Shunyata vs PS Audio vs Pure Power vs Eqi-tech

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
With all this talk of people going with Shunyata lately I am curious why people have selected their power conditioning solutions over PS Audio P series or Pure Power or Equi-Tech balanced power Q units. Clearly it appears no one has compared them all, so how does one arrive at Shunyata Triton as their solution ? I have dedicated PS Audio P5 units but am interested in balanced power..... Equitech Q standalone units. They seem, IMO from a technology standpoint to be the one that would reduce ac noise most. Maybe I am wrong. I am interested to hear opinions. TIA.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
With all this talk of people going with Shunyata lately I am curious why people have selected their power conditioning solutions over PS Audio P series or Pure Power or Equi-Tech balanced power Q units. Clearly it appears no one has compared them all, so how does one arrive at Shunyata Triton as their solution ? I have dedicated PS Audio P5 units but am interested in balanced power..... Equitech Q standalone units. They seem, IMO from a technology standpoint to be the one that would reduce ac noise most. Maybe I am wrong. I am interested to hear opinions. TIA.

I am planning on getting a Triton demo unit and do direct comparison against P5

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
From what I am hearing there is no way I'm giving these units and cables back

not to be devil's advocate, you might feel the same way about Equi-Tech had you tried one. It appears word of mouth seems to be in play regarding Shunyata vs the others...nothing wrong with that. It just seems very hard to get a side by side comparison between these various makers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
not to be devil's advocate, you might feel the same way about Equi-Tech had you tried one. It appears word of mouth seems to be in play regarding Shunyata vs the others...nothing wrong with that. It just seems very hard to get a side by side comparison between these various makers.

I agree about Equi=tech but the panel could not be adapted in my room. As for the Triton/Typhon I can tell you they are keepers and you might feel the same if you compared them to the rack mounted Equitech.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think there can be multiple paths to success; I would tend to think it's impractical for lots of people to try the Equi=Tech at home. Both companies have built quite a reputation, so consumers pick one or the other based on what's accessible to them, or what fits their budget, etc. Somewhat related multiple paths and how we pick solutions, what I find really interesting, though, is how unscientifically we consumers tend to approach a solution to a problem. Two examples come to mind:

1) You plug in a new cable, and OMG what a great improvement it made over the existing one - fine, but did you actually first clean the contacts of the old cable??? This is what I did, for example, before asserting the new MIT 50ic is better on my DAC than the previous one (and yes, the old cable did sound much better after the gunk I removed).

2) Recently, some folks have discovered ultra expensive grounding devices, with various schemes that star-ground at the power supply level or the "signal" level (the negative of an RCA plug) - well, yes, but did you actually also try a simple, inexpensive star-grounding technique as well? Did you measure for continuity between the negative of RCAs and a component's ground prong, before claiming that grounding at the "signal" level is better? You will be surprised to find out that in lots of pieces of equipment the two are actually connected. Or did you make sure that all power cords in a star-ground configuration are exactly the same (make, model and length) to avoid even the slightest ground potential? There were claims that you'd have to buy the exact same separate ground wires for those devices to be their best - well, yes, and if you were to use the exact same power cords attached to a true star-ground pole that would do the same; there were claims that the more expensive silver ground wires were even better because of lower resistance - fine, but again, a better set of power cords would have achieved the same thing.

The point is that, yes, there can be multiple paths, it's just that one has to take claims with a grain of salt and investigate.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I agree about Equi=tech but the panel could not be adapted in my room. As for the Triton/Typhon I can tell you they are keepers and you might feel the same if you compared them to the rack mounted Equitech.

maybe since Grant and Calin are local here in the Seattle area i can borrow some of these and try them both with the Equi=tech and then side by side on my 'dirty power grid' in the same room. we can see whether the effect is additive, or instead. and at least in one system, how they compare.

Steve Williams

maybe since Grant and Calin are local here in the Seattle area i can borrow some of these and try them both with the Equi=tech and then side by side on my 'dirty power grid' in the same room. we can see whether the effect is additive, or instead. and at least in one system, how they compare.

That would be terrific Mike. Any way you could play them with Equitech off to get a feel if it in your system

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The point is that, yes, there can be multiple paths, it's just that one has to take claims with a grain of salt and investigate.

Especially when the claims are followed by an exact percentage of the improvement in their system with each change.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I still don't have good handle on the percentage improvement thing...

It's a matter of opinion. It's all it can be when talking about levels of improvement, unless you're referring to specs.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That would be terrific Mike. Any way you could play them with Equitech off to get a feel if it in your system

in my room i have 'dirty power' which is my regular house panel in the barn, and 'clean power' from my Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel unit. these outlets are side by side in my listening room. it would be easy to move the Shunyata units from the dirty to the clean outlets. the only issue would be the settling and warm-up factors. i'm not sure you could do a quick A/B and it would tell you everything. maybe Grant could comment on how long they need to be plugged in continuously before you would hear somewhere near it's best......to determine what might be involved in a useful investigation.

Steve Williams

in my room i have 'dirty power' which is my regular house panel in the barn, and 'clean power' from my Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel unit. these outlets are side by side in my listening room. it would be easy to move the Shunyata units from the dirty to the clean outlets. the only issue would be the settling and warm-up factors. i'm not sure you could do a quick A/B and it would tell you everything. maybe Grant could comment on how long they need to be plugged in continuously before you would hear somewhere near it's best......to determine what might be involved in a useful investigation.

The Triton and Typhon apparently continue to exert effect for quite a while after unplugging so it wouldn't be difficult. Hooking it to "dirty" power would be and ideal test as you could then switch to the Equitech treated for comparison. I'm not so sure you would glean large results with theTriton/Typhon coming off the Equitech but heck YMMV

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
I still don't have good handle on the percentage improvement thing...

It's a matter of opinion. It's all it can be when talking about levels of improvement, unless you're referring to specs.

I'm specifically referring to current posts on this forum that make such statements as "I inserted the Model Z power cord from the Magic Dragon Cable Company and immediately heard a 20% improvement over the cable it replaced."

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm specifically referring to current posts on this forum that make such statements as "I inserted the Model Z power cord from the Magic Dragon Cable Company and immediately heard a 20% improvement over the cable it replaced."

And yes, I was referring to your exact thought process Mark. I was not making that as a comment related to this thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've moved from untreated power w/distribution block, to Burmester 948 conditioner w/distribution block, to Airlink 3kVA balanced transformer w/distribution block, to Oyaide radial mains cable hard wired into a Westwick 85kg 8kVA balanced power transformer and 4 hard wired 20A-32A Oyaide lines out to 4 Furutech Rhodium plated unswitched double sockets from which I can power directly my 8 components. This final option is streets ahead of anything I've tried esp. mated with my Entreq Silver Tellus/Apollo grounding - massive decrease in noise and increase in dynamics.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
spiritofmusic how long have you had this setup in place now?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing