Preferred aes/ebu 110 ohm digital cable you have tried

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Currently using Transparent Reference digital cable between my Aurender S10 and MSB diamond IV plus with Diamond Power supply . Looking for option to upgrade my digital cable . I know the best is subjective . Hence my thread titled : Preferred digital cable ......... Heard good things about Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital cable raved by Jacob Heilbrunn . Any feedback is much appreciated

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Currently using Transparent Reference digital cable between my Aurender S10 and MSB diamond IV plus with Diamond Power supply . Looking for option to upgrade my digital cable . I know the best is subjective . Hence my thread titled : Preferred digital cable ......... Heard good things about Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital cable raved by Jacob Heilbrunn . Any feedback is much appreciated

The DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU is easily the best I have tried.

Assuming you don't have low price aversion, it is a great sounding cable.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Revelation Audio Labs

I've used their AES/EBU and I2S Neutrix silver's for years. Though I haven't compared recently they were easily the best at the time.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Andre, that seems like a good option at usd99.
Bruce , 1 of my local guy reviewed it very favourable

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, that seems like a good option at usd99.
Bruce , 1 of my local guy reviewed it very favourable

Disclaimer...I have NO financial affiliation with DH Labs..!!!! (Thank god that thread evaporated!)

I have a full suite of their digital cables and I find them to be superb.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'll throw my hat in with Bruce and Andre and recommend both the Mogami and the DH Labs, and add one more - the Apogee Wide Eye. The Mogami Gold is the most neutral, the DH Labs a bit warmer (which is a paradox since the Mogami is copper and the DH Labs silver), but overall I usually gravitate towards the Apogee.

I have no financial affiliation with either Apogee, DHLabs or Mogami. I paid full retail for all these cables plus shipping.

I also have a few audiophile brands I will not name that do not sound as good as the three above and are very much more expensive, but I didn't pay for those.

These impressions were formed when the source was primarily red-book though. I haven't had to use these cables since USB DACs became the norm in my listening.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'll throw my hat in with Bruce and Andre and recommend both the Mogami and the DH Labs, and add one more - the Apogee Wide Eye. The Mogami Gold is the most neutral, the DH Labs a bit warmer (which is a paradox since the Mogami is copper and the DH Labs silver), but overall I usually gravitate towards the Apogee.

I have no financial affiliation with either Apogee, DHLabs or Mogami. I paid full retail for all these cables plus shipping.

I also have a few audiophile brands I will not name that do not sound as good as the three above and are very much more expensive, but I didn't pay for those.

These impressions were formed when the source was primarily red-book though. I haven't had to use these cables since USB DACs became the norm in my listening.

Gary, the DH Labs features microns of silver coating, however I believe the conductors are copper.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
MIT Oracle Ma-x is the best I've tried. I think there's a pad in the box that helps to eliminate reflections. Order the longest version you can, if possible. Mine are 2m.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'd add the Purist Audio Designs digital cables to your list to consider. I have not tried the AES/EBU versions but do use 2 BNC/BNC Proteus Provectus Praesto cables...I will likely try the Transparent Ref XL's next...might be a few months...

If you like your Transparent today...their upgrade program is hard to skip out on...you should get $1256 off the Ref XL...(assuming you have 1 meter)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'll throw my hat in with Bruce and Andre and recommend both the Mogami and the DH Labs, and add one more - the Apogee Wide Eye. The Mogami Gold is the most neutral, the DH Labs a bit warmer (which is a paradox since the Mogami is copper and the DH Labs silver), but overall I usually gravitate towards the Apogee. (...)

Gary,

The Mogami Gold AES/EBU is made with the W2791 cable?

IMHO, it is not possible to extrapolate the sound of cables from analog to digital. One of the warmest and full sounding AES/EBU cables I have used was the analog Kimber KS1136. I found it because I did not have a proper digital cable at that occasion ...

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It takes a lot of big expensive machines and a expert quality control department to make good modern cables. So I'll stick with major brands like Belden and Mogami.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary,

The Mogami Gold AES/EBU is made with the W2791 cable?

No. W2791 is an analog balanced cable. The AES/EBU Gold is W3080. I've also tried building my own using the various available Mogami AES/EBU formulations, and the one I most prefer is the W3228. However, as far as I can tell, they do not sell it as a made-up cable. Dallasjustice's comment should also be taken to heart. I find that all these AES/EBU cables perform best when they are longer than 2m.

IMHO, it is not possible to extrapolate the sound of cables from analog to digital. One of the warmest and full sounding AES/EBU cables I have used was the analog Kimber KS1136. I found it because I did not have a proper digital cable at that occasion ...

I found the same. Some analog cables will work as an AES/EBU cable, but they will 'tailor' the sound. My comment was just to inform readers that the DH Labs AES/EBU had a warm sound. Everytime I recommend DH Labs as an economic solution, my customers ask me "Isn't silver supposed to be bright?"

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Jfrech, yes I m using a Transparent Reference digital now

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
MIT Oracle Ma-x is the best I've tried. I think there's a pad in the box that helps to eliminate reflections. Order the longest version you can, if possible. Mine are 2m.

Got the Oracle MA-X as well. Awesome! MIT is so easy...the more you pay, the better it gets ;)

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I suppose MIT is good but don't like the inconvenience of the network . It can be a pain positioning it on the rack or left it dangling which is not a good idea. Sold my IC because of this issue. Anyway thanks

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Audioblazer,

The MIT Oracle MA-X digital has a much, much smaller and lighter network box then the Oracle interconnects and hangs just fine with no problems at all.

Scott

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm using the Transparent Reference XL and think its superb.

Are you using the AES/EBU or S/PDIF? Still with the Briscati M1?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing