Sublime Sound

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Peter, you have a very elegant and wonderful arrangement of equipment and room. Thanks for sharing!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
<Withdrawing my comments, because they were subsequently used incorrectly, out of context, and in an inappropriate away>

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think one of the special attributes of Peter's system is that while it excels at accuracy & resolution and is very engaging because of it, it remains extremely relaxing at the same time. I could camp out on his couch listening for days without fatigue (as long as it wasn't in summer - the heat of those XA160.5's would get me!).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, i watched it...seems VERY exact..right on the right edge of that lp....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Along with the switch in phono amps, I have just decided to trade in my single-ended Transparent REF XL from phono to pre for the balanced version. The XOno sounded best with a single-ended output cable while the XP-25 sounds better with a balanced output cable to the XP-20. Unfortunately, the upgrade costs about the same as the different phono amps. I guess what they say about cables being like another component is true in that sense.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Along with the switch in phono amps, I have just decided to trade in my single-ended Transparent REF XL from phono to pre for the balanced version. The XOno sounded best with a single-ended output cable while the XP-25 sounds better with a balanced output cable to the XP-20. Unfortunately, the upgrade costs about the same as the different phono amps. I guess what they same about cables being like another component is true in that sense.

As a fellow Transparent owner, I hear what you're saying here. I do think it was the right choice...I'd love to get to hear your system again soon !

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Peter,

I've already expressed my admiration of your entire set-up in your vibraplane thread but I just can't help doing it again here. It looks very well thought out and I'm sure you are reaping the rewards for all that hard work and attention to detail. Good Job!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

I've already expressed my admiration of your entire set-up in your vibraplane thread but I just can't help doing it again here. It looks very well thought out and I'm sure you are reaping the rewards for all that hard work and attention to detail. Good Job!

Thank you for the kind words Jack, George, Ack, Floyd and the others. The system certainly brings me much joy.

John, you are very welcome to hear the system again. Since you were last here, fine adjustment of VTA, the XP-25 and the balanced cable have definitely improved the sound. I try to make slow and deliberate changes when they contribute to greater musical enjoyment. I'd love to share some listening time with anyone who finds himself in the Boston area.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would never sell those Minis on looks alone compared to the Qs, Peter- just gorgeous.

Keith, I fully agree, especially when compared to the Q1. I do think the Q3 as a floor stander is better. Now that Magico has the in-house capabilities of curved cabinets and baffles, they could attempt to replicate the curves of the Mini in an all aluminum enclosure, including the base. That would be interesting. But they are moving away from the one-off designs, except for the Ulitmate.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Keith, I fully agree, especially when compared to the Q1. I do think the Q3 as a floor stander is better. Now that Magico has the in-house capabilities of curved cabinets and baffles, they could attempt to replicate the curves of the Mini in an all aluminum enclosure, including the base. That would be interesting. But they are moving away from the one-off designs, except for the Ulitmate.

I do not think the Q-series lack of curves, or rather, the "boxy look", has anything to do with capability... The Q3 does have curves on the front baffle. Seems to me more like a design decision instead...

alexandre

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Along with the switch in phono amps, I have just decided to trade in my single-ended Transparent REF XL from phono to pre for the balanced version. The XOno sounded best with a single-ended output cable while the XP-25 sounds better with a balanced output cable to the XP-20. Unfortunately, the upgrade costs about the same as the different phono amps. I guess what they say about cables being like another component is true in that sense.

I switched to balanced from XP25 to preamp recently too, I think it sounds best that way.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Since you were last here, fine adjustment of VTA, the XP-25 and the balanced cable have definitely improved the sound. I try to make slow and deliberate changes when they contribute to greater musical enjoyment. I'd love to share some listening time with anyone who finds himself in the Boston area.

Peter, I'm curious, what kind of fine adjustments to VTA are you talking about regarding the SME V-12?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would never sell those Minis on looks alone compared to the Qs, Peter- just gorgeous.

I fully agree. Although I usually feel and say that looks are secondary in audio equipment, I can not feel the same about speakers (every rule must have an exception).

The Mini's with their stands are really artistic - on par with same Sonus Faber's and the KTEMA. Although I like the Alexia's very much, I can not consider them artistic speakers - they are too big and massive.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I do not think the Q-series lack of curves, or rather, the "boxy look", has anything to do with capability... The Q3 does have curves on the front baffle. Seems to me more like a design decision instead...

alexandre

I thought I had read somewhere that Magico could not build curved cabinet walls when the Q5 first came out. They could mill a think baffle into a curved surface though. The curved sidewalls was described as a new capability with the introduction of the S5.

How about a curved baffle of the Q AND a curved sidewall of the S? We shall see what the future brings.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, I'm curious, what kind of fine adjustments to VTA are you talking about regarding the SME V-12?

Hello Frank, I spent a month experimenting with VTA settings and found that proper SRA is essential to getting the most enjoyment out of vinyl. To my surprise, it has little to do with LP thickness. I did these experiments while I was also experimenting with loading and gain options on my old Pass XOno. I had thought loading and VTA would effect the sound in similar ways, namely tonal balance. I was very wrong.

SRA has everything to do with the timing of a note. If the VTA is too low, the fundamental and the harmonics are slightly separated in time. The note is stretched and sounds unnatural. If the VTA is too high, the harmonics overlap and obscure the fundamental of a note, softening transients and hiding details. When the SRA matches the original cutting angle of the LP groove, the notes sound more natural and the timing relationship between the fundamental and the harmonics is correct. Transient, sustain, decay.

To this end, I now adjust the VTA of my V-12 arm within a 4mm range. I use the SME supplied paper protractor which has a mm scale on the end. I measure from the top of the armboard to the bottom of the arm rest support, both of which are flat. The average measurement is 17mm. Some records are as high as 19 and some as low as 15, but the majority are between 16 and 18. I find the correct setting for each LP when I play it and then write it down on a sticky note which I keep between the cover and the outer sleeve for easy reference for the next time I play it.

I did this demo on a fellow member's system with two of my LPs. He was really surprised at how much the sound changed and how much more natural the music sounded. In another experiment, this gentleman asked me to shut my eyes and tell him when the VTA sounded best as he adjusted it up and down on his VPI table/arm. When I said stop, he measured and told me that the setting was extremely close to the theoretical 92 degrees that he had previously calculated. I think that was a coincidence for that particular LP because I have found that the same thickness records have different ideal SRAs. 92 is just a close compromise and if you don't have a way to do the math or capability to see the stylus, how do you know what the angle is? It is much more accurate to set it by ear. You just have to train yourself to know what to listen for.

It has taken some practice, but it now only takes me about 15-20 seconds to adjust the VTA before I play the LP. Sometimes I will play a few Philips LPs in the evening for example which have the same setting, so I don't need to adjust anything for that session, but usually, I make 2-4 changes an evening. It is well worth it, IMO.

LPs that used to sound a bit flat or lacked detail and natural tone now sound much better. Dynamics improved also, but mostly, it is the quality of the notes which sound much more natural when the SRA is correct. Incidentally, a 1 mm VTA height change on a 12" arm is less than 1/4 degree of SRA change. This is audible on my system and has contributed greatly to my listening enjoyment. I dare say it is about as significant an improvement as going from the XOno to the XP-25. And some of the sonic improvements are similar, ie better spacial layering, more tonal density, and more accurate timbre.

And the best part is that this improvement in sonics was free for a change.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I suspect the curved walls of the S 5 are extruded aluminium not milled
I thought I had read somewhere that Magico could not build curved cabinet walls when the Q5 first came out. They could mill a think baffle into a curved surface though. The curved sidewalls was described as a new capability with the introduction of the S5.

How about a curved baffle of the Q AND a curved sidewall of the S? We shall see what the future brings.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I did this demo on a fellow member's system with two of my LPs. He was really surprised at how much the sound changed and how much more natural the music sounded. In another experiment, this gentleman asked me to shut my eyes and tell him when the VTA sounded best as he adjusted it up and down on his VPI table/arm. When I said stop, he measured and told me that the setting was extremely close to the theoretical 92 degrees that he had previously calculated. I think that was a coincidence for that particular LP because I have found that the same thickness records have different ideal SRAs. 92 is just a close compromise and if you don't have a way to do the math or capability to see the stylus, how do you know what the angle is? It is much more accurate to set it by ear. You just have to train yourself to know what to listen for.

I have to meet that mathematical genius :D and yes, as I have said before, LP thickness makes no difference because, if you do the math, the difference in thickness is just tiny factions of a mm between, say, 180 and 200g. What's even worse with "thicker" pressings and the assumptin that SRA is different, is that the master isn't necessarily cut with that thicker a lacquer - it's the actual *pressing* that's thicker: same master -> different pressing thicknesses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing