The Absurdity of Some Recent Audio Reviews in Stereophile.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
You claim this preamp implements the IEC rolloff, yet also admit the -3 dB point is 13 Hz. It's quite well known that the IEC amendment does not specify a -3 dB frequency of 13 Hz, but 20 Hz. See Keith Howard's article here. Seems a bit odd that a $60,000 phono preamp could miss the IEC time constant by 35 percent doesn't it?

Per Keith's article, there's a pretty good consensus that the IEC amendment shouldn't be followed in the first place, so in that sense, being -3 dB at 13 Hz is better than -3 dB at 20 Hz as the IEC amendment specifies I suppose.

But I think the claim of this preamp implementing the IEC rolloff is bogus, just an excuse for an absurdly priced component that doesn't measure well, likely due to a coupling cap somewhere that's too small. The numbers don't add up to a true implementation of the IEC rolloff. If it were such an implementation, it would be -3 dB at 20 Hz within a tenth of a dB or so.

Dear Andy: IMHO JA has to protect " at any price " both: Vitus and MF reviewer mistakes. MF review has no-sense in front of measured evidence and JA comments here and in the magazyne are really " corrupted " because does not reflect the reality, he is diminished the whole subject and does this on purpose: a shame for say the least but it is in this way that AHEE handle things and that's why not only Stereophile goes down ( as other magazynes too. ) but that's why the audio industry goes in that same way.

Btw, way before appeared the October STP number I posted that we for sure will read in this October number that the Vitus will be on Class A ( class A+ indeed!. ) even that does not deserve that but and they did it. How MF/JA could even think that a 60K phono stage could not belongs to class A+?: these people IMHO are not helping any one with this kind of " fake/fraud " audio information.

I'm really disappointed/sad with the whole JA attitude and answers on the subject: I know he is a lot better than that but like I said at the begin of this post: he has to protect " at any price " and this include his own " credibility ".

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Myles, good answer. I have been told that bad reviews don't make money. There are no reprints, there are no advertising revenues and there are hurt feelings and loss of customers. The review thing has become a popularity contest and a lot of gear worship. I miss the old days when there was some commentary from more than a single source but those days are dead and gone. TAS has three streams, or more, of independant reviewing and these streams NEVER EVER cross. This is absurd but it is what makes them the most cash I guess.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
FranzM and the original author of this thread reflect very much sentiments I expressed in a thread called reviewing the reviewers on Audiogon. To summarize I simply set out:
1. older reviews had far more integrity than they do now
2. the readership should not have to read 'between the lines' to find out what a reviewer is saying
3. writers in magazines have an industry responsibility insofar as the readership look to them for honesty and critique
4. maybe it contributes or is in part linked with the decline in interest of Joe public with audio - probably the most controversial aspect of my view

Hi-Fi Plus is a particularly interesting Magazine.

I know that Alan Sircom has written on this thread and has tried to explain his position and that of the magazine. Likewise Roy Gregory sometimes posts on here as well. I have some early editions of HiFi plus and it was a far better magazine about 2003 - Gregory was the original editor, and he was very good - sadly Hi-Fi Plus kept giving fabulous reviews to products imported by Audiofreaks (trust me Branco needed all the help he could get with his superb interpersonal skills - on that I refuse to say any more, as it happened they were nearly all good products, but when you then combine this with the fact that Roy had certain of his products on long term loan the integrity he once had falls apart.
Alan Sircom has taken the magazine in an altogether different direction. On the positive, he does review some cheaper products, unfortunately he does not fault anything.

Other discussions with reviewers

I spoke to Simon Pope who worked at Hi-Fi World and he said that unlike 20 years ago products are more consistently good, and that the magazine simply did not publish products that did not do well. He did say that magazines were scared of legal implications (as a lawyer I was surprised by this as there are no such implications). On the first point should products be compared with the same standards imposed 20 years ago. Do we expect the same of a current 3 series BMW against the E36 models of the 90's?

Martin Colloms. I have to say that I am a fan of his magazine the Audio Critic - he's happy to speak his mind, disagree with Paul Messenger (who also contributes) and set out what he effectively likes. There's no advertising in the magazine either. Best of all he will say how and why a product is not good, and if a previous version was better than the latest.

Old magazines

I recall reading editions of What Hi and also HiFi Choice in the early 90's. Full of comparative reviews. Genuine product criticism - I think one of them was something like a 20 product amp/cd-player/speaker system shoot out and it was truly informative.

Car Magazines

I accept that Hi-Fi and cars are very different, but we can learn from reviews of expensive cars - how? Because they do relatively test cars against one another and will set out a winner, they don't try and explain a product so as to justify it, they aren't scared to say if something is rubbish. They have information in abundance, and a proper explanation.

The way forward

a. Instruct a good lawyer (like me) in the event that any company threaten you - in other words have a disclaimer. ;)
b. Do some blind tests and comparative reviews
c. Be honest, clear and speak your mind

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing