PSE, meet the Typhon

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Parallel, Simple, Effective

I have a little over an hour on the Typhon and... years ago, I determined Power Conditioning was not for me - simply, most products are junk... in series, convoluted, they give you something and take away something else, you get the drift. Then I set my requirements: Parallel, Simple and Effective. The Equi=Tech isn't that, and I know it's effective, but it's still in series. So does such a thing as a P.S.E. exist? Hadn't found it.

The Typhon/Triton have garnered a lot of attention here and elsewhere. I don't care for long posts, so I'll be brief for now:

1. The dynamic range gain is phenomenal. Steve said ~4dBs??? Even more here; your tubes are showing their age??? :D
  2. Beyond a certain [high] volume level I always wanted to turn the volume down - now I want to turn it up; the distortion level is much lower
  3. The feeling of presence is phenomenal
  4. Instrument separation to yet another level
  5. More depth? Sure

This is gigantic improvement, and the manual says I have to let it settle in for 5 days? The question is how do I get another one in 5 days. More in 5 days...

PS: Shunyata "seals" a couple of the top screws with glue... that was funny !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff...congrats. Are you keeping it? Look forward to the next 5 days of comments!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I have a little over an hour on the Typhon and... years ago, I determined Power Conditioning was not for me - simply, most products are junk... in series, convoluted, they give you something and take away something else, you get the drift. Then I set my requirements: Parallel, Simple and Effective. The Equi=Tech isn't that, and I know it's effective, but it's still in series. So does such a thing as a P.S.E. exist? Hadn't found it.

The Typhon/Triton have garnered a lot of attention here and elsewhere. I don't care for long posts, so I'll be brief for now:

1. The dynamic range gain is phenomenal. Steve said ~4dBs??? Even more here; your tubes are showing their age??? :D
  2. Beyond a certain [high] volume level I always wanted to turn the volume down - now I want to turn it up; the distortion level is much lower
  5. More depth? Sure

This is gigantic improvement, and the manual says I have to let it settle in for 5 days? The question is how do I get another one in 5 days. More in 5 days...

Once you feel it's broken in, start experimenting with placement and isolation. I've tried a number of different methods as I've documented in other threads. Unfortunately, Stillpoints Ultra 5s are clearly the winner and you will not believe the level of improvement yet possible with the Typhon when paired with the Stillpoints. Not opinion ....fact.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ack...congrats! It'll get better! They might glue the screws for resonance...or safety....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Once you feel it's broken in, start experimenting with placement and isolation. I've tried a number of different methods as I've documented in other threads. Unfortunately, Stillpoints Ultra 5s are clearly the winner and you will not believe the level of improvement yet possible with the Typhon when paired with the Stillpoints. Not opinion ....fact.

I believe music direct has a 30 day return policy. Maybe I should try one for my power amp circuit. I am using Venom defenders in each mono block wall outlet and it did drop the noise floor a bit on the amps. Hmmmm

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I believe music direct has a 30 day return policy. Maybe I should try one for my power amp circuit. I am using Venom defenders in each mono block wall outlet and it did drop the noise floor a bit on the amps. Hmmmm

You have to get the Anaconda umbilical to go with it. They don't recommend regular length power cords but you won't be sorry. It's not a marginal upgrade.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Congratulations. I have had my Triton for two years at least, and love it. Everything by Shunyata that I have added has made a positive improvement. I am just about ready to finally add a Typhon, and expect once again to be amazed.

As a side-note when I first got my Triton, the AC connection was covered with an orange sticker. It effectively hid the connector. So, I went to plug it in, and the only connector I saw was the Typhon umbilical connector. At that point I thought I had been shipped a Triton that was going to some other country that used a different AC connector. By now it is around 5-6 Friday night and I thought I was in trouble, but I received a reply from Shunyata customer service that said take off the sticker. Duh!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Do you use it for amps only or source too ?

I have a Typhon connected to a Triton for my front end. The Typhon connects via an umbilical to the Triton. There are no outlets on the Typhon, outlets are in the Triton. I also have a separate Typhon for each Xs300 as each has its own 20A circuit.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have a Typhon connected to a Triton for my front end. The Typhon connects via an umbilical to the Triton. There are no outlets on the Typhon, outlets are in the Triton. I also have a separate Typhon for each Xs300 as each has its own 20A circuit.

Where did it make the most difference...source components or the power amps ?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Thats a tough call. I added the Triton/ Typhon on the front end first. They replaced an excellent Audience unit and was far better. I then added the Typhons on the amps and the improvement is immediate and decisive. It's not like you have to go back and forth to hear it or decide if you like it. It's not just different, it's better.

Steve Williams has offered similar opinions to mine. He's basically using the same Shunyata configuration I'm using.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I would recommend trying the Triton/Typhon combo on your front end first if possible. I'm not sure what you're currently using. You should use Shunyata power cords and umbilical though, that's a must. Either the Anaconda PC or the less expensive and new ALPHA HC. Steve reports great results with the Alpha HC on his amps and I think it's only $995 compared to $3k list for the Anaconda. The Anaconda umbilical lists for $2k.

I think you know Mark at Music Direct? He'll set up a demo although I think they're currently out of Typhons.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

5. More depth? Sure

I told you to beware Peter because once you listen you will never ever listen without that Shunyata Triton/Typhon

Now get a pair of Typhons and put them in the AC duplex where each of your monoblocks are plugged

WRT the 4 db of gain that we found that was based on my preamp showing a 2-3 click change upwards. I remembered it being three clicks which would be 6 Db of gain rather than 2 clicks or 4 Db of gain

Nonetheless the first thing that struck me was the perceived increase in SPL over levels where I normally listen

Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe Peter :) You've had a drink of the Kool Aid

Rather than taking them apart just sit back and enjoy the music. You need 200 hours minimum on those Hydras so be prepared for it to even get better

Steve Williams

Christian

when I told you that this was for me and my ears a game changer. As Peter seemed to once be a disbeliever he has now become a member of the club

As you know I use a Triton Typhon for all of my front end gear and I posted my findings before I added the other two Typhons. The findings of everyone who has heard them say the same thing....the music comes alive, with a 3D soundstage that is like nothing you have ever heard and a sense of air around the musicians and singers

Then when I added the two Typhons as did Frank the change in my sound floor was astonishing. My tube hiss is totally gone.

Like Frank I use Anaconda PC from the wall to my Triton and I have Anaconda umbilicals for my three Typhons

I have also found like Peter that I am now turning the music higher because distortion is virtually non existent

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would recommend trying the Triton/Typhon combo on your front end first if possible. I'm not sure what you're currently using. You should use Shunyata power cords and umbilical though, that's a must. Either the Anaconda PC or the less expensive and new ALPHA HC. Steve reports great results with the Alpha HC on his amps and I think it's only $995 compared to $3k list for the Anaconda. The Anaconda umbilical lists for $2k.

I think you know Mark at Music Direct? He'll set up a demo although I think they're currently out of Typhons.

I would do the shunyata umbilicals for the typhon. I am not switching out my Odin power cords however.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I would do the shunyata umbilicals for the typhon. I am not switching out my Odin power cords however.

No, I'm just saying to use Shunyata power cords on Shunyata equipment.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
WBF is killing me!!!

What to do first - Shunyata or Stillpoints?

Steve, do you use 1 Typhon for each amp because they are on separate circuits? If I use just one 20 amp circuit for both mono blocks and my preamp (digital is on another circuit), do I only need 1 Typhon?

Steve Williams

WBF is killing me!!!

Steve, do you use 1 Typhon for each amp because they are on separate circuits? If I use just one 20 amp circuit for both mono blocks and my preamp (digital is on another circuit), do I only need 1 Typhon?

I have monoblocks so I use one Typhon in each AC duplex where my amps are plugged

The change is like nothing I can ever describe. Hearing is believing as peter just discovered

As for other cables I have made a decision to go all Shunyata PC, SC and IC in my system.. I am a believer

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
WBF is killing me!!!

Stillpoints on the speakers first. They are transformational to the speaker's performance. I think isolation is the first priority, power products secondary in the grand scheme of things. At least that is the way I look at it.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Typhon is connected to the same GTX-R outlet as the main MIT Z-Strip - which hosts everything but the tuner, R2R and MLs - for star-grounding. The addition here, that probably no one else has, is a plug with a single ground wire which connects and routes all the custom shielded power cord connectors to the Z-Strip as well (it's a bit of a maze, but extremely effective). If I were to get another Typhon, it would go into the same circuit and wouldn't want to connect it to the Z-Strip. One thing that's clearly missing in the Typhon's architecture is a second IEC inlet/outlet to let you connect multiple ones in parallel, w/o having to go to the wall. What I also welcome is the steel case; contrast with that silly aluminum of the twice-as-expensive and N-times more sensitive Pass XP-25 thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing