what can happen in Lp shipping...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
over the last 2-3 weeks I've been on a classical Lp hunt and purchased almost 100 Classical Lps individually on ebay. I've loved every one of these records and they have all turned out to be what they were represented to be.....except;

I've had 2 mishaps.

one was an Opera box set which turned out to be a mono where they used the stereo pressing number in the ad header to get search hits without any disclosure it was a mono. i'm still trying to resolve that issue.

the second one is below in the pictures. the record is unplayable in it's present state. I have a record flattener which I've not yet used. once I get refunded on this record I will attempt to flatten it.

damaged carton-1 (1 of 1).jpg damaged carton-2 (1 of 1).jpg damaged carton-4-close-up of sticker (1 of 1).jpg damaged record and sleeve-1 (1 of 1).jpg damaged sleeve-1 (1 of 1).jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think we all have our horror stories. My friend's postman tried to fold an LP and put it in his mailbox. Recently I got one where someone sliced the package open with a razor and stole the record.

OTOH, 2/100 isn't too bad! ;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
ouch. cardboard must be in short supply the EU:rolleyes: I received >50 LPs over the last year from the UK and the shipping 'box' they use is more like an envelope - inviting the unsuspecting postman to bend it.

I've had domestic ebay LP purchases come thru in the most ghetto pack job. what chaps me more is they use 'free' priority mail boxes for media mail, flattened then covered in brown wrapping paper - no wonder usps is bankrupt and we're paying for it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think we all have our horror stories. My friend's postman tried to fold an LP and put it in his mailbox. Recently I got one where someone sliced the package open with a razor and stole the record.

OTOH, 2/100 isn't too bad! ;)

Ya mean this one?

ruined lp.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Where's the smiley with a tear running out of its eye?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
At least I can laugh about it now. I was really pissed when it first happened. I figured my mailman had to be an idiot and then I met him and confirmed my initial thoughts. I didn't bother to say anything to him about the LP because I learned a long time ago it's best not to get into discussions with those that are mentally challenged if at all possible because they lead to nowhere and they get there quickly. Frankly, I'm surprised he can read the address label in order to deliver mail to the correct address. Judging by how big the "Fragile" label was across the front of the LP, I would guess he doesn't understand the meaning of the word even if he can read it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reminds me of when my ex was running this company. The UPS rep came to her office to find out why her company had stopped shipping with them. She proceeded to reach into her file cabinet and pull out all the mail/doctors reports/etc. that they had mangled. The UPS rep. w/o saying anything :)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
What's a record flattener?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I've had good experience buying on eBay so far, except for a recent incident. Four albums I bought from the same seller described as NM, "clean as a whistle" and "pristine as the day I bought them" came scratched and moldy. One even had a dead bug pressed into it. Good thing I just bought the Klaudio cleaner! When I gave negative feedback, the seller had the cheek to ask me to retract the feedback as she needed to sell the rest of the items she listed - with the same description.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Wow, that is really horrific.

I've bought quite a few from Europe (I live in the US) and a few suppliers seem to just drop them into a box that really doesn't fit well and fly them on out. As tempted as I am I haven't bought from them in a while and will continue to resist. It isn't brain surgery to pack records well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow, that is really horrific.

I've bought quite a few from Europe (I live in the US) and a few suppliers seem to just drop them into a box that really doesn't fit well and fly them on out. As tempted as I am I haven't bought from them in a while and will continue to resist. It isn't brain surgery to pack records well.

It sure isn't I'll agree. However, I presume that some sellers find the cost of a proper-sized cardboard mailer to be too expensive.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
We've all got tales. Mine is the one sent by a supposedly reputable dealer years ago. They put the LP into a regular large manilla envelope and dropped it in the mail. The outside did not have a "fragile" sticker, just hand-written "Records inside". The postman assumed paper records and shoved it in the mailbox. To his credit, he noticed when it broke and pieces poked out, so he gathered it all up and put it in a bag with a note of apology and insurance claim form, and left it hanging on the mailbox. The dealer was horrified and said a new office worker did not know what she was doing and didn't ask. They sent a new LP, properly packaged, and hopefully learned a lesson in employee training...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We've all got tales. Mine is the one sent by a supposedly reputable dealer years ago. They put the LP into a regular large manilla envelope and dropped it in the mail. The outside did not have a "fragile" sticker, just hand-written "Records inside". The postman assumed paper records and shoved it in the mailbox. To his credit, he noticed when it broke and pieces poked out, so he gathered it all up and put it in a bag with a note of apology and insurance claim form, and left it hanging on the mailbox. The dealer was horrified and said a new office worker did not know what she was doing and didn't ask. They sent a new LP, properly packaged, and hopefully learned a lesson in employee training...

That reminds me of when many years ago my ex-wife came up to me and said she wanted to talk about CDs. Having lived with me and analog, I was horrified that she would even consider CD. That was until she reminded me it was Certificates of Deposit, not music CDs. Never mind.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Considering the return on CD's today, the monetary kind, they are still pretty horrifying... :)

True but this occurred 25-30 years ago :)

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
It sure isn't I'll agree. However, I presume that some sellers find the cost of a proper-sized cardboard mailer to be too expensive.
$20-$30 for a single album, >$10 to ship it, please charge me a couple extra bucks for a mailer.

I"ve been buying cassettes from a fellow in Hungary. Good tapes but not packed real well. I always add a couple extra bucks and request extra care in packing. Less damage occurs.

Notice I didn't say "No" damage.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
here's another one...just got this one today from darryl in OH. maybe negative feedback will stop it :mad:

Attachments

• IMG-20130924-00032[1].JPG
    IMG-20130924-00032[1].JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-2.JPG
    IMG-2.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing