Gryphon Mephisto: Review by Ultraaudio/Jeff Fritz

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I read this...Jeff Fritz seems to be a careful listener...I don't doubt his conclusions. He's pretty high on my Ayre MXR's...that is until a amp like this shows up !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I read his review of Gryphon Colosseum and concurred incl his comments regarding boulder 2060. I have been told by a number of people who have now heard the Mephisto and concur with his conclusions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
These kind of reviews inspired us to start Zero Distortion

Great to know, bonzo75...since your website is without doubt a truly inspirational one. Look forward to reading more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was being sarcastic

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Did the poster claimed it's a review or he is just posting his opinion ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did the poster claimed it's a review or he is just posting his opinion ?

I wasn't referring to Lloyd at all - wouldn't dream of it - but to M&S review.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Correction . I meant the impression posted at M&S is nothing but an impression & not a review . Sarcasm wouldn't do much good in such forum & abt the writing of somebody u prob know nothing abt . By the way , I was at that gathering with the new gryphon set up & has heard the goldmund set up a couple of times & the impression posted was fairly accurate

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Correction . I meant the impression posted at M&S is nothing but an impression & not a review . Sarcasm wouldn't do much good in such forum & abt the writing of somebody u prob no nothing abt . By the way , I was at that gathering with the new gryphon set up & has heard the goldmund set up a couple of times. If only u know the inside story about the problematic goldmund

It is quite possible the Gryphon is much better, but if something is to be posted by a site that is meant to be a review site, it is worth elaborating.

From what I know M&S is a review site - I expect more detail as in Stereophile, TAS, Audiobeat, etc...whether I agree with those opinions or not is a different question, but they write and elaborate. I can't relate to an impression on where that one song mentioned was played and those impressions came about, sorry. I can't see even a basic forum poster on WBF saying he went to Mike Lavigne's, heard a Diana Krall number, and it touched him because it was the best sound he heard.

I would be quite pleased to know your take on the Gryphon vs the Goldmund, given that I have now heard and compared Mephisto and Colosseum to other amps and can calibrate to it a bit.

You are right I do not know the background, but based on that review/impression site, I cannot make out anything, background or whatever. In which case I should treat it as a site that does not elaborate impressions.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Must all info on online sites be reviews ? Could it not be news , first impression , opinions etc . Maybe the intention of zero - distortion , nice name which I m sure u will stay true to the words, is merely to post reviews only . By the way , was it a review ???
Anyway , enjoy the hobby , be pleasant . U may meet Danon 1 fine day & wouldn't be nice to form a wrong impression of each other, right ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Must all info on online sites be reviews ? Could it not be news , first impression , opinions etc . Maybe the intention of zero - distortion , nice name which I m sure u will stay true to the words, is merely to post reviews only . By the way , was it a review ???
Anyway , enjoy the hobby , be pleasant . U may meet Danon 1 fine day & wouldn't be nice to form a wrong impression of each other, right ?

It was more of a report, than a review. We are not a review site. We are a Listening Notes site, another name we considered.

Zero Distortion was chosen more for the impact and recall factor. Glad you liked the name.

Personally I preferred MoneyPit, but was overruled.

I don't have anything against Danon. I just wish he had elaborated more, that's all. Goldmund vs Gryphon is a topic that interests me.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
He didn't listened long enough to do a proper review . We were taking turns to listen to the system & he like what he heard particularly Carol Kidd , when I dream . Anyway good luck with Zero-distortion

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, heard very good things about your system from Jazzhead, so congrats.

And personally, I too prefer the Vitus to the Gryphon now though without a direct comparison, but with many listenings. The Vitus and Boulder are my 2 favorite SS now

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Yup jazz head were at my place 2/3 weeks ago. Moved from Gryphon Mephisto stereo to Vitus MPS & Vitus MPM . Both brands are good

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In terms of transparency, which amp showed through more changes made to your Techdas?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/07/the-gryphon-heaven.html#more

Some of you may remember Pham Thanh Cuong's system in Vietnam from Audiogon...always a true turntable lovers paradise (this, from a non-analog guy, but it sure looked amazing)...he went Gryphon electronics with the massive Kharma towers, and then apparently has now gone across to Gryphon Kodo speakers...

Gryphon System!.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing