Sublime Sound

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
In your photo you’re using a large thick block of wood in this case the type and density, shape, size of the wood matters not so much with 0.5” thick coasters.

david

Yes it is a large plinth I made up. It uses a mixture of different hardwoods.

I am not sure I understand the comment with the coasters?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, are you considering going the whole nine yards? Amps direct on floor, tt on sturdy domestic sideboard, maintaining all stock rubber footers? We would be most curious to hear about that.

Otherwise you sound like a sex addict who is promising to go monogamous, but only on weekends Lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes it is a large plinth I made up. It uses a mixture of different hardwoods.

I am not sure I understand the comment with the coasters?
It was regarding the small thin slices of wood Peter has placed under his equipment, they’re too insignificant for species to matter as long it’s dense hardwood and serve a different purpose than your thick wood base.

david

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It was regarding the small thin slices of wood Peter has placed under his equipment, they’re too insignificant for species to matter as long it’s dense hardwood and serve a different purpose than your thick wood base.

david

Okay I see

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Peter, further to confirmation I haven't understood you again, your combination of wooden blocks under gear, or steel on wood, are all tweaks. Definitely less pricey than Vibraplane or Stacore or Centre Stage, but tweaks nevertheless. Pop your Pass amps on the floor, and yr SME on the most domestically acceptable piece of furniture like an antique sideboard, and if you still feel tweaks are counterproductive, let us know. I'm afraid steel on dedicated stand is a tweak however you cut it. Amps on the floor and tt on a standard piece of domestic furniture, now we're really talking proper de-tweaking.

Amps on which kind of floor? What "standard piece of domestic furniture"? Everything is a tweak, including adjusting the toe in of speakers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, are you considering going the whole nine yards? Amps direct on floor, tt on sturdy domestic sideboard, maintaining all stock rubber footers? We would be most curious to hear about that.

Otherwise you sound like a sex addict who is promising to go monogamous, but only on weekends Lol.

No

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No re the amps on the floor? Or no on the sex addict thing? Asking for a friend Lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Amps on which kind of floor? What "standard piece of domestic furniture"? Everything is a tweak, including adjusting the toe in of speakers.
Indeed everything is a tweak, incl what you had for breakfast that day. Peter may think I'm jibbing him, but I'm truly curious as to if he is seriously getting mileage in stripping his ancilliaries back, he doesn't go further, and put the amps on the floor, the tt on a beautiful sturdy antique sideboard that would enhance his room aesthetics. In decades past, before audiophilia took off, owners of serious hifi would have done that very thing.

Why strip out Vibraplanes etc, and not consider stripping out the rack, ampstands and footers? And all other ancilliaries. Doe's Peter's curiosity not stretch to that?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, the influence of metals has been discussed since long - I immediately remember Goldmund reports that associated steel, brass and aluminum. For example, Magico are currently known for their work in this area. If you use single materials you should play with the dimensions or shapes to tune it, another approach.
None of this is new Francisco actually these concepts have been around for a long while and been proven to work over that time but somehow this basic knowledge disappeared when the high end magazines started to get traction and wanted to sound important recommending all kinds of crap. Dimensions and shape of turntable’s base have an effect but you’re not tuning either when using a single material, it’s not the case with these steel plates.

Edit- I keep repeating this but high end was already perfected by early 60’s, what came later is some incremental progress because of new materials and parts. Nothing new or innovative in the tt world since the 70’s super Reference players either.
david

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc I kindly ask you to leave the discussion and stop polluting my system thread with utter nonsense. Contact me off-line if you must
Haha, no thanks. I find yr response fascinating, but not in a good way. Happy not to pollute any further.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc I kindly ask you to leave the discussion and stop polluting my system thread with utter nonsense. Contact me off-line if you must

Peter it's a trap. Once he contacts you offline and starts chatting it is like tweaks and hotel California, you get in, you can never leave

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Dimensions and shape of turntable’s base have an effect but you’re not tuning either when using a single material, it’s not the case with these steel plates.

david

Are you saying that if you use any other metal in these slabs, such as copper or brass, will have the same effect in Peter system? Or using a multilayer metal structure, much easier to handle?

Just to be precise I am also addressing the slabs to be put under the Pass equipment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Are you saying that if you use any other metal in these slabs, such as copper or brass, will have the same effect in Peter system? Or using a multilayer metal structure, much easier to handle?

Just to be precise I am also addressing the slabs to be put under the Pass equipment.

You will get a slightly different effect with copper shelf but not much in this case and 1” copper is a lot more expensive than steel. The main purpose of steel is mass loading in this application, you don’t need to complicate matters. This process is to get Peter to a place where he has a proper baseline with a natural sounding system. From here he can make educated decisions if he feels the need to go further. The clutter and snake oil is what kills any system, at this point he can figure out what this junk does going forward. Also try his speakers without any toe in next.

david

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

david

I try black walnut under my preamp. It is definitely worse than verawood. Although black walnut is hardwoood, specify gravity is only around 0.6. Dense hardwood specific gravity should be close to or greater than 1. Oak’s specific gravity is also only 0.6. I try rosewood under my preamp. The sound is similar to vera wood. Rosewood specify gravity is around 0.9.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
None of this is new Francisco actually these concepts have been around for a long while and been proven to work over that time but somehow this basic knowledge disappeared when the high end magazines started to get traction and wanted to sound important recommending all kinds of crap. Dimensions and shape of turntable’s base have an effect but you’re not tuning either when using a single material, it’s not the case with these steel plates.

Edit- I keep repeating this but high end was already perfected by early 60’s, what came later is some incremental progress because of new materials and parts. Nothing new or innovative in the tt world since the 70’s super Reference players either.
david
Now you are selling yourself short;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Peter it's a trap. Once he contacts you offline and starts chatting it is like tweaks and hotel California, you get in, you can never leave
“Lines on the mirrors, lines on the walls”o_O

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You will get a slightly different effect with copper shelf but not much in this case and 1” copper is a lot more expensive than steel. The main purpose of steel is mass loading in this application, you don’t need to complicate matters. This process is to get Peter to a place where he has a proper baseline with a natural sounding system. From here he can make educated decisions if he feels the need to go further. The clutter and snake oil is what kills any system, at this point he can figure out what this junk does going forward. Also try his speakers without any toe in next.

david

Although the main purpose of the steel slab is mass loading, it surely has some secondary effects - I am sure that if I replace the SRAs under the Lamm's by steel slabs it will affect significantly sound quality, even in my very solid floor - wood over cement with several layers on sand. It seems to me that using steel a lot of energy will be reflected back to the equipment and not drained to ground. Wether this is natural sound is open to debate - it is surely a different sound that some people may prefer.

Although simplification is real temptation is audio matters, IMHO most of the time it leads to false conclusions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing