Preferred aes/ebu 110 ohm digital cable you have tried

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'll throw my hat in with Bruce and Andre and recommend both the Mogami and the DH Labs, and add one more - the Apogee Wide Eye. The Mogami Gold is the most neutral, the DH Labs a bit warmer (which is a paradox since the Mogami is copper and the DH Labs silver), but overall I usually gravitate towards the Apogee.

I have no financial affiliation with either Apogee, DHLabs or Mogami. I paid full retail for all these cables plus shipping.

I also have a few audiophile brands I will not name that do not sound as good as the three above and are very much more expensive, but I didn't pay for those.

These impressions were formed when the source was primarily red-book though. I haven't had to use these cables since USB DACs became the norm in my listening.

Gary, I have been trying the Apogee Wide Eye. I'm not impressed to be honest about it.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I've had many...almost an embarrassing amount. I did this mainly because my server is my primary source and after hearing how significant the impact was/is of digital cables I wanted to find the best fit possible for my system goals. Short list of cables I have owned... Nordost Valhalla, Kubla Sosna Emotion, Stealth Vardig Sextet, Straightwire (forget the name, around $120 msrp), Stereovox, Transparent Premium and Reference, MIT Proline Digital Ref and Oracle MA-X and finally Acoustic Revive DISX. I'm sure there are several more I did not include. What's in my system now? The Acoustic Revive. I still have the MIT MA-X and go back and forth on which I prefer. I will say that two cables stand pretty far above all the others I have tried. I'll also say that each of those cables sounds very different so personal taste/system goals will play a very big part in what works best for you or anyone else for that matter. Either way, I applaud you for making the effort to get into it. It can be a serious pain in the ass but for me was worth it. I feel like I have that part pretty well resolved for a while.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I've had many...almost an embarrassing amount....I applaud you for making the effort to get into it. It can be a serious pain in the ass
Cable hunting can have a consuming effect

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Jfrech , yes under my radar. Was offered Tara labs Zero digital at a reasonable price . Anybody tried this cable ?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
The Mogami 110-ohm AES/EBU cable that was recommended to me has part no. 3173.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I have had Tara Labs zero digital cables for quite a while. The top of the line cable would be very tough to beat. I find all of the top level tara has a similar, yet rare, quality. Cables that provide more detail but are more natural at the same time. They would be a great match for most systems. They won't warm over a bright system, however. I chose them after an extended shoot out with Transparent's previous reference. I currently have a mix of Tara and MIT oracles on the Vivaldi stack. Both are extremely good. Just added a full complement of Transparent Reference XL cables as the clock cables. I'm still working my way toward what will remain.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Looking forward to your finding . Interested to know the difference between Tara labs zero & Transparent Reference XL

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have had Tara Labs zero digital cables for quite a while. The top of the line cable would be very tough to beat. I find all of the top level tara has a similar, yet rare, quality. Cables that provide more detail but are more natural at the same time. They would be a great match for most systems. They won't warm over a bright system, however. I chose them after an extended shoot out with Transparent's previous reference. I currently have a mix of Tara and MIT oracles on the Vivaldi stack. Both are extremely good. Just added a full complement of Transparent Reference XL cables as the clock cables. I'm still working my way toward what will remain.

Are you adding Transparent Reference XL MM2 cables to all the modules of the stack or just to the DAC connection? BTW, have you listened to Transparent power cables? I look forward to have your opinion.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Are you adding Transparent Reference XL MM2 cables to all the modules of the stack or just to the DAC connection? BTW, have you listened to Transparent power cables? I look forward to have your opinion.

I went ahead and ordered 2 Transparent ref xl 75 ohm bnc to bnc clock cables yesterday...and 2 AES/EBU Trans Ref XL to replace my Audioquest diamond firewire (this requires a software upgrade on my Scarlatti stack)...will let you know...apparently this takes about 200 hours to break in...and cycles between good and horrible during the process...should be here in a few days...will let you know what I think...

The clock cables will replace 2 Purist Proteus Provectus Praesto...which have been excellent...so we'll see. I do tend to love the Transparent signal cables...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I went ahead and ordered 2 Transparent ref xl 75 ohm bnc to bnc clock cables yesterday...and 2 AES/EBU Trans Ref XL to replace my Audioquest diamond firewire (this requires a software upgrade on my Scarlatti stack)...will let you know...apparently this takes about 200 hours to break in...and cycles between good and horrible during the process...should be here in a few days...will let you know what I think...

The clock cables will replace 2 Purist Proteus Provectus Praesto...which have been excellent...so we'll see. I do tend to love the Transparent signal cables...

Nice to know. Since you have the Scarlatti I am going to ask a question - is there any improvement when you use the DCS upsampler with the DCS transport?

I also like the Transparent cables - just upgrading my speaker Reference MM2 to Opus MM2.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
I have always gotten along just fine with my Kimber Orchid AES/EBU. I went back to it after trying the Acoustic Revive digital, which I bought after using and loving their USB cable.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Nice to know. Since you have the Scarlatti I am going to ask a question - is there any improvement when you use the DCS upsampler with the DCS transport?

I also like the Transparent cables - just upgrading my speaker Reference MM2 to Opus MM2.

I don't have the upsampler...just the clock, trans and dac. I mostly listen to SACD. however...my dealer in austin has the upsampler...and for anything other than sacd...it does help...I've heard it...

Congrats on the Opus speaker ! I just went from Ref xl mm2 to Opus MM2 interconnect off my phono stage to pre...it was CLEARLY better. Was like a new phono stage...was not subtle

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi
So how are the Ref xl performing
Can you please describe them?
Thanks
David

The Transparent Ref XL digital cables have about 240 hours on them now...they should be through the breakin process.

I can enthusiastically say this is a major upgrade going dual aes vs firewire. Much better resolution, much better demensionality, lower noise (it's so quiet now-which is weird to say on digital since it's already quiet...but it's true)...which allows the dynamics and textures to really jump and/or bloom. It's the little things to...the inflections on note...the decays...how it places and moves in the soundstage/sound field.

The clock cables alone were a improvement.

I feel like I got a new digital front end.

Substantial improvements across the board...nothing went backwards. If you have a dCS stack...you owe it to yourself to try these cables...I have no desire to compare to a diff AES cable...these are great.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't have the upsampler...just the clock, trans and dac. I mostly listen to SACD. however...my dealer in austin has the upsampler...and for anything other than sacd...it does help...I've heard it...

Congrats on the Opus speaker ! I just went from Ref xl mm2 to Opus MM2 interconnect off my phono stage to pre...it was CLEARLY better. Was like a new phono stage...was not subtle

I am really confused. Doesn't the CD/SACD transport have an upsampler? Why should the upsampler be needed to listen to CDs played using the Vivaldi transport? I was thinking that the upsampler should only be used with computer files.

Nice to know about the improvements of the TA REF XL digital cables - I will have to try it with the Metronome C2A. But for now I am in Transparent Audio quarantine. ;) I have always used my XLRs OPUS from digital to preamp and preamp to power. The phono unit used a top Kimber KS1136 silver cable, and as it sounded great compared to the digital I never tried an Opus there. Recently I had the opportunity of a nice deal on an used Opus tuned for my equipment and could not resist. As you also refer the improvement was very large, now I have to improve my digital to narrow the gap again ...

drdavid

Feb 13, 2014
Hi
Thanks for the information and quick reply. I have heard wonderful things about the new XL digital cable. I was told not only is there a very substantial increase in overall across the board sonic improvement but also a very notable increase in the bass performance. Have you noticed this as well?
Thanks
David

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing