Shunyata Triton/ Typhon

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have loaner Pass XA100.5s and a loaner XP20 at the moment. Been listening to them for about a week or two. I typically plug each amplifier directly into its own dedicated 20a circuit. My front end is all plugged into a Shunyata Triton/Typhon Conditioner and then into it's own dedicated 20A circuit. I've recently been reading comments from Shunyata about how great the Typhon is for amplifiers so I decided to give it a try the other night. Just plugged the XA100.5s into the Triton.

To say there was a change would be a gross understatement! Bass solidified, a kind of grunge I had taken note of was gone. Everything was smoother, cleaner, more liquid. The soundstage improvement is amazing, both in depth and width as well as definition of players on the stage. These were not slight improvements. It sounded like I had inserted a different preamp and amplifiers into the system. For my own sanity I plugged the amps back directly to the wall to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I wasn't.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Frank

I'm confused. Caelin and Grant recommend that "if" one is to connect their amps to a Triton and then to the wall is not as good as just plugging a Typhon into each duplex of the AC outlet in the wall into which each amp is plugged. Using a Triton and then to the wall will add some coloration. Could it be that that was what you noticed

I ask only because my Triton/Typhon/Anaconda PC/Anaconda umbilical arrive on Monday and the fun of break in begins. Grant suggested breaking both pieces in together for 3-4 days and then to separate them for the next 2 days by plugging the Typhon into an AC duplex outlet into which one of my components are plugged

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

are you AC lines into which your amps are plugged each a dedicated line

Yes, the amps have dedicated lines. I plugged into the Triton/Typhon combo because at the time it was my only option to try the amps and Typhon together. Although I've never seen any comments by Grant or Caelin regarding coloration if plugging into the Triton. Certainly didn't seem that way to me.

At any rate, I went out and got 2 additional TYPHONS yesterday and have them plugged into the dedicated amp AC duplex outlets. After a few days of settling in, I'll plug the amps back into their dedicated outlets. There's no way I was going to plug my Pass Xs300s into the Triton or even a single 20A circuit when they get back from Pass.

Steve Williams

Yes, the amps have dedicated lines. I plugged into the Triton/Typhon combo because at the time it was my only option to try the amps and Typhon together. Although I've never seen any comments by Grant or Caelin regarding coloration if plugging into the Triton. Certainly didn't seem that way to me.

At any rate, I went out and got 2 additional TYPHONS yesterday and have them plugged into the dedicated amp AC duplex outlets. After a few days of settling in, I'll plug the amps back into their dedicated outlets. There's no way I was going to plug my Pass Xs300s into the Triton or even a single 20A circuit when they get back from Pass.

I agree. I will likely also get another pair of Typhon for both AC duplex outlets where each amp is plugged

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
IMO, TYPHON into one side of the duplex, amp plugged into the other side, that's the way to go. Amazing! The TYPHONS have only been plugged in for about 40 hours too. Improvement is immediate and very obvious, there's no listening for slight differences.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
oh you're killing me....now i am wondering about getting dual typhons for my amps and their dedicated circuits...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Steve, very curious to read about your reactions starting Monday...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
oh you're killing me....now i am wondering about getting dual typhons for my amps and their dedicated circuits...

I won't have my regular amps or my new preamp for another 2 weeks so I won't know the affect the added TYPHONS will have on the Xs300s but........what they have done for the XA100.5s far exceeds the addition of the Anaconda power cords or the addition of the Triton/Typhon stack to the front end. I'm sure the power cords and front end conditioning are helping but what the 2 TYPHONS on the amps are doing is staggering! I'm sitting here as I type listening to a temp system with no vinyl that was not engaging at all. For the past 2 weeks I would sit here working while I listen. I rarely do that. Last night I sat up listening intently and happily until 3:00AM. Again this morning I'm stunned at what I'm hearing. I may have rethought my move to $85k amplifiers and a $38k preamp if I had heard these less expensive components sound like this previously.

Obviously this is my room, my system, my opinion but I've been doing this for a long time and this is as big a pleasant surprise as I've ever had putting together an audio system. Best $9k I ever spent.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I have a Triton and I have only plugged the front end components into it. My amplifiers are plugged directly into the wall. The outlets i have plugged the amplifiers into are not duplex.

The amplifiers are the Dynaudio Arbiter and they have the input stage powered from batteries.

I was planning to get a Shunyata Typhon to complement the Triton for the front end but maybe I should get additional Typhons for the amplifiers as well? Will the Typhons work equally well on a seperate singular outlet on the same dedicated line as the singular oulet for amplifiers or should I change outlets to duplex?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In your opinion, what would be the better system - Triton and Typhon with Viper's and Cobra's power cables or just the Triton with Anaconda's and Python's?

Steve Williams

I have a Triton and I have only plugged the front end components into it. My amplifiers are plugged directly into the wall. The outlets i have plugged the amplifiers into are not duplex.

The amplifiers are the Dynaudio Arbiter and they have the input stage powered from batteries.

I was planning to get a Shunyata Typhon to complement the Triton for the front end but maybe I should get additional Typhons for the amplifiers as well? Will the Typhons work equally well on a seperate singular outlet on the same dedicated line as the singular oulet for amplifiers or should I change outlets to duplex?

I was told by Grant to plug each Typhon into the second outlet on the duplex where each amp is plugged into as the Typhon works in parallel on the circuit

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I was told by Grant to plug each Typhon into the second outlet on the duplex where each amp is plugged into as the Typhon works in parallel on the circuit

4 days in to the Shunyata prescribed 5 day settling in of the Typhons and the system is getting better by the day. Really remarkable what these boxes have accomplished just sitting parallel on the electrical lines to the amplifiers.

Steve Williams

4 days in to the Shunyata prescribed 5 day settling in of the Typhons and the system is getting better by the day. Really remarkable what these boxes have accomplished just sitting parallel on the electrical lines to the amplifiers.

Frank

I have been very tight lipped as to my impressions (albeit premature) on my pair which arrived yesterday. These are beasts especially the Typhon

Frank my friend, I am going to school on your putt re a Typhon into each AC duplex of left and right channels of the back end. What I have heard so far in my system has kept me listening all day. All I can say is that it sounds like a whole new system. Stay tuned as I understand the units on days 2-5 really sound like doodoo and it isn't until the end of week one that the units open up.

Which umbilical(s) did you go with

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

I have been very tight lipped as to my impressions (albeit premature) on my pair which arrived yesterday. These are beasts especially the Typhon

Frank my friend, I am going to school on your putt re a Typhon into each AC duplex of left and right channels of the back end. What I have heard so far in my system has kept me listening all day. All I can say is that it sounds like a whole new system. Stay tuned as I understand the units on days 2-5 really sound like doodoo and it isn't until the end of week one that the units open up.

Which umbilical(s) did you go with

That's what has me even more excited, I'm using extra Anaconda 1.8M power cords right now. The Anaconda umbilicals weren't in stock and had to be ordered. Always use the Anacondas at this level by the way. Caelin made a point of insisting on umbilicals and not full size power cords. Said it would make a big difference.

I'm with you, I can't believe the transformation and as I've said a couple of times, I'm working with loaner amps and preamp. I'm really looking forward to getting my regular amps and new preamp from Pass Labs so I can hear what these TYPHONS will do with the Xs300s.

No dodo here. It has sounded good since day 1 but really improved tonight (day 4) but I'm using power cords that are already broken in. The umbilical won't be broken in when I finally get them. The Shunyata power cords take a good 160 hours to break in so that may affect your opinion early. They don't sound very good before break in is complete.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
By the way Steve, the Triton takes a very long time to break in, unlike the Typhon. I started worrying after almost 2 weeks of constant play when I first inserted the Triton as the soundstage just didn't appear to be opening up. I heard improvements over the course of 5 weeks when it finally did open up completely.

Steve Williams

That's what has me even more excited, I'm using extra Anaconda 1.8M power cords right now. The Anaconda umbilicals weren't in stock and had to be ordered. Always use the Anacondas at this level by the way. Caelin made a point of insisting on umbilicals and not full size power cords. Said it would make a big difference.

I'm with you, I can't believe the transformation and as I've said a couple of times, I'm working with loaner amps and preamp. I'm really looking forward to getting my regular amps and new preamp from Pass Labs so I can hear what these TYPHONS will do with the Xs300s.

No dodo here. It has sounded good since day 1 but really improved tonight (day 4) but I'm using power cords that are already broken in. The umbilical won't be broken in when I finally get them. The Shunyata power cords take a good 160 hours to break in so that may affect your opinion early. They don't sound very good before break in is complete.

That's interesting because Grant said that the Typhon doesn't function properly without the umbilical

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That's interesting because Grant said that the Typhon doesn't function properly without the umbilical

Th umbilical is just a short power cord as far as I can see. The power cord is not optimal but it's working and sounding very good. I still don't have a ship date on the umbilicals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing