Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    The number is indeed the amount of rips having the same checksum as yours
    Pop music is called pop because it is popular.
    Classical music is not popular so you will find a far lower number.
    Surely, I expect that pop will have higher number of rips then classical. But even well known pops have numbers in order of hundreds. Considering the long discussions we had about the end of physical media and the increasing success of music servers I would expect a very large number of users and rips in these databases. But I found that number of effective rips is smaller than the number of WBF members reading about these matters. As they say , where are the others? I can not believe that audiophiles are not interested in bit accuracy!

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    Observe that the number of programs supporting AccurateRip is very limited: http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm
    Most rippers to day including iTunes and WMP have a secure mode.
    They probably read a CD right most of the time.
    I wonder if the majority of the audiophile community is interested in file based audio.
    A lot of them probably do think that vinyl is the only way to go.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    mep

You must go to "Program Files" folder within Windows, then in this "Program FIles folder, you will find the folder named "foobar2000" when you open this folder and should see inside another folder named "components" .. That is where you must paste the 4 dlls...
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Frantz-I just tried that. I drug the 4 files into the component folder. Foobar crashed as soon as I opened it. And even though I pasted all four .dlls in the component folder, when I restarted Foobar in safe mode, it still only showed one touchremote .dll which is the only one it can ever see when you try and install the .dlls from Foobar, and that is the foo_touchremote.dll file. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I can not believe that audiophiles are not interested in bit accuracy!
    I use dBpoweramp as well. Easy to use, quick, and reliable.
    Peace.

Ron Party

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Is Foobar a "memory" player? Would something like JRiver or Jplay sound better?
    Foobar isn't a memory player, but as Vincent mentioned, under the Output options, you can adjust the memory buffer so that the entire tracks buffer. However, with the server-build, all storage is "memory" as the music is stored on a solid-state drive (some people call it a flash drive). The OCZ solid state drive I recommended has as good latency as RAM memory.

Some have reported that the latest version of JRiver, with the event-driven replay mode sounds better than Foobar. That's the next thing I need to try - when I have some time.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Frantz-I just tried that. I drug the 4 files into the component folder. Foobar crashed as soon as I opened it. And even though I pasted all four .dlls in the component folder, when I restarted Foobar in safe mode, it still only showed one touchremote .dll which is the only one it can ever see when you try and install the .dlls from Foobar, and that is the foo_touchremote.dll file. I'm ready to pull my hair out.
    Mark, what was the message with Foobar crashing. Did you get the blue screen of death, or does it just disappear.

Did you install the full .NET framework? Not just the client services. It also assumes that Bonjour services (from Apple) is already installed. None of this will work if the wireless services are not enabled with either an external router, or the Virtual Hot Spot set-up.

I didn't have to do it when I built this current server, but in the previous version, you also need to install Microsoft Common Controls - MSCOMCTL.OCX.

Have a look at the Console messages of Foobar. If Foobar works after you delete the touchremote .dll's from the component directory. Under the View menu, there is a [Console] option. Have a look at the messages and there might be some clues - if not, cut and paste the messages here and we can have a look.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Have a look at the Console messages of Foobar. If Foobar works after you delete the touchremote .dll's from the component directory. Under the View menu, there is a [Console] option. Have a look at the messages and there might be some clues - if not, cut and paste the messages here and we can have a look.
    Gary-we are talking across threads now. I have the touchremote dll files loaded into Foobar. It shows up under the installed components as "TouchRemote DACP server for Foobar 2000." Now, I'm clueless on getting my Iphone4 set up to remote access foobar. I supposedly download the remote app from Itunes store to my laptop and it (itunes) says I downloaded it, but I sure never saw it setup and run.

So, Foobar doesn't crash anymore?

If you have the TouchRemote setup in Foobar, you have to download the remote app to iPad/iPhone/iPod - not the laptop music server.

Set up the Virtual Hotspot on the laptop.

Then, on your iDevice, find the laptop-created hotspot and link to it.[Settings] - [Wi Fi] - [Choose a Network]

Once that is done, fire up Foobar on the laptop, then in [FIle] - [Preferences] - [Media Library] - [TouchRemote DACP Server] you need to click the button [Add a New Device] - a menu will pop up asking for a 4 digit number.

On the iDevice, fire up the Remote app, and then [Add an iTunes Library]. It will give you a 4-digit number, which you enter on the laptop, and it should work.

Sorry, but I'm working off (my aged bad) memory as I don't have my iPad nor my laptop server - they are both packed away and somewhere between the Venetian in Las Vegas and my office.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast