New Subforum Created

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It is with great pleasure that we welcome Mark Levinson to What's Best Forum. Mark has made it known that he is anxious to participate and help members in any way he can.

To that extent I have established the new Daniel Hertz, and Founder Mark Levinson (the person) Forum

Please extend to Mark all the courtesies that are given to our Industry Experts

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forum...-Hertz-and-Founder-Mark-Levinson-(the-person)

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks to Steve for the opportunity to be part of WBF, and hi to all! Feel free to ask any questions, exchange info and make suggestions. I have already learned a lot from communication with WBF members, and look forward to more. Daniel Hertz is a small company based on personal relationship and communication. Our web site is www.danielhertz.com . We are working on the site and will soon add a music download store of recordings made by various engineers including me. Living in Europe since 2007 has reinforced my connection to the artisanal, to classical music, and to making every day a chance for learning, happiness, love, and beauty. It is a rare blessing at age 67 to have a 5 year old son, Anton. His mom works with me at Daniel Hertz.

I appreciate the candor, passion, and enthusiasm of WBF, and look forward to communicating with you. Please let me know if you have any specific questions, and if there are particular subjects you would like to open up for discussion with me.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks to Steve for the opportunity to be part of WBF, and hi to all! Feel free to ask any questions, exchange info and make suggestions. I have already learned a lot from communication with WBF members, and look forward to more. Daniel Hertz is a small company based on personal relationship and communication. Our web site is www.danielhertz.com . We are working on the site and will soon add a music download store of recordings made by various engineers including me. Living in Europe since 2007 has reinforced my connection to the artisanal, to classical music, and to making every day a chance for learning, happiness, love, and beauty. It is a rare blessing at age 67 to have a 5 year old son, Anton. His mom works with me at Daniel Hertz.

I appreciate the candor, passion, and enthusiasm of WBF, and look forward to communicating with you. Please let me know if you have any specific questions, and if there are particular subjects you would like to open up for discussion with me.

Thanks Myles and Mark and good to have you on board.
I was going to post the following but your arrival prompts me to start the ball rolling on this sub forum.
I have steadily been upgrading my system for the last 20 years as more funds became available. The original Naim Nait 3 progressed through the Naim range right up to the 500/552 plus DR. the Royd Minstrels via M&S Performance 6s to YG Carmels, Naim Nat 01 to MD 108T (plus Ron Smith Galaxie 17 external aerial),DCS Puccini plus Puccini clock and within the last twelve months Entreq cabling and interconnects and two Silver Tellus and a Minimus. I also bought an Audience Aspect power conditioner about 5 years ago. All the upgrades worked and I had no regrets.
About 5 years ago I installed a Denon 3800 AV amp and matching Blu ray player again with no problems.
More recently I changed the Naim 552/500 for a Vitus SIA 025 and have been delighted with it. My next upgrade plan was to try the Entreq Atlantis and Atlantis earth cables and will still probably do that.
That is the background to my query. Before Xmas I was fortunate enough to acquire a Townshend Rock V to replace my fully Funk firmed Linn LP 12 and very recently to find a Townshend Merlin power supply which I can't use at the moment because the motor on the Rock V has to be modified to 110 volt operation for the Merlin power supply which will be done shortly.
Anyway I had some problems selling the Linn so decided to trade it in against an Anthem MXR 710 AV amp and a new Velodyne sub to replace the ageing M&K sub which had a defective volume control.They were both professionally installed last Friday evening and sounded great through the Carmels and the M&S Mezzo rears,
I watched a couple of programmes on BBC 4 that night (Julian Bream and History of American Rock) and the improvement in the sound quality was clearly apparent. Before retiring I switched to BBC Radio 2 and found that it was sounding a lot better than hitherto. I wondered if it was me and the usual benefits of late night listening but no the same improvement was there the next morning and the sound quality from the Puccini has also improved significantly - lower noise floor, better dynamics and channel separation, better sound stage and greater vocal clarity. In short the substitution of the Anthem and the Velodyne suddenly gave me the what I had been missing from all the other upgrades notwithstanding the improvements they had already delivered.
I am not entirely clear why but assume the faulty sub was the culprit because the Anthem is switched off when not in use for AV amplification. If that is the case then it demonstrates how careful and thorough you need to be when considering upgrades to your system. Happily I have no reason to complain about the efficacy of the earlier upgrades but had I appreciated earlier the deleterious effects of the sub, and possibly the Denon AV amp, I would have made that last change so much earlier and have secured greater benefits from the other upgrades.
Does my experience match your own and if so is it not a valuable lesson for us all?
With thanks for your time.
Barry

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Hi Barry,

I am the wrong person to ask about this. I barely have time to develop Daniel Hertz products, and have no familiarity with the kind of system development that you are doing. Wish I could advise you, but I am not qualified.
Mark

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

I am the wrong person to ask about this. I barely have time to develop Daniel Hertz products, and have no familiarity with the kind of system development that you are doing. Wish I could advise you, but I am not qualified.
Mark

No problem.
Hopefully other members with the necessary knowledge and experience will be able to.
Good luck with the development of the Daniel Hertz products.
Barry

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks, Barry. Just to add that the traditional approach is to mix and match equipment to get the most satisfying results. My work is to design complete systems that achieve specific goals. In my experience, the complete system approach is able to achieve much more than the mix and match approach, as perfection is achieved by engineering, not by accident. But the cost of complete systems is out of bounds for many people, and the magazines and stores are not set up to support this approach. The high end audio assumption is that "if I only had the right preamp, power amp, speaker, etc, etc, I would be in audio nirvana." As people know, this generally does not happen, and it assumes recordings are perfect which they are not, but it keeps people buying new products every time they are not happy with what they hear, which is good for the audio establishment. Daniel Hertz is focused on systems that people buy once and enjoy for decades of good service, like Cello systems I produced many years ago. Some people are using them over 25 years later and have no interest to sell them. But if they do, some of the products sell for more than they originally paid for them. That is truly economical in the bigger sense.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Mark,

Welcome aboard. You did me a great service by introducing me to Super Audio back in the Red Rose days. I look forward to your comments here.

Lee

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Hi Barry,
I was rushing to reply to you, and on reflection, what I said wasn't really relevant to your question. I was preoccupied with a project and crossed wires, so to speak, so please excuse my post. It looks like you have good instincts about developing your system, and make good choices. Overall, you enjoy what you buy, and have a good time. That is really what it is all about - having pleasure. Many people spend fortunes on audio equipment and never have as much satisfaction as you have. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is good, and just because it is affordable does not mean it is mediocre. I am sorry not to be more knowledgeable about the products you are using, I am sure some other members are familiar with them and can advise you, and your comments will be helpful to others. If there is an area where I can possibly be of assistance to you in the future, please feel free to write again.

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks, Lee. I appreciate your remembering the RRM involvement in advancing SACD as a format. It was very interesting to be involved at the time.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,
I was rushing to reply to you, and on reflection, what I said wasn't really relevant to your question. I was preoccupied with a project and crossed wires, so to speak, so please excuse my post. It looks like you have good instincts about developing your system, and make good choices. Overall, you enjoy what you buy, and have a good time. That is really what it is all about - having pleasure. Many people spend fortunes on audio equipment and never have as much satisfaction as you have. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is good, and just because it is affordable does not mean it is mediocre. I am sorry not to be more knowledgeable about the products you are using, I am sure some other members are familiar with them and can advise you, and your comments will be helpful to others. If there is an area where I can possibly be of assistance to you in the future, please feel free to write again.
Thanks Mark.
I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to return to my query.
It is encouraging also to hear from a person with your knowledge and experience that I am on the right track.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing