Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

Music Server Project

For those of you participating in our music server project. This post will be used to communicate back and forth about the project.

I think we should have an initial meeting to help everyone who needs to help assembling and getting their system up and running and a second meeting where we can definitely use Gary and Joe, to setup the OS and the finishing touches. Those of you have already got your server running might want to post a list of hardware, so readers have an idea what kind of components will work well together.

My PC Specs

Here are the specs on my server:

Motherboard: Super Micro C2SEA
    Power Supply: Silverstone Nightjar Fanless
    Memory: 4GB DDR3 1066
    Display: 58" Samsung by HDMI
    Case: GMC Toast
    Heatsink: Scythe Ninja
    Processor: Intel 2.8, 65W, Dual Core
    Thermal Grease: MX-3
    Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB F3
    Disc Drive: Pioneer 12x Blu-ray burner
    Player Software: Foobar
    USB Cable: Entreq Konstantain
    DAC: Wyred4Sound DAC 2 (24/192)

Misc Details:

* The case interior is sprayed with EMI/RFI coating.

* The system is fanless, except for one fan on the CPU heatsink (because of the Blu-ray processing demand).

* The OS is tweaked from the Black Viper website.

* The PC serves as a music and home theater server. Blu-ray discs can be played from the drive, using the PowerDVD 9 player, but I also have Slysoft software, which can transfer the Blu-ray to the hard drive or a blank disc. 40 Blu-rays takes up 1TB of drive space, so it's not quite practical to store movies on the PC; 3TB drives will be out soon and a RAID server with 2TB drives could store hundreds of discs (with some hardware cost).

* I recommend using FLAC or ALAC, instead of WAV, because WAV does not store the tags in the file, which is a problem with some software. Many people have performed serious blind testing and found no audible difference between the compressed and uncompressed formats. If you can afford a solid state drive, you'll want the extra drive space.

* The memory has an input voltage of 1.5V. Check the specs for your motherboard to make sure it will take the memory you choose; some boards don't take all voltages.

Don't buy an SSD right now. Information recently leaked about the new 25nm SSD technology. These will come out at the end of 2010. The capacity will be double, up to 600gb.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/8792/

Banned
    There has been formal presentations by Intel/Micron at ISSC on their 25 nm flash development for a while. So the fact that they are coming to market next year is not a big surprise .

Yes, I realize the 25nm is not a concept that was revealed last week, but practically, for someone who wants to move to a SSD, knowing the approximate release date of the newer technology takes a lot of the uncertainty out of the decision of whether to wait, so in that respect, the news is important and useful.

Actually, by 2011 can more accurately be stated as during Q4 2010.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Hi

In stereotypical audiophile .. I also use an SSD, albeit a small one. Most of my Music is in a NAAS anyway, I am interested in a scheme where I would use the SSD or a cheap USB thumbdrive to buffer whatever I am playing, perhaps a script ... Has anyone fond such .. I feel lazy and wouldn't want to start from scratch ...

Additionally, what are the real advantages of an SSD if I am using Windows 7 with enough RAM (8) .. I am willing and able to strip Windows from almost everything save networking so .. Why would one want to use those (expensive) SSDs besides the absence of noise?
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Banned
    The difference is hard to demonstrate. But in principal, an SSD puts a much quieter load on the PC power supply than a mechanical disk drive with its motors and servo control. Spikes on power supply can cause increased jitter on digital outputs of PC. But again, without instruments before and after, this is a hard point to prove.

What I like about SSD is the fast boot up time. So I am able to restart my PC almost as fast as CE device. Likewise, windows updates go extremely fast. More RAM does not solve either.

The application for larger SSD is to put the entire library on it so that you don't have to mess with caching. My library is over 200 gigabytes right now. So larger SSDs would be nice from that point of view. Once there, you can also turn off networking reducing any impact that might have on performance.

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    I feel lazy and wouldn't want to start from scratch
    Try a media player with memory playback like J River

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    I think that amirm is spot on the button with his comment that SSD's put a much quieter load on the power supply than normal spinning hard discs. With the servo control of the seek arm, the power could be the reason why we all think a SSD sounds better. I modified my home PC using external power supplies for all the drives, and it did make it sound far better. Realizing this, there is no need for large SSDs if the actual music store is external, on a disk array that has an external power supply.

For those of you who want your music server "diagnosed", bring them early to the next meeting (Sept 9). I will be there early (before 6pm) and we can have a mini-session. I'm also in the process of building another server RMAF, if anyone's interested, I'll share my component list, and we could build a few together. It's not done yet - some components didn't work well together, but it will be sub-$500 and run Windows 7.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast