Vibrations and cable network boxes

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You know, this set won't be complete without the Rockport turntable.

;) Agree...but I am not a vinyl guy. Fortunately, I do drive the Zanden 4-box digital which is reasonably analog-like for digital. That's as close as I promised myself I would ever come to analog, I'm afraid. ;)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I own Transparent Audio REF XL speaker cables. Someone suggested that I experiment with either raising the network boxes up on spikes or isolating them from floor born vibrations. I am a firm believer in isolating components and own three Vibraplane platforms for under my turntable and each SS amplifier. I have been exchanging emails with a fellow in Hong Kong who has DIY amp stands which involve a sandwich platform with bubble wrap as one of the layers.

So the other night I constructed a rather crude DIY isolation solution made up of stuff I had lying around the house. I placed my two network boxes up on a paperback book and bundle of bubble wrap and then placed a heavy book end on top. I listened to some of my reference LPs and can report the following:

The difference is subtle, but audible and repeatable. There is a slight increase in perceived detail, overall clarity and dynamics. It is not nearly as significant an improvement as when I added the Vibraplanes to the system or even later added the steel ballast plates to preload the Vibraplanes, but the areas of improvement are quite similar. The signal is cleaned up a small amount and as a result, I hear more contrast in dynamics, a bit more depth definition and overall information. Thus encouraged, I plan to experiment a bit more and perhaps find a way to support the networks on my Vibraplanes. Has anyone else tried to deal with vibrations effecting these network boxes?

Here are some photos of my DIY contraption:

View attachment 10964

View attachment 10965

"The Lost City of Z" is a great book but I think "Season of the Witch" or a Murakami novel will take things to a higher level ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
;) Agree...but I am not a vinyl guy. Fortunately, I do drive the Zanden 4-box digital which is reasonably analog-like for digital. That's as close as I promised myself I would ever come to analog, I'm afraid. ;)

Let me remind you, life's too short; think about it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Let me remind you, life's too short; think about it.

Yes, you are surely right...I agree. However, my own personal approach to that philosophy was that I promised myself not to split my resources across 2 or 3 front-ends. I went after what for me was one of the best digital sources (finally got it second hand), and placed all my efforts towards that goal (including music collection which is now somewhere around 1700-1800 albums) and now just enjoy the music.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yes, you are surely right...I agree. However, my own personal approach to that philosophy was that I promised myself not to split my resources across 2 or 3 front-ends. I went after what for me was one of the best digital sources (finally got it second hand), and placed all my efforts towards that goal (including music collection which is now somewhere around 1700-1800 albums) and now just enjoy the music.

You can't just sit back and enjoy the music, you're an audiophile. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, I'm back at it. After looking at these network boxes sitting on the floor right next to my Vibraplanes, I figured, what the heck? So I unplugged the amps, the cables, the ICs and moved the amps back to the rear of the steel ballast plates on each Vibraplane creating just enough room to place the Transparent networks in front of each amp.

I've spent the day listening and sure enough, it sounds different. My initial impressions are that the sound is a bit more clear and focused. Slightly better low level information and increase in depth of soundstage. Individual instruments are slightly more defined. The LP which sounded the most different was the Sheffield Drum Track. More impact, clearer cymbals, slightly more dynamic. This was pretty surprising. I continue to marvel at how this LP sounds on my small two-way, sealed speakers.

I will keep listening for a few weeks to confirm these observations, but for now, I'm encouraged. It does look a bit strange and I wonder about the proximity of the networks to the massive transformers in my amps. But, I do like the sound.

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2354.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Peter...I understand your observations are part of what underlies the design of the Opus and Ref MM network boxes (and even your XL box). For those that have not got Vibraplanes...what else have you tried that made a positive difference besides the brass and marble lions? Which was better...damping on top or padding underneath? Oh and please don't say Stillpoints Ultras or Ultra 5s...I could not get myself to buy even more! ;) Thanks for any other suggestions you may have tried but not mentioned.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just went back and saw Frank750's set up with Ultra 5s under each MIT cable network box...I will not be tempted! (Repeat 10 times...)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just went back and saw Frank750's set up with Ultra 5s under each MIT cable network box...I will not be tempted! (Repeat 10 times...)

Even better - get rid of the Transparent boxed cables immediately and buy some Shunyatas - the Shunyata cable elevators are not so expensive as the Ultra 5s! ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Darn you Peter...Now I gotta go get the bubble wrap outa the garage and try this to :) ! Thanks for trying something different that most of us (me anyway) don't even usually consider. I am guessing there are capacitors and resistors inside those networks, so this shouldn't surprise us...like it is...

Hope you and your family are having a great summer !

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Peter,

I gotta say, that is pretty darned creative and smart!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Darn you Peter...Now I gotta go get the bubble wrap outa the garage and try this to :) ! Thanks for trying something different that most of us (me anyway) don't even usually consider. I am guessing there are capacitors and resistors inside those networks, so this shouldn't surprise us...like it is...

Hope you and your family are having a great summer !
Just try tiptoes. Think it's a better solution. I'm using Goldmund cones.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
After reading this thread, I just put some Synergistic Research MIGs under the network boxes of the MIT Magnum M1.3 SCs I have on loan in the 2 up, one down config.

Listening to some Andrew Hill, and I'm now enjoying a more liquid presentation.:cool:

Before reading this thread, I would have never thought about any doing anything with the network boxes.

Mahalo.

PS- the MIT spade connectors included with these cables, IMO, suck.

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Try them! What do you have to lose at this point?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter...I understand your observations are part of what underlies the design of the Opus and Ref MM network boxes (and even your XL box). For those that have not got Vibraplanes...what else have you tried that made a positive difference besides the brass and marble lions? Which was better...damping on top or padding underneath? Oh and please don't say Stillpoints Ultras or Ultra 5s...I could not get myself to buy even more! ;) Thanks for any other suggestions you may have tried but not mentioned.

I did try the lion book ends on top of the networks thinking it would dampen vibrations through mass. This was in addition to the networks being placed on top of a paperback book and bubble wrap. I found that the lion book ends did not make a difference and they looked kind of silly. The bubble wrap made a very subtle improvement.

Now up on the Vibraplanes, the improvement seems less subtle, but still not significant on most music. By comparison, the turntable and amps were immediately and significantly improved. I need some more time to sort out the differences for the networks.

These cables, and components in general, are designed (and voiced) to sound one way, and I'm sure the guys up at Transparent were not listening to these while isolated on Vibraplanes. Perhaps as Myles suggests, they were designed to be spiked or grounded and not floating on isolation. I'm thinking that my networks have the small spiked footers and they are sitting on 300lbs of steel, which is itself floating. So perhaps internal vibrations are being drained down through the footers into the steel which is isolated from vibrations coming up from the ground. At least that is my speculation as a non engineer.

I'd like to try Stillpoints someday, but for now, this is fun and the experiment is free.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks John, I guess one could experiment with the size of the bubbles in the wrap. I whoopi? cushion might also work. Seriously, since this stuff is free, I don't think it hurts to try it.

(Off subject, my buddy Madfloyd just heard your speakers at Goodwins. He thought they sounded incredible.)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So now I have had a chance to really listen to the isolated networks. I also switched back to placing them on the floor for a few days and then returned them back to the Vibraplanes. The difference is interesting. Up on the isolation, the sound is a bit more focused and clean. Details and dynamics are slightly more clear and violins and piano sound more like what I hear at the symphony. But it also reveals better the flaws in less than great recordings. On the floor, the bass seems warmer and slightly bigger or "fatter". There is a bit more color and euphonic character to the sound which is extremely pleasant, but it is a bit slower and I think slightly less accurate. It is also a more forgiving sound. Both ways sound very good, and if I did not hear both, I would not know the difference and could easily live with either.

I have little experience with tubes in my system, though I have heard plenty of other systems with tubes. The difference I hear when the network boxes are not isolated and sitting on the floor is similar to the way people describe adding a tubed component into the system chain. "It adds just the right amount of warmth, body and midrange bloom. It is so smooth and lovely sounding. Very musical and less analytical, etc. etc." I don't want to debate tubes vs SS, but that should help describe the differences I hear.

I am biased toward a cleaner, more accurate sound, so for the time being, I will leave the networks up on the Vibraplanes. But I can see wanting to try them on the floor again in the future for a slightly different sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing