New Vertere Table

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, Vic the designer of my Trans Fi Salvation tt has gone one step further than Touraj.
My platter is 8kg of aluminium, and upon it are bonded a dozen Delrin pods.
This means that the lp doesn't even sit on the platter, but upon 12 individual points.
No clamping or periphery ring.
And my Terminator tonearm at 5" and air bearing/linear tracking, seems to float on the lp, w/the lp free to undulate as it spins.
It seems totally counter intuitive, but there is less mistracking than in the days when I used a TTWeights ring and Oyaide clamp.
Vic, like Touraj, believes that the vinyl should "breathe", and not be shackled in any way.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When the stamper and glob of vinyl were originally pressed together, the resulting LP was flat. I would think that any subsequent warp in an LP then represents a change in groove dimension and is thus a distortion of the original. To leave that unchecked by not flattening the LP on the platter would present an imperfect representation of the original stamper groove to the cartridge.

What happens at the micro level to the cartridge suspension when a stylus/cantilever trace a warp surely effects the orientation of coil and magnet in the motor of the cartridge and must also introduce a distortion that would not exist were the LP flat.

It is all an imperfect medium, but despite its many flaws, it can sure sound great.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, yes, Touraj and Vic have a firm view on the matter. I would have supposed that whether or not we want the vinyl "as one" with the platter would be a question which could be settled definitely as a matter of engineering -- but clearly I am wrong. There are respected turntable engineers/designers on both sides of even this seemingly simple (i.e., to clamp/vacuum or not to clamp/vacuum) issue.

What Peter wrote above seems logical to me. But like everything with vinyl playback the implementation seems to matter much more than the theory. The "floating LP" method sounds great on the Vertere turntables/tonearms and the Trans Fi Salvation and the clamp/vacuum hold-down methods sound great on the turntables made by the practitioners of those designs.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are MANY ways to Nirvana.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
There are MANY ways to Nirvana.

Yet to hear from designer that other designers approach is correct. There always something they disagreed with

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing