Shunyata vs PS Audio vs Pure Power vs Eqi-tech

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The first of two Torus RM 15 Plus unit’s arrived yesterday. The plan is to use one unit per mono block....1800 watts capacity...each amp at idle/full power consumes 700 watts. I have both amps plugged into the one unit I have now.

Still wow even though I am close to capacity for one unit. I’m disappointed I didn’t do this sooner (isolate from the mains) for my power amps. Regenerators don’t cut it for power hungry power amps, IMO so I use two PS Audio P5’s for the source components. So far...less grunge...more clarity, dynamic punch along with better articulated bass vs. plugging into the wall direct. Each unit weighs 85lbs. The Plus RM 15’s are beefier build with a bigger transformer, iirc. Each Torus will be plugged into NCF wall outlets and Furutech’s PC with NCF connectors.

I suppose if I want to take it a bit further, I could put an ncf outlet in the Torus units for each amp and NCF my Nordost Odin PC’s. They already use Furutech’s best connector prior to NCF in the black carbon fiber. Not sure there will be a payoff there however.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's great, Christian!

(I am planning to use a Torus device for the front-end stuff.)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's great, Christian!

(I am planning to use a Torus device for the front-end stuff.)

I might try one of my RM units on the front and do a direct compare with my PS Audio P5's...but that is an exercise that is surely a pain and the level of motivation on my part right now is low, however I think voltage regulation may be more important for the source components than power amps, so I am happy with the clean stability of regenerated AC on the source. I purposely avoided the AVR series (Volt Reg and more $$$) for my power amps as I feel the extra circuitry to stabilize the voltage is unnecessary for high current draw power amps. Just another thing to get in the way of clean, low impedance power delivery.

The other thing about Torus is they are quiet. You need to get your head inside a foot to even hear a faint transformer hum with the room silent. I have heard the equi-tech boxes can be heard humming from a distance of 6'. I have no first hand experience to verify that claim, however.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
C

Any further thoughts on the RM 15 Plus units? I assume u received the second one and have one on each mono?

The fact u haven't commented makes me wonder.......

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
C

Any further thoughts on the RM 15 Plus units? I assume u received the second one and have one on each mono?

The fact u haven't commented makes me wonder.......

One of the best upgrades to my system in a couple years. The amps are more dynamic, faster, more open and agile plugged into the torus units vs straight into the wall. I am a very happy camper.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Has anyone compared the PS Audio P10/P5 to the V2 Shunyatas?

Make sure to have a listen to the new Shunyata TRITON v3; it's a radical upgrade to an already great unit. I've heard the P10 and lately the P20
from PS Audio and have owned early Shunyata, Purepower 2000, Furman IT-Ref20is, Balanced Power units, Exactpower, Bybee v3 and Isotek over
the past 8-10 years. I am currently well over a month into a loaner TRITON v3 and I will tell you it is the finest of all preceding units and THE best
passive conditioner I have ever heard, bar none.

I cannot compare it to Torus or the big Equitech panels but frankly what the TRITON v3 has brought to the system is surprising level of last-mile
refinement and musical enjoyment. It is reported that when the new umbilical, etc..is ready for production (soon according to Shunyata) the
update TYPHON-umbilical-TRITON v3 combination will be the passive combo out there to-beat...

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I’ve found the Triton combo plugged into a massive isolation transformer to be highly synergistic.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Went to a Torus RM 20 balanced from a Furman.
Already had #10 Romex from the panel to the room,so I just had to take out the regular 20 amp breaker and wire up the Torus for 240.Very simple,just had to buy a double 20 amp breaker and pop it in the right way.Not hard to do, so don't shy away from the RM 20 because of fear of 240.
I used to run three dedicated 20 amp lines to my gear.
Now everything including the Acoustat servo amps are plugged into the Torus,and it sounds better this way.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Chuck,

Were you able to compare the “sound” of the Torus with the “sound” of the Furman, to just isolate the comparative sound of those two units?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing