Stereophile ML3 Review

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
"I listened to my rough mixes of an Attention Screen concert with the ML3s driving his Wilson Alexandria XLF speakers, recordings that I know intimately well. I have listened to these speakers in previous visits to Michael's, when they were driven by Dan D'Agostino Momentums and darTZeel NHB-458s; as good as those solid-state monoblocks sounded with the Wilsons, I must say that the Lamm ML3s driving the XLFs was magical.—John Atkinson"

At 140 large they had better be magical.....they are out of my league and I'm glad they are...I am happy with what I have.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
"I listened to my rough mixes of an Attention Screen concert with the ML3s driving his Wilson Alexandria XLF speakers, recordings that I know intimately well. I have listened to these speakers in previous visits to Michael's, when they were driven by Dan D'Agostino Momentums and darTZeel NHB-458s; as good as those solid-state monoblocks sounded with the Wilsons, I must say that the Lamm ML3s driving the XLFs was magical.—John Atkinson"

At 140 large they had better be magical.....they are out of my league and I'm glad they are...I am happy with what I have.

it is truly a remarkable amplifier

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

See for some interesting - and critical - comments (in four parts) on this Stereophile review the Audio Federation website. I agree with the comment that way too much importance is attributed to measurements. Btw, Mike, the commentator, loves the Lamm ml3 and considers it a break trough product.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
See for some interesting - and critical - comments (in four parts) on this Stereophile review the Audio Federation website. I agree with the comment that way too much importance is attributed to measurements. Btw, Mike, the commentator, loves the Lamm ml3 and considers it a break trough product.

Thanks. I read the ML3 comments from Audio Federation and enjoyed reading even more comments thru the direct links that are interspersed throughout their blogs...quite a lot of fun. I read about their views on the X2 Series 2 and the XLF and the differences between these two. My initial reaction is to concur when they talk about the added thickness of the cabinetry of the XLF improved the sense of a truly inert structure...thus allowing upper bass and mid bass notes less shimmer...notes are deeper, denser, cleaner and more effortless...AF suggested less 'glued' to the cabinet. It frees the entire soundstage and gives it an even more effortless sense of control.

In a sentence, if you like the biggest Wilsons thru X2 Series 2 (I do) you will likely also love the XLF for being the latest in an ever-improving implementation to this particular speaker design which Wilson first launched in 1994 with the X1/Grand Slamms.

To be honest, Audio FEderation can be brutal on products, and I was particularly pleased to see them critique the X2s and XLFs and agreed with many of their comments. I was also pleased (since I have not heard any Kharmas or Marten Coltranes, let alone their reference speakers) to read that AF felt the X2/XLF compared well with those...particularly as AF have been long, long fans of those speakers, and are also dealers of both. The key is they felt you really could get the X2 or XLF to sound however you want, and if you 'just buy them' and 'hook them up to so so equipment or the wrong mix'...you're gonna hear that, and ultimately be dissatisfied. But really obsess about the set up (like our good Steve Williams here)...and they are remarkable.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Well Steve,no doubt that they are remarkable. That holographic midrange is probably the hook,but how are they on big orchestral pieces like Copland?

If I had to guess these blocks would have to have about 200-250K+uf of storage capacitance to be able to carry the weight on demanding passages. If he's done that it makes sense to me. If he's reinvented the wheel,that's alright too. My expeience is there is no substitute for horsepower,but I have my VAC's and they can be intoxicating.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No problems with the torture CD I brought to Steve's place albeit aided by powered subs. If the ML3s could drive my speakers of choice, I would have gotten them already.

Steve Williams

No problems with the torture CD I brought to Steve's place albeit aided by powered subs. If the ML3s could drive my speakers of choice, I would have gotten them already.

perhaps different speakers and a new system Jack ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
.........or I can pray Vlad can work his magic on a high powered amp!

I'm way too attached to the 9 and 11 Mk2 platforms. I know them so well I can coax practically any presentation I want from them. Alas, they are hungry beasts despite what their sensitivity numbers suggest! At one point I did mull the possibility of having a custom pair made for me just for the ML3s but I also knew that I would also need 7 rack spaces for the Signature Phone and Pre. If I was a single or two source guy, I could make that fit. Unfortunately, I'm not and very tall racks (4 or more levels) will mean I'd have to get rid of artwork in my room that I really love. :(

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't consider myself a Wilson or a Lamm fan, but having heard Steve's ML3s on several occasions with the Alexandrias, I can't argue with Fremer's review at all.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
How much is Lamm charging (retail) for a complete matched set of replacement GM-70 tubes for the ML3 Signature monoblock amplifiers?

Dre

Steve Williams

A matched pair is $170/tube

$340 total

I know cuz I just retubed

Vlad also had 6 matched pair of copper plate GM-70 which are close to $1000/pair. The stock GM-70's are carbon plate. I bought a pair of the copper plate when I purchased the amp. Boy did they have a pretty glow when lights were dimmed BUT IMO the stock carbon plate GM-70 sounded better and that's what I use now. Anyone want to buy a matched pair of copper plate GM-70's

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have no doubt that these amps sound great but that 3% THD number jumps out at me..

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have no doubt that these amps sound great but that 3% THD number jumps out at me..

The price tag is what jumps out at me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stanislav Richter's piano was what jumped out at me first time I heard them. My eyebrows raised because my eyes turned into saucers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing