Hi

my current system:

wireworld platinum usb cable
Pass labs X350.5
Pass labs Xp10 pre
Oppo BDP-105 using it as DAC
PC computer

i need XLR interconnect . speakers and AC cables
can you recommend on few models i should demo?

Thanks

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I would personally recommend nothing silver based. Stick to copper based cables with or without network boxes and I believe you would derive much pleasure. Perhaps the Reference Series from Transparent.

Tom

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I am of the opposite opinion regarding silver.

Only way to know is to audition in one's own system.

YMMV.

GG

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I agree with the general observations of silver within a particular system but we are talking the Utopia's. That combo would in my sole opinion not be a good combination at all. Way too much brightness, forwardness and what some would perceive as "detail".

Tom

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
I agree with the general observations of silver within a particular system but we are talking the Utopia's. That combo would in my sole opinion not be a good combination at all. Way too much brightness, forwardness and what some would perceive as "detail".

Tom

While agreeing there's an undeniable consensus of 'silvery' sound present in silver-based cables, I would not over-generalize them all as such.
Below is one relevant excerpt in answer/feedback article from SoundStage!Hi-Fi :

To Doug Schneider,

Are the Siltech cables with silver in the wire likely to sound bright or highlight the “S” or “Z” or “CH” sounds of the human voice? My speakers are the Harbeth Super HL5 powered by an Accuphase E560 integrated amp and fed by a CEC TL1N/DA1N transport/DAC.

Thank you in advance for your views.

Regards,
W. K. Leong

Thanks for your e-mail. There seems to be a general consensus among audiophiles that silver-based cables can sound bright. Frankly, I’m not sure that’s necessarily true -- I think it has more to do with the electronics people are using. What’s important, though, is what the Siltech Classic Anniversary cables I reviewed sounded like, at least in the context of my system. I found these to be the smoothest, most detailed, and least-fatiguing cables I’ve ever used. Extended in the highs? Yes, definitely. Bright? Not one bit. Do they highlight “S” or “Z” or “CH” sounds? From what I could hear, not at all. . . . Doug Schneider

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would personally recommend nothing silver based. Stick to copper based cables with or without network boxes and I believe you would derive much pleasure. Perhaps the Reference Series from Transparent.

Tom

Tom,

If you ever listen to Focals using Crystal Dreamline silver cables you will immediately add an exception to your rule! :) IMHO most people have poor opinion about silver cables because many of them really sound poor, independently of the metal used in them. I still own the famous swiss manufactured Mandrake silver/teflon ICs and they also do not sound bright.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
i will check JPS also
few Utopia owner recommend Nordost and Tara Labs 0.8 or the one

what Utopia model are you using?
what amp and Dac?

I had the Maestro's in here using the Pass XA-160.5 amps and Playback Designs MPS-5

Now I'm using the Twin6/Solo6/Sub6 in the surround room.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
I had the Maestro's in here using the Pass XA-160.5 amps and Playback Designs MPS-5

Now I'm using the Twin6/Solo6/Sub6 in the surround room.

i found only one Maestro owner other then you , very hard to find
can i ask why you sell them? don't like them?
you tried other Amps other then Pass?
Focal dealers told me the Maestro need very high dumping/current to drive the 2 big magnets

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
We just got our demo Maestros up and running today. Even fresh out of the crates they had a very impressive sound. Based on some observations during the first 8 hours of break in they are really something special. Coming from the Electra series I think you'll be very, very happy with them.

For reference we have them running in on a pair of VTL Siegfrieds with Transparent Opus cables.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
We just got our demo Maestros up and running today. Even fresh out of the crates they had a very impressive sound. Based on some observations during the first 8 hours of break in they are really something special. Coming from the Electra series I think you'll be very, very happy with them.

For reference we have them running in on a pair of VTL Siegfrieds with Transparent Opus cables.

VTL Siegfrieds , that's a Killer Amps !
i never tried Tube because people scaled me :D
what are the disadvantages of Tube compare to SS?
you tried Utopia models with SS or only with Tube?
what DAC are you using?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Pelo,

I think you are potentially setting yourself up to spend alot of money with unpredictable results.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Just a thought.

Remember that only you can decide what sounds best in your system.

Good luck on your journey.

GG

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am of the opposite opinion regarding silver.

Same here. It's not so much about just metallurgy as it is about metallurgy and design/geometry. In my experience anyway.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Given the inherent subjectivity of this hobby and "system synergy" issues, generalizations are typically inaccurate and IMHO, should taken with a high degree of skepticism.

GG

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Good morning, gentlemen. Generalizations are also something that is frowned upon by the forum owners, as outlined in the TOS.

Please allow me to clarify a bit. I have had many a silver based cable come through these doors. Not all of them are bright but they are all definitely "enhanced". My suggestion was based solely on my experience with silver based cables and the TNC, TNV or Beryllium tweeter offerings from Focal. All of these tweeters are extended in range, extremely detailed, unforgiving of upstream gear, highly responsive to cable upgrades and while a silver based cable can sound decent [read good] at lower listening levels, at reasonable to higher listening levels, the level of "detail" and unrealistic "sizzle" is NOT a pleasure to these ears. With this particular combination of cable type/speaker(s), silver had tended to alter the entire frequency range and not to the positive end of the spectrum. To my ears, the combination of a silver based cable and any of the tweeter offerings from Focal would be something that from experience I would recommend against. The only exception would be if the user listened mostly at lower listening levels.

While there may exist an exception or two out there [like the suggestion from microstrip with the Crystal Dreamline], I will stand by my comment based upon my own ears and direct experience with Focal speakers and silver based cables. Silver may have it's place in some applications [and I have heard great results from silver based cables in various applications], just not with Focal IMO/IME. pelo911 has been offered some great, and IMO better suited, suggestions within this thread. Suggestions I would follow well before considering a silver based cable for pairing with his Utopia's.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is true that most audiophiles usually associate silver cables with more definition and articulation, sometimes with detailed sound. Consider Kimber cables - as long as you go along their copper, copper/silver and pure silver cables, they sound less mellow and less full. Or van den Hul - their silver cables sound more detailed than the copper or carbon ones. However, good silver cables are not bright or harsh - I think people will agree that Kimber has sweet highs, and my own Mandrake cables are energetic, but not bright.

This to say that, most of the time, the decision of using a cable or not can't be taken without considering the source, amplifier, power cables and room. BTW, many manufacturers, such as Nordost or van den Hul, use silver plated copper cables, using specific technologies to coat the copper wire. Should we consider them as silver cables?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Good morning, microstrip. Perhaps that is another question for another thread [don't want to get this one off topic out of respect for the OP] but to clarify myself further, I was referring to a 100% silver based cable. Not a mix of metals within the cable itself.

Tom

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
BTW, many manufacturers, such as Nordost or van den Hul, use silver plated copper cables, using specific technologies to coat the copper wire. Should we consider them as silver cables?

Micro.. that is a very good point you make ,generally speaking the Valhalla indeed does have that tipped up silver tone , it's core conductor being copper .

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi

my current system:

wireworld platinum usb cable
Pass labs X350.5
Pass labs Xp10 pre
Oppo BDP-105 using it as DAC
PC computer

i need XLR interconnect . speakers and AC cables
can you recommend on few models i should demo?

Thanks

I've heard the Grand Utopia's extensively, via a friend, that uses Purist Audio Designs cables. This system sounds amazing...so I'd definitely add Purist to your demo list...I use some Purist and mostly Transparent Audio cables is my system...but can't really comment on how they might sound with your speakers/equipment..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing