Cables and the Peter Principle

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,'' was stated by Dick the Butcher in ''Henry VI,'' Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73.

Silly me. I was sure it was line 74.

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
"74,""74?"...well Groucho you have said the secret word!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro said --

In a thread called "cables and the Peter principle," in which, once again, the failure of the rational,to hear that which is unlikely, illogical and unverifiable is blamed on the inadequacy of their listening experience? No. You won't be left alone with that. It was a shot across the bow.

Tim

Tim,
I was sure you would write something pompous and definitive like that. Congratulations, it sounds nice, perhaps Shakespeare would be proud of it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Most audio companies have white papers that address the "why should I pay $10k for this cable?" question. I tend to find them lacking in technical details, but that is not what sells cables -- perception and sound, do.

All IMO - Don

Don,

You can replace "this cable" for any audio equipment and your comment will still be true. IMHO the technical details given in white papers are seldom connected with audio specifications or sound quality in high price devices. Most manufacturers do not want to disclose the really important information and as buyers are not prepared to understand it, in the end it could be a marketing error.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,
I was sure you would write something pompous and definitive like that. Congratulations, it sounds nice, perhaps Shakespeare would be proud of it.

Thanks for the support, micro. By the way, in English, it would be difficult for something to be both pompus and definitive.

Here, let me edit ou tthe part that was my opinion and stick with the ugly facts of the original post:

In a thread called "cables and the Peter principle," in which, once again, the failure to hear the immeasurable and unverifiable is blamed on the inadequacy of their listener's experience and/or equipment? No. You won't be left alone with that. It was a shot across the bow.

Any better?

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the support, micro. By the way, in English, it would be difficult for something to be both pompus and definitive.
Tim

Something or someone could be pompously definitive.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
[/B]

Something or someone could be pompously definitive.

I'm not so sure. Definitive is about clarity and fact. A statement that is definitive defines what it is discussing. Pompous is all about puffery and self-aggrandization. No, I'm pretty sure pompously definitive would be difficult. Definitively pompous, however, would be easy. :)

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I did like the analogy Tim gave of the fuel line in a car. If a pure gold fuel line delivers the same flow of fuel, but you can afford it, perhaps it is the best...

I don't understand the attraction of comparing cars to audio equipment. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar manufactured products, or with more different engineering.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't understand the attraction of comparing cars to audio equipment. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar manufactured products, or with more different engineering.

Simple enough: Things guys like. We might be better off comparing our systems to women. Would make more interesting analogies.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As I have been pointing this aspect several times I feel happy you refer to it. Audio reproduction is a psychoacoustical subject, and analogies with most other engineering subjects are usually highly misleading. They can be fun, but normally nothing else.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
If I could just reprise a point I made in another thread:

Electronic engineering involves studying the literature and obtaining qualifications. In the world of audio cables, we have unqualified people telling qualified people that they are ignorant about a certain aspect of electronics. But here's the amazing thing: there is no literature that the apparently-ignorant engineer can turn to in order to fix his deficient knowledge. There is no text book that can tell him how to make a cable sound "rhythmical". There is no university that can teach him the theory. Because there is no theory! It is actually impossible for a keen and enthusiastic person to become qualified or proficient in audio cable design!

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Electronic engineering involves studying the literature and obtaining qualifications. In the world of audio cables, we have unqualified people telling qualified people that they are ignorant about a certain aspect of electronics. But here's the amazing thing: there is no literature that the apparently-ignorant engineer can turn to in order to fix his deficient knowledge. There is no text book that can tell him how to make a cable sound "rhythmical". There is no university that can teach him the theory. Because there is no theory! It is actually impossible for a keen and enthusiastic person to become qualified or proficient in audio cable design!

Tell that to the engineers at Belden who have been designing high performance audio cables for many years.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I fail to see any mystery or why you seem so amazed.

You will find all the theory related to cable design and electrical, mechanical and electro-mechanical properties of materials used in cables in text books. What you will not find is data on its effect in sound quality and on the the fine interaction between cables and equipment. Remember that except for marketing purposes, no reasonable person will tell you his cables are the best for all systems and everyone.

An important issue in high-end cable is manufacturing expertise - the relevant effects are so small that manufacturing cables that have consistent sound qualities and longevity needs a lot of knowledge.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Anybody checked out the prices for cables used in network analyzers? The cables look really cool and they are very expensive. They look more like jewelry than lots of high-end cables and I'm pretty sure that these cables aren't designed and built by some guy in his basement.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
7 nines OFC does look like jewelry. Oh so purdy!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
thats not what he is saying at all, he is saying, to use your reply, call beldon and ask them for their stock line of cables and ask for one that is rythmical.

btw, i can design a cable to sound different than another, but it is not magic, nor does it make the other one "correct". The idea is, which seems to be lost on some audiophiles, is that when two cables are designed with the nearly same measurable characteristics (resistance, inductance, capacitance, shield percentage, dielectric constant, and emi/rfi the same) then you aint gonna hear a difference in any scientific test and the less expensive cable will be plenty good enough...ie inaudible...

Are there two cables sold which measure the same in all those parameters?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
thats not what he is saying at all, he is saying, to use your reply, call beldon and ask them for their stock line of cables and ask for one that is rythmical.

btw, i can design a cable to sound different than another, but it is not magic, nor does it make the other one "correct". The idea is, which seems to be lost on some audiophiles, is that when two cables are designed with the nearly same measurable characteristics (resistance, inductance, capacitance, shield percentage, dielectric constant, and emi/rfi the same) then you aint gonna hear a difference in any scientific test and the less expensive cable will be plenty good enough...ie inaudible...

Tom,
Are you deliberately ignoring the electro-mechanical characteristics such as triboelelectric and piezoelectric properties, and the properties of real, non ideal dielectrics? Do you also consider that the material of the conductors has no effect on the cable? Should we assume that the variations due to the resistivity difference between copper, silver, aluminium or even iron are too little to have any effect on typical cables?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I need some "audiophile approved" Ethernet cable to connect my converters! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing