XiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I am creating this thread because people are talking about this cable in other non-related threads.

From another thread:

The XiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord was designed specifically to deal with the type of noise pollution that exits from the power supplies of digital type components and or switching type power supplies. Many people have now tried the cable and the reports back to us are very impressive. The XiTron circuit was originally designed to reduce dielectric absorption but we have expanded the circuits purpose and complexity to include noise reduction in the case of the power cable. If you go to our website, we have a before and after screen capture from a power analyzer showing the dramatic noise reduction capabilities of the cable.

The cable does not fit into the hierarchy of our existing cable lines because it is a special purpose cable that was designed to solve a specific problem. And it fulfills that purpose quite well. If the specific component that you use the cable on fits the profile of a digital type device that outputs significant noise onto the power line - then, yes, the Alpha Digital PC will outperform one of our other cables - even the Anaconda. It works good on DACs, transports, clocks, USB converters, processors, scalars, computers, disc arrays, monitors etc. It will not outperform an Anaconda or Python on an analog component like an amplifier or preamplifier.

The Alpha Digital PC costs: US$995 (prices vary in other countries)
It is available in US, EU and Aussie terminations.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
So are these comparable?

Alpha Digital PC vs. a Cobra Zitron PC (which I have) with a Venom Defender in the empty plug in the duplex ?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
The Alpha Digital power cord would still hold a decided edge in performance based on the proximity (connection) of the Alpha to the component power supply. This means the power-supply noise is being dealt with at the source as opposed to down the line. The Defender may still be of some benefit, but the Cobra + Defender would still not be the equal of a Alpha Digital power cord in terms of overall benefit.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thank you for the insight.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Caelin or Grant,

Do you thing that the Alpha Digital cable is a good match for Class D ampliifers? I remember that your old Anaconda Alpha VX (digital) sounded great with an Audio Research DS450 switching amplifier.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Yes, the Alpha Digital should be a great match for the DS450. Both Caelin and I have these amps in our systems and the Alpha performs extremely well in that context. There is noting in the Alpha that would be counterproductive when used with any Digital amplifier. For standard transformer and tube based designs we recommend the other Zi-Tron model power cords or the Venom HC (high-current).

Best regards,

Grant

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, the Alpha Digital should be a great match for the DS450. Both Caelin and I have these amps in our systems and the Alpha performs extremely well in that context. There is noting in the Alpha that would be counterproductive when used with any Digital amplifier. For standard transformer and tube based designs we recommend the other Zi-Tron model power cords or the Venom HC (high-current).

Best regards,

Grant

Does this madness never end? I have four class D amplifiers in my system (including 2 x active bass cabinets). That is another $4K worth of cables (list) right there. Existing cabling will fetch may be $2K on audiogon, so it is not that bad, but still...... Does an audiophile never get a break :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Does this madness never end? I have four class D amplifiers in my system (including 2 x active bass cabinets). That is another $4K worth of cables (list) right there. Existing cabling will fetch may be $2K on audiogon, so it is not that bad, but still...... Does an audiophile never get a break :)

My guilt ... :eek:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Stupid question may be. Can anyone tell me if the Linn Chakra is a switching amp? I have these build into my Linn Klimax 340A Active center channel and need to know if this would benefit from the Shunyata digital cord.

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/user/Linn-Klimax-500-Twin-Chakra-manual.pdf

This is from the manual:

The CHAKRA topology uses an array of large bi-polar transistors as ‘boosters’ around a single monolithic.
While this in itself is not a new idea, Linn’s execution of the monolithic to bi-polar transition is unique, and a
patent application for the design has been submitted.When output current is less than a few amps, all the
power output comes from the monolithic, maximising the speed and linear properties of this design. At
higher output currents the bi-polars provide the majority of the output current, leaving the monolithic to
operate well within its capability and able to correct any error instantaneously. Even under extreme
overload conditions, like short circuit, the monolithic never delivers more than a fraction of its safe output,
while separate circuitry protects the bi-polars. So with safe current output virtually unlimited, CHAKRA offers
low-frequency response down to near DC, which is essential for the very latest servo-controlled bass
technology.The topology is very compact, actually reducing the circuit area and length of signal path
compared to previous paralleled designs and is also highly efficient, running cooler than any previous Linn
amplifier.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Caelin/Grant, My amps are Rowland M925 monos... AC feeds a PFC rectifier which supplies high DC voltage to a 2500W SMPS. A bank of 4-pole Jensen caps follow the power supply... Output stage operates in class D with an Ncore NC1200 module generating 430W/8 850W/4. Some further details at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=685

What are your conjectures/recommendations on what cord may be more synergistic with M925... Z-Tron Alpha because of the SMPS, or Z-Tron Anaconda because of the relatively high power rating... Or should this be a voyage of personal discovery?

Saluti, Guido

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin/Grant, My amps are Rowland M925 monos... AC feeds a PFC rectifier which supplies high DC voltage to a 2500W SMPS. A bank of 4-pole Jensen caps follow the power supply... Output stage operates in class D with an Ncore NC1200 module generating 430W/8 850W/4. Some further details at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=685

What are your conjectures/recommendations on what cord may be more synergistic with M925... Z-Tron Alpha because of the SMPS, or Z-Tron Anaconda because of the relatively high power rating... Or should this be a voyage of personal discovery?

Saluti, Guido

We always recommend that you do your own trials and experiments in your own system. Of course it helps to have a short list of things to try based upon good information from reviews, recommendations and trusted friends.

Generally speaking, digital type amplifiers benefit significantly from power line noise reduction. I have personally tested Bel Canto, Rowland and Audio Research digital amps and they all benefit from one or more of the following:

HYDRA Cylops, Triton, Typhon
VENOM DEFENDER
XiTron Alpha Digital PC

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For my first post here let me just add my review of the Alpha Digital cable I posted on another site.

"Shunyata has introduced a new type of power cord, the Zytron Alpha Digital, that in addition to providing the usual Shunyata goodness to power also acts a filter to noise generated by digital gear. It is designed for digital file players, DACs, and CD players.

"As the name implies, the Alpha Digital power cord was developed by Caelin Gabriel to target and measurably reduce the extreme high-frequency noise generated by all types of digital electronics, whether in audio or video applications. The noise reducing property of the Alpha Digital is so significant that this can be objectively measured using a Power Analyzer. More importantly, even a brief evaluation will yield an unmistakable, dramatic improvement in sound or video."

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/products-SignalDigAlpha.html

Two weeks ago I received a Zytron Alpha for my Bryston BDP-1 digital file player (a single purpose Linux based computer). Since at the same time I also purchased a Shunyata Cyclops power conditioner for my amps, along with an Anaconda power cable for the Cyclops, I installed the Alpha on my Blueray player. I wanted to evaluate the Cyclop's effect on my amps without having another variable in the equation. Last night I was comfortable enough with the two-channel sound to move the Alpha onto the Bryston in the two-channel system.

Anyway, the only thing I can say here is WOW! This power cable is freaking, fracking, f**king awesome! I cannot believe the improvement I am hearing. I literally stayed up last night until 10 AM this morning listening to this cable. Previously, I had a Zytron Cobra on the Bryston, and it is no slouch, but the Alpha far exceeds it.

I have to steal a phrase used in a review of the Bryston BDA-2 DAC where the reviewer stated the BDA-2 removed a 'digital haze' from the music, a haze that wasn't apparent until it was gone. While I also noticed that when I upgraded to the BDA-2, I have to say this Alpha cable takes that a step further. I spent hours last night listening to rock songs ripped from CDs of varying recording quality, and without exception they all sounded better. A lot better. There is a greatly reduced glare, and I am able to crank these tunes while not experiencing fatigue from listening at these high levels. Currently, I am in classical mode, and the instruments are just coming out of a deep, silent background. It's just amazing.

I do have to admit I am a bit disappointed in that this once again points out that everything can be improved. I am at a pretty good level at this time with cabling and power, and really could not imagine it being much better. Wrong. This one cable has made an incredible positive improvement. So much so that I am going to order another for the DAC, and maybe the Blueray player.

I admit I do sound like a broken record when it comes to praising Shunyata, but that is only because their gear works. I have never felt buyers remorse after spending money on their products since every one has been a step up. While it is possible other cable vendors might accidentally stumble onto a working product, I will continue putting my money into a company that uses science and solid engineering in their design, and has no problem with explaining how their cables work. There is no voodoo here, just solid engineering. From the low cost Venom and into the more expensive cables, each cable, and power conditioner, I have purchased has been amazing.

Two thumbs up for the Zytron Alpha Digital power cord."

PS. Glad to be here. I love these audio sites.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice review...thanks, BlueFox. Enjoy! you (and many others here) have certainly peaked my curiosity.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
For my first post here let me just add my review of the Alpha Digital cable I posted on another site.

"Shunyata has introduced a new type of power cord, the Zytron Alpha Digital, that in addition to providing the usual Shunyata goodness to power also acts a filter to noise generated by digital gear. It is designed for digital file players, DACs, and CD players.

"As the name implies, the Alpha Digital power cord was developed by Caelin Gabriel to target and measurably reduce the extreme high-frequency noise generated by all types of digital electronics, whether in audio or video applications. The noise reducing property of the Alpha Digital is so significant that this can be objectively measured using a Power Analyzer. More importantly, even a brief evaluation will yield an unmistakable, dramatic improvement in sound or video."

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/products-SignalDigAlpha.html

Two weeks ago I received a Zytron Alpha for my Bryston BDP-1 digital file player (a single purpose Linux based computer). Since at the same time I also purchased a Shunyata Cyclops power conditioner for my amps, along with an Anaconda power cable for the Cyclops, I installed the Alpha on my Blueray player. I wanted to evaluate the Cyclop's effect on my amps without having another variable in the equation. Last night I was comfortable enough with the two-channel sound to move the Alpha onto the Bryston in the two-channel system.

Anyway, the only thing I can say here is WOW! This power cable is freaking, fracking, f**king awesome! I cannot believe the improvement I am hearing. I literally stayed up last night until 10 AM this morning listening to this cable. Previously, I had a Zytron Cobra on the Bryston, and it is no slouch, but the Alpha far exceeds it.

I have to steal a phrase used in a review of the Bryston BDA-2 DAC where the reviewer stated the BDA-2 removed a 'digital haze' from the music, a haze that wasn't apparent until it was gone. While I also noticed that when I upgraded to the BDA-2, I have to say this Alpha cable takes that a step further. I spent hours last night listening to rock songs ripped from CDs of varying recording quality, and without exception they all sounded better. A lot better. There is a greatly reduced glare, and I am able to crank these tunes while not experiencing fatigue from listening at these high levels. Currently, I am in classical mode, and the instruments are just coming out of a deep, silent background. It's just amazing.

I do have to admit I am a bit disappointed in that this once again points out that everything can be improved. I am at a pretty good level at this time with cabling and power, and really could not imagine it being much better. Wrong. This one cable has made an incredible positive improvement. So much so that I am going to order another for the DAC, and maybe the Blueray player.

I admit I do sound like a broken record when it comes to praising Shunyata, but that is only because their gear works. I have never felt buyers remorse after spending money on their products since every one has been a step up. While it is possible other cable vendors might accidentally stumble onto a working product, I will continue putting my money into a company that uses science and solid engineering in their design, and has no problem with explaining how their cables work. There is no voodoo here, just solid engineering. From the low cost Venom and into the more expensive cables, each cable, and power conditioner, I have purchased has been amazing.

Two thumbs up for the Zytron Alpha Digital power cord."

PS. Glad to be here. I love these audio sites.

Welcome Bud,

I am truly excited, but not surprised about your review of the Xitron Alpha Digital PC. I currently have 5 on order and can't wait for them to come. I also can't wait to get one of their new USB cables, which I also have on order as soon as it comes out. I totally agree with you about Shunyata and how their products steal from one's ability to sleep. Shunyata is a wonderful company led by wonderful people.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I had replied in the General thread under the Spectral heading, but was asked to re-direct my reply here. Thank you for the e-mail, Marty. Let me know how your evaluation works out when you get back.

Hi Marty,

The Zi-Tron Alpha Digital has sold in sufficient numbers now that we have a very good feel for the break-in cycle and performance overall. I can't guarantee where your experience will end up of course, but I do know based on your comparison with the Cobra and comments that the Alpha will very likely change in character and performance fairly dramatically over the course of another 24-48 hours. One, the Alpha Digital power cord is not any different from the Cobra in terms of the quality and gauge of the wire, so there should be no difference in frequency extension and bass weight. Second, the fact that the Zi-Tron circuit is a bit more involved than in the Cobra means that break-in may last 1-3 days longer than the normal Cobra. Third, that thinness you mention is a very common trait of our Zi-Tron power cords as they near the final stage of break in.

Of course, each system and user experience can be different so whatever your conclusions are, we are interested in the outcome. My comments reflect our dealers, distributors and the customers shared experience as well as our own testing but we are still in the first few months of feedback so all feedback is relevant. So far, I've had positive responses from the few that have tried the Alpha with Mietner front end components, so I don't believe there is any interaction issue. Obviously, my sample size is small thus far on feedback from that combination.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail directly. I'm out of the country at the moment but I do get e-mail sent to my grant@shunyata.com address.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Sadly the feedback for the Alpha Digital PC seems to be scattered all over this forum. In fact, I have to go to my personal profile to find where my initial comments about the Alpha's landed. Since I am sitting down listening again to some reference tracks I use during evaluation of new products as they break in, especially Shunyata PC's, several days after installing 2 Alpha1 Digital PC and I have a Meitner DAC, I thought that my observations might be germane to this thread and especially Marty's and Grant's comments.

I know Marty's system well and have it heard countless times. We have a number of components in common (Meitner, Spectral, JL). Six days ago after a listening session with Marty where he proclaimed that I had the best sound he has heard from any of my systems during the 45+ years we have known each other and played with each others audio systems, I inserted an Alpha 1 PC cord into my Meitner MA-1 DAC and removed the totally broken in Zitron Cobra PC. The sound instantly became somewhat muddy top to bottom with the bass being most negatively affected, much like what I would imagine putting cottage cheese in a NIC tube and putting it in the signal path would produce. However, there was instantly an improvement that was hard to define in the midrange.

During the past 6 days all of that smearing has started to evaporate, and with it a better ability to address and identify that seemingly improved quality in the midrange from the moment of insertion. I have not doubt, like Marty, that this improvement comes from the progressive absence of digital harshness that I have credited with being part of the "digital sound". Fortunately this reduction of harshness has spread from the midrange, where the effect is most obvious, to the entire spectrum, lending a highly analog quality to my sound.

At the risk of sounding like a "what color is your aura" person, I would like to share what has become my most telling indicator of sound accuracy and offer a theory as to why it might be real. Every time I make a significant improvement in my system or hear one at Marty's or just hear a great system, I notice that I am better able to visualize what I am hearing. Yes I said "visualize" the sound and I meant it literally.

The human brain has the best recall capability of any mammal. It also appears to have the ability to readily fill in missing sensory data in an attempt to identify that which is undergoing sensory processing. Once the brain locks in on what it believes it is interacting with, there appears to be a bit of sensory generalization to other sensory modalities and an increased representation of that modality's sensory input, especially visual. This why one can better visualize with their eyes closed when there is less real data to compete with the generated data that would be present if the experience was multi-sensory.

Using this visualization test, the Alpha's are a definite plus, albeit not consistent across my sample of two components. However, using what I am offering as possible tag for Shunyata PC's "Be patient, the best is yet to come (around a month)", I know that my final assessment will be different than what I am experiencing at 6 days. Although, I must say that the progression of changes is very "Shunyata PC-like" with regard to timing and nature.

Now for the Alpha-1 surprise that I did not see coming, although in retrospect it makes lots of sense. 12 hours after inserting an Alpha-1 into my Meitner, I plugged one into my Oppo BDP 93, replacing a Zitron Cobra, which is connected to my Meitner by a MIT Oracle S/DIFF coax, which sadly is a very good cable despite its absurd price. The sound improvement was instantaneous, across the board and MASSIVE. Despite the muddiness that resulted from plugging the Alpha-1 into the Meitner the addition of the PC to the Oppo brought me back and surpassed the sound that Marty and I were listening to the night before, with the exception of the tautness of the low bass. The mid-bass was already better. The sound stage was scary good and exceeded the boundaries of the speakers unlike I have heard almost anywhere. Since I know how Shunyata Zitron PC's break in, I was totally perplexed about the immediate dramatic improvement that was occurring. The only explanation that I can offer is that the Alpha-1 has somehow aided the servo circuitry that controls the laser and maybe the purity of the beam of the laser itself, producing a more accurate read of the data on the disc. I would love to hear your thoughts on this Caelin and anyone else with sufficient knowledge to comment.

In the time that both Alpha-1's have been installed, the sound has continued to improve in much the manner that I expect from Shunyata PC's as they break in and expect that this will continue for at least another 3 weeks at a progressively smaller rate. What I can say is that the cumulative changes to date are so good that there is no way I am going back to the Zitron Cobra PC's. The good new is that I know that what I am experiencing thus far will only improve with the bass being the last to truly find its place. If I use Marty's "dollar index of change", where the previous reference is worth a dollar, I am already at $1.50 and would not be surprised if I reach $1.75 or $2.00 at a month. Believe me that I, and probably most of you reading this have spent much more for a $.20 improvement.

Bravo Caelin.

BTW, the disc that I find amongst the most helpful when evaluating break is Buddha-Bar III, Disc 1. It is very well recorded, extremely diverse, has great strings, vocals and rattling bass.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
To help with burn-in, Caelin offered this advise:

"We have tested everything from heaters and refrigerators to dedicated "burn-in devices". We have found that the best and easiest method to burn-in power cords is with a fan. A fan pulls current across the whole AC waveform and the current draw is significant. Second best is a high wattage lamp like a shop lamp or halogen.

Heaters and refrigerators cycle on/off so they only pull current when cycled on. This takes longer to burn-in the cord.

There are NO high-end cable burn-in devices that I am aware of that have enough current output to properly burn-in power cables. And yes, I have tried them all. We have considered building a device specifically for PCs but the fan seems to do the trick.

We manufacture a burn-in adapter that allows you to daisy-chain power cords together into a single line. Many of our dealers already have a set of these. This allows you to burn in multiple power cords with a single circuit and single fan."

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I already have a theory about what is special about the Alpha-1 Digital PC and I have only had them in my system for 7 days! When I look back on my impressions of the impact of this PC when first installed and how it has evolved during the past week, I cannot help but come to some very strong tentative conclusions.

First, they filter out specific power line noise, as demonstrated by Caelin's sine wave tracings, that creates an additional digital hash in the entire electrical path and thus affects signal, any digitally regulated power and of course any digital servo control, both mechanical and electrical. The drastic reduction of this digital hash produces a much lower noise floor by removing much of the hash that obscures many subtle cues in the recording. By reducing the noise floor via filtration to remove digital hash, these all important auditory cues become available and thus massively and fundamentally alter the auditory experience.

The net result from this reduction of the noise floor is much more dimensioned sound as well as a greater ability to sort out what is going on. What I hear going on sounds essentially identical to what I have heard from breaking in other Cobra Zitron cables, but in much greater detail. The net result is that when it is good, it is great; when it is considerably less than good, it is painful and very wrong.

I eagerly await watching this cable find its stride.

Many years ago I had a special opportunity to listen for hours to a fabled speaker/transducer that people, including Harry Pearson believed was only lore. It had a military power supply with filtration that was beyond anything I had ever seen or heard of. The nature of the sound was so unusual that I instantly knew I was hearing "something" I had never experienced before in audio but, had experienced many times in live scenarios. On day 7 of break in, the Alpha Digital 1 PC has moved into that category of sound, despite the less than wonderful break-in qualities of the Zitron Cobra that are more apparent than I have ever heard before.

BTW, that fabled speaker has the John Iverson "Force Field" speaker that I auditioned in his personal lab.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing