the CAT. At full throttle, your'e going to risk going a little deaf, LOL:eek:.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Okay, probably no problem then , next thing is noise , as i run a virtually analogue only music system , i dont want (more) hiss , are they quit , and what will the jl 3 bring what the jl2 doesnt besides power ???

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Okay, probably no problem then , next thing is noise , as i run a virtually analogue only music system , i dont want (more) hiss , are they quit , and what will the jl 3 bring what the jl2 doesnt besides power ???

Whenever I have heard the CAT amps, they have been quiet. OTOH, like all tube amps, they are subject to the quality of the tubes that one uses, so this would definitely be a variable. My experience with the JL3 is fairly limited, so I couldn't really comment as to the differences between the JL2 and the JL3.
Today, i did a long listening session with my ARC D70Mk2 and with the rolled in tubes that I use, it was nearly as quiet as a good ss amp. However,the sense of space and air around the instruments is much more than just about any ss amp that I have ever heard. Tubes have a way of doing that.:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well the krells are for sale , sometimes its just time for a change and expirience something new .
If they go away it ll be with pain in the heart just as i felt a little pain when the ML 431 left :eek:

I have a potential serious buyer now , so the JL 3 sign could be in the room in a matter of weeks , i am talking second hand " if the transaction goes through"

In search for the ultimate audiothrill :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What makes you so shure ???
I ll post when i have a new amp and i ll post on my new speakerproject which will be very different

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
JL 2 sign mk 2 in the house , these have KT 120 tubes however , according to the dealer they sound more lineair dynamic , less " midrange tubey" .
Originally they were designed for 6550 tubes , kt 120 are a little taller so unfortunately the tubecages dont fit anymore
any thoughts on bias settings ? i currently use 28 ?

DSC_0190 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC_0191 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing