Best Tequila for Margarita Cocktail?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Okay, so I read a bunch of reviews, sifted through my ideas about oak aging and then went out and bought a bottle of Casa Noble Reposado. On Tequila sites, yes there are tequila sites, this Reposado is highly rated by both critics and drinkers. I chose Casa Noble Reposado because they do a curious thing; they age their Reposado for 364 days. One more day and it would be considered an Anejo. But, their Anejo, along with all of the other highly rated Anejos are aged in wood for two or more years. I figured this would put me in the oak aging sweet spot.

Reading around, the advice is that if you are using your tequila to make margaritas, unless you use high quality ingredients, you will not get the benefit.

But, if you do use high quality ingredients, they say you will get the benefit.

So, I used the Casa Noble Reposado to make margaritas. Or, technically, a margarita cocktail.

My ingredients were, Casa Noble Reposado, Grand Marnier, Agave Nectar, and fresh squeezed lime juice.

Oh my lord, this made the best tasting margarita cocktail I've ever had! My wife and our guests were also bowled over.

It was delicious, but I've had a lot of good tasting Margaritas. What made this superior, IMO, is that it was also more sophisticated, complex & interesting than any margarita I've ever had before.

So, this is not scientific. I did not buy a bunch of tequilas, sip each one in a taste off and rate them. I relied on a couple of tequila sites to do the ground work for me.

But, in a margarita with high quality ingredients, it tasted better than anything I've tasted before.

Of course, this may also be due to the fresh squeezed lime and agave' nectar. Most recipes suggest using a sweetener made of sugar melted in water called "simple syrup."

I used agave nectar because Tequila is also made from agave and I figured the flavors would intensify and compliment each other and that this would be better than a simple sugar sweetener. Agave nectar is interesting. On one hand, it is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less of it to get similar results and it also has a lower glycemic index, so it may be a healthier choice. Personally, I like the flavor and I use it instead of sugar or honey, which I find too sickly sweet. IMO, agave nectar mellower and rounder.

So, I don't know if Casa Noble Reposado is the best tequila, but I do know that I have found one killer margarita recipe and it includes Casa Noble Reposado.

So, I will be buying more Casa Noble.

And more Agave Nectar.

Highly recommended.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Rob, a few questions. How many oz. of each ingredient did you use? Which Agave Nectar did you use? Blended or straight?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Okay, so I read a bunch of reviews, sifted through my ideas about oak aging and then went out and bought a bottle of Casa Noble Reposado. On Tequila sites, yes there are tequila sites, this Reposado is highly rated by both critics and drinkers. I chose Casa Noble Reposado because they do a curious thing; they age their Reposado for 364 days. One more day and it would be considered an Anejo. But, their Anejo, along with all of the other highly rated Anejos are aged in wood for two or more years. I figured this would put me in the oak aging sweet spot.

Reading around, the advice is that if you are using your tequila to make margaritas, unless you use high quality ingredients, you will not get the benefit.

But, if you do use high quality ingredients, they say you will get the benefit.

So, I used the Casa Noble Reposado to make margaritas. Or, technically, a margarita cocktail.

My ingredients were, Casa Noble Reposado, Grand Marnier, Agave Nectar, and fresh squeezed lime juice.

Oh my lord, this made the best tasting margarita cocktail I've ever had! My wife and our guests were also bowled over.

It was delicious, but I've had a lot of good tasting Margaritas. What made this superior, IMO, is that it was also more sophisticated, complex & interesting than any margarita I've ever had before.

So, this is not scientific. I did not buy a bunch of tequilas, sip each one in a taste off and rate them. I relied on a couple of tequila sites to do the ground work for me.

But, in a margarita with high quality ingredients, it tasted better than anything I've tasted before.

Of course, this may also be due to the fresh squeezed lime and agave' nectar. Most recipes suggest using a sweetener made of sugar melted in water called "simple syrup."

I used agave nectar because Tequila is also made from agave and I figured the flavors would intensify and compliment each other and that this would be better than a simple sugar sweetener. Agave nectar is interesting. On one hand, it is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less of it to get similar results and it also has a lower glycemic index, so it may be a healthier choice. Personally, I like the flavor and I use it instead of sugar or honey, which I find too sickly sweet. IMO, agave nectar mellower and rounder.

So, I don't know if Casa Noble Reposado is the best tequila, but I do know that I have found one killer margarita recipe and it includes Casa Noble Reposado.

So, I will be buying more Casa Noble.

And more Agave Nectar.

Highly recommended.

I've been making margaritas like this for years, and most think them to be far and away the best they've ever had. A few things:

- I think you can sub other good 100% agave tequilas for Casa Noble. My 'go to' for larger quantities is Sauza Hornitos. Not as good as CN, but works perfectly well.
- Try Patron Citronage instead of Grand Marnier -- it's a cleaner tasting orange hit
- I like agave syrup, maple syrup is also worth a try for something different. Kinda mellower.
- some fruit extracts can add variety -- guava is particularly good

Here's what I do -- don't really measure after years of bartending in NYC:

In a 28oz shaker, squeeze 6 - 7 limes. Add 6 - 7 ice cubes. Pour tequila slowly over exposed ice until shaker is about 1/2 - 2/3 full. Add maybe an inch of orange liquor (this is less than usually called for, but that's my taste), add sweetener to taste. (Pouring simple/agave/maple syrup in for about 1 - 1.5 secs is a place to start). Shake and pour over ice. If not pouring over ice, add some add'l ice to shaker, then pour.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the tips!

Being a Margarita Making Newbie, I started by measuring everything. This is where I ended up:

I poured

8 oz. of Casa Noble Tequila

4 oz. of Grand Marnier

2 oz of Agave Nectar.

And Squeezed

4 full limes (16 halves)

Into a shaker with a scoop of ice along with the squeezed limes. Mash it a little to get some bitter from the peels.

Shake.

Placed a squeezed out half lime at the bottom of four 10 oz freezer chilled rocks glasses filled with ice.

Fill each glass with Margarita.

Experts, including rblnr above, seem to agree that although they do not prefer Patron Tequila, they do say Patron makes a good Citronage. Rblnr's recommendation is the tipping point for me, so I am going to definitely give that a try.

I purchased the agave nectar from Costco. They have the best price and excellent tasting nectar.

It's Organic Blue Agave 100% agave nectar made by Wholesome Sweeteners Sugar Land, TX.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I will definitely repeat this recipe next time, although at some point I will tinker by substituting Patron Citronage for the Grand Marnier. Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to make it without a measuring device.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Used this recipe again today for a party, still using liquid measuring cup. Tinkered around with some of the ingredients, starting with less Grand Marnier and Agave, but when tasting, I ended up adding more and it seems to come out best with the same proportions I used last time. Lots of compliments on the margaritas!

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I tried a modified version of the recipe Saturday evening. I sort of combined Rob's and rblnr's recipes, then somewhat halved everything.

9 oz. of 4 Copas Reposado.
4 oz. of Patron Citronage.
3 oz. of Agave Nectar.
2 limes, squeezed.

Poured everything into a pitcher with ice, swirled and swirled, then poured into glasses with fresh ice and lime wedges. Delicious. Potent. Wonderful. Highly recommended. Thanks for the recipes, guys.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I tried a modified version of the recipe Saturday evening. I sort of combined Rob's and rblnr's recipes, then somewhat halved everything.

9 oz. of 4 Copas Reposado.
4 oz. of Patron Citronage.
3 oz. of Agave Nectar.
2 limes, squeezed.

Poured everything into a pitcher with ice, swirled and swirled, then poured into glasses with fresh ice and lime wedges. Delicious. Potent. Wonderful. Highly recommended. Thanks for the recipes, guys.

At last quantities I can sample without ending up knee-walking drunk!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Chuck, bear in mind that even my recipe produced enough for about 5 glasses of margaritas. Also bear in mind that Patron Citronage, while it is an orange liqueur, is 80 proof. Do the math, and each glass has almost 3 oz. of alcohol. Have 2 glasses and, well ... let's just say that at about 11:30 that evening my wife went upstairs to go to bed while my friend and I were turning up the volume on some fine progressive rock.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, I really didn't know what I was doing the first time. Except for a brief period in my teens, I've never really been a hard alcohol drinker, so it was new to me and I only made four drinks from that recipe. I think everyone saw the big glass and assumed it was okay to start guzzling and in short order, we had all lost touch with our nerve endings.

Now, if I were making drinks for four, I would halve that recipe.

I don't mind helping guests loosen up a little, but I would prefer not to get them rip roaring drunk.

One problem is that these are so tasty and refreshing and if it is a hot day and you're thirsty, it's tough to remember to take your time and nurse them along.

On the other hand, it gets your guests in the party mood very quickly.

The nice thing is that by using quality ingredients, you don't feel too beat up the next morning.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
One problem is that these are so tasty and refreshing and if it is a hot day and you're thirsty, it's tough to remember to take your time and nurse them along.

On the other hand, it gets your guests in the party mood very quickly.

The nice thing is that by using quality ingredients, you don't feel too beat up the next morning.

All so very true. I gotta say based on my first tasting these drinks are quite difficult to sip instead of guzzle, and it's not because they are sweet (which is the usual reason) but instead because they are so tasty.

I think I'm going to try the same recipe again but, this time, it's all going into the blender instead of on the rocks.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Well, next time I come over it would be my pleasure to serve as bartender. Wayne & I had a lot of fun mixing to taste, adding a dash of this, 2 dashes of that, to come up with just the right (kick ass) flavor. And my blueberry margaritas are to die for.

Where's Machado in all this discussion, anyways?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
All this recepies sound good, some Bars down here use Lemoncelo as well to add some distinctive flavour, while some others pour some Contreau. This drink is served as you know with salt around the cup rim on top, the better the Tequila one pours is a plus...

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
My new go to tequila for a margarita is Epsolon -- the blanco and reposado are excellent for $20 or so a bottle. Margarita flavors of choice (outside of straight up) this summer have been guava, watermelon and prickly pear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing