Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Radical redesign, kinda sexy looking.

image.jpg

image.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the son has been talking to his father.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Brett's gone Rocket Man on us!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Myles
Thanks for posting. The new look is a big step forward in industrial design.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Looks like it's trying too hard to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the top one looks like a space age toaster.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I rather a manufacturer save money on the bling and put all the expense in the parts/sound.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I rather a manufacturer save money on the bling and put all the expense in the parts/sound.

Save in this day and age, you need both. Black boxes just don't cut it in the market any more. Besides nowadays, how much does a little extra contribute to the cost with automation? Perhaps Bret can chime in if he's not in route.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's nice to have nice looking things. Especially if you are paying allot for them. That said, the sound is most important to me. It would be nice to have both options. One for the cost conscious and one for the bling crowd.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like it's trying too hard to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the top one looks like a space age toaster.

Same feeling here ... and you're not a jerk for speaking your mind

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

I try to design things as elegantly as I can without them being overly ostentatious. I'm really put off by gold plated audio equipment, for example. I admit that there are products that I find so ugly that I won't even bother giving them a chance, even some that are famous and popular.

I hate bling, if bling means the same as pimptagous, which is my understanding of the word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pimptagous

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I try to design things as elegantly as I can without them being overly ostentatious. I'm really put off by gold plated audio equipment, for example. I admit that there are products that I find so ugly that I won't even bother giving them a chance, even some that are famous and popular.

I hate bling, if bling means the same as pimptagous, which is my understanding of the word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pimptagous

I have to say, I really like the way your TT sounds and looks. Tastefully done.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have never understood that thought process by those of us in this hobby. We don't accept it in watches, automobiles, or even in the homes we live in. Why should we have to look at poor industrial design while we enjoy music?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have never understood that thought process by those of us in this hobby. We don't accept it in watches, automobiles, or even in the homes we live in. Why should we have to look at poor industrial design while we enjoy music?

Exactly.

Related: A lot of guys can't understand why their wives hate audio, but they never seem to consider the looks of the equipment they buy. With the market the way it is, manufacturers should really concentrate on WAF. At least, that's my opinion.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I'll bet that the combo of Brett's new preamp/stereo amp will cost less than a Saskia Turntable.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I'll bet that the combo of Brett's new preamp/stereo amp will cost less than a Saskia Turntable.

Maybe, but I wasn't directing my comments at his products, although it does look that way in hindsight. In fact, that amp looks a lot better than a lot of them you see out there these days.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Kondo asthetic is the exact opposite to this , square drab boxes for the most part . Which one would you covet more ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Kondo asthetic is the exact opposite to this , square drab boxes for the most part . Which one would you covet more ?

Look at FM Acoustics....not too impressive chassis-wise.

Printed words cannot do justice to these products, as they cannot transmit the exhilarating experience of recreating musical events with an FM ACOUSTICS.
The information on these pages, therefore, is of general nature to allow some insight in the philosophy, the technology, applications and results. But only when actually hearing an FM ACOUSTICS will you capture the full meaning of all these words.

Specifications are often misused, misunderstood, or utilized only to sell a product instead of indicating its actual performance capabilities. "Typical" specifications will not tell you much about the true value of a certain component. Only guaranteed minimum data as specified for all FM ACOUSTICS products - together with carefully controlled listening tests - will provide useful information.
Please observe these distinctions if you make comparisons with other product's data sheet.
http://www.fmacoustics.com/set_products.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing