Sampling rates and street sense. or when is close, close enough?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:D

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
...As an aside, people keep talking about 96 KHZ/192 Khz as the better data rates but in reality, 88.4 Khz and 176.4 Khz are more optimal. Anyone know why?

This is just a guess, but 88.4 and 176.4 are multiples of 44.1--the redbook sampling rate--so I would think that it might make resampling between formats easier. :confused:?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is just a guess, but 88.4 and 176.4 are multiples of 44.1--the redbook sampling rate--so I would think that it might make resampling between formats easier. :confused:?
You got it. Hopefully anyone targeting CD is using multiples of its sampling rate and therefore, when releasing the high resolution versions, would put out that. If they are creating at 96 and targeting the CD, then that is less optimal. And if they are creating at 88 and releasing at 96, that is really non-sense.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It is true. Just using the pro data rate of 48Khz would have given us nearly perfect scenario. If we are going to change it, then anything north of 50 to 55 Khz will do the job. Building good digital systems would have been cheaper and easier if they had just given us a bit more headroom.

As an aside, people keep talking about 96 KHZ/192 Khz as the better data rates but in reality, 88.4 Khz and 176.4 Khz are more optimal. Anyone know why?

Less math to down convert to 44.1?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dang! Smoked by the Smokester!!!!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Wasn't the Colossus system, first popularized with Telarc's recording of Alexander Nevsky, using a 48 kHz sampling rate? There were a few other discs released on the Bainbridge label that used the system, and those offered very good sound. One had George Cleve conducting the Midsummer Mozart Festival Orchestra, and another was a cello/piano duet disc of Rachmaninov (IIRC..). I have all the mentioned discs, and will dig them out to confirm the repertoire.

Perhaps the Colossus system, and others like it, didn't catch on just because of using 48 kHz instead of redbook 44.1. Many movie soundtracks, however, are 24 bit/ 48 kHz sampling rate. Interesting how the two industries have not meshed in the use of their technologies.

Great contributions, Amir. Thank you.

Lee

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
If I am converting analog to digital (e.g. my turntable through the TacT preamp), isn't (in theory) 24/192 better than, say, 24/48, since I am not creating or reading a CD?
Chuck, the TacT DSP's process in and convert everything to 96, so you may find that leaviing the output @ 96 provides the best AQ.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Regarding the, uh, English in the Lavry white papers and documents, they definitely weren't edited by a fine hand. Dan is (as I recall) Russian, via Israel, and is a very smart (and engaging) fellow. So's his wife Priscilla. They're both music enthusiasts to the max. However, Dan's written English has its moments. He definitely presents things in a straightforward and graphical manner, which is quite helpful to the beginner, and useful to the more advanced reader.

And he prefers digitally-controlled analog attenuators to the all-software designs of, for example, Berkeley and Weiss (Weiss also makes an all-analog passive attenuator). Either approach can give very good results, although my personal bias is to do it all in software. Others think differently.

In addition to knowing his Bechsteins from his Boesendorfers, Daniel's favorite instrument is the accordian. Why? Vell, with accordian, one can play real Russian folk music!

Regarding higher sampling rates, etc., remember that Nature sometimes fights back. Sure, well-recorded and mastered 88/24 sounds terrific, to my ear: it's really free from "effort" and "sluggishness". On the other hand, certain artifacts and distortions hidden by the lower SNR of 44 can emerge. It's sort of like the difference between 480P and 1080P: the lower resolution format hid a multitude of sins. Under the microscope of 1080P, all is revealed.

Last edited:

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
DICE frequency conversion chipset

Yeah, the frequency conversion deal is a real nightmare (speaking of jitter, anyone?)... The DICE chipset in the Weiss INT 202 can do this quite well... and the users manual is 250+ pages. One doesn't get into arbitrary frequency conversion without a lot of processing power.

Look at those jitter measurements. This is accomplished by a hybrid PLL that includes both software and hardware components. Attached is an excellent dive through the DICE product.

Attachments

• DICEII_Presentati&#1.pdf
    633.5 KB · Views: 1,528

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@ Audioguy... going to 192K in this scenario guarantees your files will be 2X the 96K and 4X the 48K :) That's about it. As RUR noted, the TacT is 96K anyway, so that's a good balance of performance and bulk.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Peter, you lost me there. What do you mean?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Regarding the, uh, English in the Lavry white papers and documents, they definitely weren't edited by a fine hand. Dan is (as I recall) Russian, via Israel, and is a very smart (and engaging) fellow. So's his wife Priscilla. They're both music enthusiasts to the max. However, Dan's written English has its moments. He definitely presents things in a straightforward and graphical manner, which is quite helpful to the beginner, and useful to the more advanced reader.

And he prefers digitally-controlled analog attenuators to the all-software designs of, for example, Berkeley and Weiss (Weiss also makes an all-analog passive attenuator). Either approach can give very good results, although my personal bias is to do it all in software. Others think differently.

In addition to knowing his Bechsteins from his Boesendorfers, Daniel's favorite instrument is the accordian. Why? Vell, with accordian, one can play real Russian folk music!

Regarding higher sampling rates, etc., remember that Nature sometimes fights back. Sure, well-recorded and mastered 88/24 sounds terrific, to my ear: it's really free from "effort" and "sluggishness". On the other hand, certain artifacts and distortions hidden by the lower SNR of 44 can emerge. It's sort of like the difference between 480P and 1080P: the lower resolution format hid a multitude of sins. Under the microscope of 1080P, all is revealed.

I am not an engineer like the Lavrys but I can report on some recording experience and studio observations. When I started doing recordings here in Atlanta we were doing 24/88.2 and 24/96 recordings and we got pretty good results. When we starte doing recordings at 24/176 we finally were able to recreate the "event" as nice as I wanted to. Now sampling theory would suggest 16/44.1 is fine enough. But in practical recording implementation it is not. It has for sure gotten a lot better but 24/176 just seems more natural - smoother, more detail, better imaging, better timbre.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hey Peter, you lost me there. What do you mean?

plugins and DSP have a native rate that they process everything in. Most of the time it's in 24/96 or whatever. So instead of making your machine work harder and doing a lot of up/down converting, keep it at one sample rate throughout.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah, the frequency conversion deal is a real nightmare (speaking of jitter, anyone?)... The DICE chipset in the Weiss INT 202 can do this quite well... and the users manual is 250+ pages. One doesn't get into arbitrary frequency conversion without a lot of processing power.

Look at those jitter measurements. This is accomplished by a hybrid PLL that includes both software and hardware components. Attached is an excellent dive through the DICE product.

Doh somehow missed this. thanks for the link.
Also shows that they have implemented support for the firewire/IEEE 1394 isolation in the Link Layer Controller, which is part of the standard (missing from USB and this means proprietary/bespoke engineered solutions as seen by Ayre QB9).

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing