Schroder lT installed, pics a few comments...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Attachments

• DSC_2020.jpg
    DSC_2020.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 2,316

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
DSC_2021.jpg
DSC_2022.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
DSC_2023.jpg
DSC_2029.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
DSC_2024.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, do you have any idea as to the weight of your arm? I ask, as I would love to try one on my Linn...which I am now in the process of bringing up to SE spec. The Linn arms do nothing for me, my WTA beats the pants off the Ekos and it's still not in Schroder territory.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just some observations from the pictures:

1. The cueing lift looks like it is actually touching the arm when the record is playing. If not, it's oh so close.
2. What is the white mung around the bottom of the armboard that is visible in the picture?
3. I assume that in order to set up the arm correctly, the arm had to be mounted to the armboard in such a way that the arm actually looks like it is making contact with the back of the hole in the armboard instead of being centered in the hole.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just some observations from the pictures:

1. The cueing lift looks like it is actually touching the arm when the record is playing. If not, it's oh so close.
2. What is the white mung around the bottom of the armboard that is visible in the picture?
3. I assume that in order to set up the arm correctly, the arm had to be mounted to the armboard in such a way that the arm actually looks like it is making contact with the back of the hole in the armboard instead of being centered in the hole.

Hi

#1, it's not...about 1/4 inch clearance...must be the angle and the lighting...
#2 just the machining marks and not a good touch up paint job...can't see it unless you're on your knee's looking up :)
#3 the hole is just a hole...needed to make it bigger to get the alignment right....the part that grabs the arm spindle/bearing tower is a triangular bracket that is secured from the top of the board...you can't see the hole from normal viewing positions...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John, do you hav any idea as to the weight of your arm? I ask, as I would love to try one on my Linn...which I am now in the process of bringing up to SE spec. The Linn arms do nothing for me, my WTA beats the pants off the Ekos and it's still not in Schroder territory.

No I can go ask. It's a little heavier than my Triplanar but not as heavy as a SME IV.Vi...I used to have a Linn LP12 and a Ekos...I think the weight is ok...but the arm is kinda long...I wonder if the arm board arrangement on the linn will allow enough room...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
John, does it look like there would be one null point? Can you post a picture from above with the cartridge about midway into the record? Also, I assume the cartridge is underhung? If so, by how much?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John, does it look like there would be one null point? Can you post a picture from above with the cartridge about midway into the record? Also, I assume the cartridge is underhung? If so, by how much?

how's this pic? And on null points...I guess you could say only one or at all points on the record the null point measures out the same...as far as underhung...does the first pic on on top of this thread help at all? The flash created the linear line...that wasn't planned...but is fitting :)

DSC_2043.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great photos...I am not a vinyl guy at all...but still always fun to read about SOTA pieces that take even a seasoned audiophile by surprise...seems like quite a leap in performance. Congrats.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was hoping for a picture that includes the pivot point as well. Schroeder claims zero overhang, though for minimum distortion the cartridge should be underhung with a straight arm like this.

It feels like your pivot point is not set up the same way as in the picture.

Also not sure what you mean by "you could say only one or at all points on the record the null point measures out the same" - this is still a pivoted design (right?), not a true linear tracker, therefore there would be at most two null points.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It has two pivot points not one. A picture will not help much. A video however would help you understand how it moves. It moves in a straight line across the record because the arm articulates at two points at the base. I have not seen the inner mechanism so I do not know exactly how it works.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It has two pivot points not one. A picture will not help much. A video however would help you understand how it moves. It moves in a straight line across the record because the arm articulates at two points at the base. I have not seen the inner mechanism so I do not know exactly how it works.

This is the tricky part - it must have some kind of servo to keep the main arm tonearm pivot in the proper tangential position.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
This is the tricky part - it must have some kind of servo to keep the main arm tonearm pivot in the proper position.

Nope. Extremely good bearings and I think some kind of guide bar. From what I've heard magnets are involved in the equation as well.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Nope. Extremely good bearings and I think some kind of guide bar. From what I've heard magnets are involved in the equation as well.

Yeah...look at the 3rd pic from the top. Show's the mechanism under the armboard. It does have a guide bar that allows the 2nd pivot to slide sideways (vs a pivot). it's a bearing in racetrack...with magnets that keep the bearing from touch the track during playback. When you're cueing the arm for play...you can feel when the movement exceeds the limits and the bearing hits the side of the race track.

During set up we had a protractor with the normal 2 null points...but a straight line vs the normal arc we're used to in pivoted arms. The difference with this arm vs a servo driven or other tangential trackers is the back of the arm doesn't walk with the nudge from the servo of the glide down a air bearing shaft...in this arm the back glides as easily as the front of arm with the stylus in the groove...so when get the leveling right...the front and back move together, in unison, across the record surface.

Now the REALLY cool thing is you can hear the inner grooves now without distortion. The clarity/resolution doesn't change as you play the lp. It's a MUCH more enjoyable experience.

Plus the arm just sounds better than any i've had. The dynamics are strartling. The ability for the timing and volume level to change...you feel like you're with the ensemble playing...immersed as part of a live performance...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
No I can go ask. It's a little heavier than my Triplanar but not as heavy as a SME IV.Vi...I used to have a Linn LP12 and a Ekos...I think the weight is ok...but the arm is kinda long...I wonder if the arm board arrangement on the linn will allow enough room...
Thanks, John. If the arm is a little heavier than your Triplanar, then it won't work. As you may remember the Linn is a very picky little dear when it comes to arm weight and size of arm:(.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ack, I am guessing Steve Dobbins or Frank Schroder might have a diagram like yours above. Maybe showing how the rear arm slides like the front of the arm...Audioarcher is right...two pivots for sideways movements...(3rd pivot for up and down)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, I am guessing Steve Dobbins or Frank Schroder might have a diagram like yours above. Maybe showing how the rear arm slides like the front of the arm...Audioarcher is right...two pivots for sideways movements...(3rd pivot for up and down)

This appears to be an ingenious design; requires more scrutiny; congratulations. I've heard Schroeders before and the overall vinyl playback was very good, so I have to assume this is just at another level, as you imply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing