Shunyata vs PS Audio vs Pure Power vs Eqi-tech

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I read their website. Shuntyata is an outstanding company. I called with a question about their outlets for my sound room about a year ago, and they were very courteous, professional, and meticulous in how they answered my questions. I was curious about the Typhon in particular because I use a one box solution from Mosaic Audio that incorporates similar principles (at least on the surface). Dale Pitcher has been made this particular technology for over five years. It is very impactful (will not put a percentage on that impact....:p), but its influence is obvious. The sound field becomes much more three dimensional. Like the Typhon, there is a "settling time." Dale is tightlipped about the particulars of the technology for various reasons.....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I read their website. Shuntyata is an outstanding company. I called with a question about their outlets for my sound room about a year ago, and they were very courteous, professional, and meticulous in how they answered my questions. I was curious about the Typhon in particular because I use a one box solution from Mosaic Audio that incorporates similar principles (at least on the surface). Dale Pitcher has been made this particular technology for over five years. It is very impactful (will not put a percentage on that impact....:p), but its influence is obvious. The sound field becomes much more three dimensional. Like the Typhon, there is a "settling time." Dale is tightlipped about the particulars of the technology for various reasons.....
From what I read, Caelin had originally designed this as a one box unit but the size and weight precluded its production so the Triton first and then the Typhon as an add on.

As for the sound becoming more three dimensional with the unit, that was the first thing that became apparent to me and my system

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I was curious about the Typhon in particular because I use a one box solution from Mosaic Audio that incorporates similar principles (at least on the surface).

I misspoke. After speaking with Dale, he said they are different animals from a design standpoint.....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Roger, why are you being so cryptic re your solutions for reducing noise? If you're going to actively state skepticism re my Entreq solutions and state you have a better solution, then please state it. Otherwise what is the point of this forum board?

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Roger, why are you being so cryptic re your solutions for reducing noise? If you're going to actively state skepticism re my Entreq solutions and state you have a better solution, then please state it. Otherwise what is the point of this forum board?

I agree spirit. There seems to be a pattern emerging of pissing on things not heard and providing cynical, philosophical and pseudo-technical counterpoints with little to no details. The name of the forum is "What's best" not "what's the cheapest or most pragmatic." There are plenty of other audio sites that can fit that bill....:p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Geardaddy, concur totally. Reducing noise on the system hasn't come cheap with 8kVA balanced power and Entreq grounding, but it's propelled performance to a whole different level that even a total overhaul of components would struggle to achieve.
It's enabled me to get off the merry-go-'round of continuous equipment upgrades that controlled my spending over the last two decades.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well I just threw my hat in the Equitech ring- have been doing a lot of thought between that, the Shunyata, or Audience. I decided balanced power with 200 units around me seemed a superior first step, but will borrow an Audience once the new beast is broken in to compare. I'm not stoked about having another 70lb box in my system...

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Noise on the AC line can come from the grid, and it can come from within the house, created by the myriad of microprocessors embedded in more and more common devices. Cable, Satellite and DVR boxes are among the worst. Your own gear often generates noise itself that pollutes the performance the adjacent components. I am fortunate to live in the boonies, far from neighbors or any industry, at the far end of many miles of transmission line-on my own transformer. Thus I am blessed with relatively clean, constant (124/248v AC.) I own but no longer use 2 Purepower units and believe they can be of value if you live near sources of up-line noise. I suspect Equitek would be even better. But, the insertion of a Shunyata Triton, Typhon and various PC's in my system has been a stunning revelation. I don't know for sure but doubt Equitec is going to do as well for noise that comes after the main panel. I suspect Equitech +Shunyata might provide the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am certainly one of those "objectivist" on the board. Yet, I find that power quality is important for the reproduction of sound. None of my experiences have been scientific but it has been a conistant to those experiences that feeding clean power to one' system increases its subjective performance. I do not much believe in power cables but think that power conditioner if well executed can make a significant difference. I need to test the Shunyatta products. The opinion on them is as unanimous as you will ever see on an Audio board, very soon indeed...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Having Auditioned and heard three of the units mentioned (but not the Eqi tech) I would vote for the PurePower and Shunyata over the PS Audio Power Plants-- the latter giving undefined bass and squashed dynamics in my opinion.

BruceD

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have a Torus wall mount, 90A panel with voltage regulation and TVSS on order. Should have it in a couple of weeks. At this point I still plan to use my Triton/ Typhon for the front end and separate Typhons for each amp. I'll see how it goes once the new panel is installed.

http://www.toruspower.com/products/wallmountseries/

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

I am certainly one of those "objectivist" on the board. Yet, I find that power quality is important for the reproduction of sound. None of my experiences have been scientific but it has been a conistant to those experiences that feeding clean power to one' system increases its subjective performance. I do not much believe in power cables but think that power conditioner if well executed can make a significant difference. I need to test the Shunyatta products. The opinion on them is as unanimous as you will ever see on an Audio board, very soon indeed...

I subjectively agree with you. However I (and you, I suppose) would love to have an objective definition of what is exactly "clean power "...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I subjectively agree with you. However I (and you, I suppose) would love to have an objective definition of what is exactly "clean power "...

I have alluded in previous post to the notion of Power Quality. There is such a definition and the IEEE is very active on this front. I came across this notion of Power Quality back in 1997: We were having all kinds of strange problems with Satellite dish amplifiers (especially those) , routers, switches and even servers were presenting odd problems from random rebooting to downright blow-ups. We had fortunately an IEEE group of engineers who were visiting the country and they showed us with graphs and measurements that our power was not "clean" , THD was off the chart way over 30% at times due tot hefact that some satellite dish amplifiers (often called HPA) were feeding back high level of RFI to the power system, disturbing generators and inverters... Proper grounding, filtering, isolation and cabling helped us ... I tried this on my Audio system and the results have never ceased to impress me. What I find strange though is how much the audiophiles community is slow to accept this notion ... making sure the AC fed to the audio components is as close as possible to the standards.

SEE THIS IEEE WEB SITE Click HERE

Will tell you more than I will ever be able to.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use a P5 for source equipment. I would never use any rack style conditioner/regenerator to plug my amps into...save for a large balanced power wall unit/subpanel setup.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I use a P5 for source equipment. I would never use any rack style conditioner/regenerator to plug my amps into...save for a large balanced power wall unit/subpanel setup.
you need a pair of Typhons for your amps Christian

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Typhon has not left my thought process...I just have more pressing priorities like deciding on my last preamp for life...lol

Well that should be easy - Pass XS Pre...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well after the difficulty working with Equitech I changed my mind and purchased a Torus Power product. I hope to have the AVR15 in two weeks. My dealer is very impressed with the Torus gang.

I still plan to bring in an Audience Adept 6-TSS to compare with after it settles in. and fwiw, I don't have much expectation bias (in fact, I hope they don't work) and look forward to the exploration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing