Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: High Fidelity Cables

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]

High Fidelity Cables

Hi.
    Can anyone share their experiences with these cables? They come in three different series. I would like to hear about their IC, speaker cables etc. Also build quality, what systems they are used in etc.

And, comparisons with other cable brands if possible. I have read a lot of positive reviews about them

Thanks

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    I went to this dude's exhibit at the lone star audio fest. He had the most elaborate system there. He explained to me that his cables need magnets to "pull" the signal through the cable. Pure weirdness going on there. He was lucky to have Voxativ speakers, so it sounded decent.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Here's the crux of the patent they licensed:

The signal voltage for standard inter-component audio signals is typically between 0 V to 2 volts root mean square (V RMS), and generally with negligible or little current. The frequency range is typically 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, with some systems requiring a frequency range up to 50,000 Hz. The test signal was a 1,000 Hz sine wave generated with a notebook computer using a TrueRTA real time analyzer (RTA) Tone Generator. A first test was run using a 1 kHz sine wave at −10 dB, or about 0.2 volts amplitude. Because a standard signal voltage level is generally about 1 volt, this test was determined to be run at too low a voltage level to provide meaningful results based on the capabilities of the test setup. Accordingly, a second test was run using a 1 kHz sine wave at a more realistic −3 dB, or about 1.0 volt amplitude, which better represents a typical inter-component voltage level. For completeness, however, the results of both tests are provided below.

The results were then analyzed for total harmonic distortion (THD), total harmonic distortion+noise (THD+N), Intermodulation Distortion (IMD), and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), using SpectraPLUS software. The two tables below provide a summary of the results.
    TABLE 1
    −10 dB Amplitude Test
    −10dB THD THD + N IMD SNR
    Standard Connector Cable
    Sine Computer 0.03498% 0.03610% 0.2549% 68.849 dB
    (Linear Phase
    Filter)
    Sine DAC 0.01813% 0.15582% 0.2553% 56.148 dB
    (Minimum Phase
    Filter)
    Magnet Connector Cable
    Sine Computer 0.03505% 0.03720% 0.2559% 68.589 dB
    Sine DAC 0.02014% 0.15623% 0.2557% 56.124 dB
    TABLE 2
    −3 dB Amplitude Test
    −3dB THD THD + N IMD SNR
    Standard Connector Cable
    Sine Computer 0.02181% 0.02199% 0.2554% 73.157 dB
    (Linear Phase
    Filter)
    Magnet Connector Cable
    Sine Computer 0.01798% 0.01842% 0.2553% 74.694 dB
    The test results appear to show a slight decrease in performance for the signal cable using the magnet center-pin at the −10 dB signal level. There was a slight increase in both THD and noise, plus a slight decrease in SNR. The differences were between 0.4% and 3% of the total THD/noise, and the SNR decreased by 0.26 dB. One potential hypothesis for this result is that the signal cable with the magnet center-pin may be allowing lower-level noise within the signal-generating computer to be transmitted through to the digital recorder. That is, the threshold for signal transmission for the cable with the magnet connector may be lower than for the cable with the standard non-magnet connector. Again, and regardless of the actual reason, the −10 dB signal level was determined to be too low to provide meaningful results.

The test results show a significant improvement in performance for the signal cable using the magnet center-pin at the −3 dB signal level. There was a decrease of approximately 20% for the THD/noise, and there was an increase of the SNR of approximately 1.54 dB. Further, the tests showed an absolute THD+noise reduction of approximately 20% when only the analog signal was changed. There generally would have been THD+noise generated by the signal computer and the Tascam US-122L recording device. There also would be expected to be small levels of THD+noise resulting from the adaptors, both from the computer and into the recording device. The THD+noise from these devices would have been consistent from one test to the other. Thus, the reduction in THD+noise of the signal cable by itself would be expected to have been greater than the measured 20%.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    The only thing this says to me is basically a reaffirmation to keep signal cables (especially phono) away from magnetic fields, as they can be affected based on the signal level
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    No thank you. I wouldn't buy anything from Rick Schultz the "Oddiophile". The guy went belly up with his first venture Virtual Dynamics and his "Speed of Light" technology. Now he's hawking the "Magnetic Conduction" technology with his new venture, High Fidelity Cables. It's nothing more that pseudo-scientific babble.

Then there's this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! mauidan's Avatar
    Cables are very system dependent.

I tried the CT-1 interconnects and didn't feel they represented any improved over the new Audience Au24 SEs.

If you're looking for interconnects, another cable you should check out is the new JPS Superconductor Vs.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Oh yes, cables are indeed very system dependent. I read in another thread about High Fidelity Cables, but that one ended in a long discussion over other cable brands. Not uncommon!

The press are very positive about HFC cables, without exeption. I would appreciate more user feedback. I also see that there are many HFC up for sale on Agon, they all ( well almost) say that they will upgrade in the HFC line.

Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post
    No thank you. I wouldn't buy anything from Rick Schultz the "Oddiophile". The guy went belly up with his first venture Virtual Dynamics and his "Speed of Light" technology. Now he's hawking the "Magnetic Conduction" technology with his new venture, High Fidelity Cables. It's nothing more that pseudo-scientific babble.
    Actually, the principles behind "Magnetic Conduction" are very similar to those used in the Large Hadron Collider.

And judging people based on the past failures would mean you'd have to discount 99% of humanity from being worthy of investing in. Like Steve Jobs.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    ...or Brian Harrison of Solyndra

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post

Then there's this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI
    Actually I don't think VD was Rick's first foray. I think he also did Aural Symphonics that many people liked at the time? Rick also imported audio magazines into Canada for while including mine. BTW, Rick's been in the industry for quite a while and IIRC worked at Audible Illusions for a while?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast