New VPI Table

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
how much would a studer with a doshi cost?

15k or so? Assuming it doesn't need new heads or other parts (that most will). And the services of Ki :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Whenever I have heard the UHA deck, I think it's in a different league than even the best TT's that I have heard. I have heard most of the great TT's. I'm very invested in analog, BUT I can tell you, IF I was to start over, the go-to choice for me would be this deck...regardless of the lack of software and the very high cost of same, it's an ear opener, IMHO. IF the new VPI can come into the same ballpark as this deck, I'm going to have to look into it. I very seriously doubt it though.
Let's see what Myles has to say after his session.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Was there quality issues with the TP tapes?

I didn't care for the low levels that mine were transferred at. Most of the tapes (and I only had 6 titles which means 12 tapes) barely made my VU meters move from the low average level of the recording.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
If I could have even 1/1000'th of the LP selection on tape I would be interested in top tier tape playback. As it is right now I don't think I'll ever see my favorite musicians on tape.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
15k or so? Assuming it doesn't need new heads or other parts (that most will). And the services of Ki :)

Myles,

Mahalo for the info.

I guess if I already owned a some great RTR tapes that would be a good investment.

With 1200 LPs in the rack, I guess I'll try to continue to improve that playback format.

Aloha,

Dan

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Officially out. And it looks like the production model will have a removable armboard.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Officially out. And it looks like the production model will have a removable armboard.

Yes I hope to have one in the next week or two. I think the arm mounting is the same as the other Classic tables and is possibly both a strength and drawback to the design. Of course, you can mount two arms (possibly three) instead.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
We'll sorted tape is the cheap way to go and you ultimately get the best sound if you have the software. I can say that my AF1 is very close to tape in both dynamics, noise floor, bass extension and overall density of the musical notes. The only downside is that it costs a lot of money...like 6 phase 11 UHA decks for just the spinner part w/o tonearms, carts and phono stages....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We'll sorted tape is the cheap way to go and you ultimately get the best sound if you have the software. I can say that my AF1 is very close to tape in both dynamics, noise floor, bass extension and overall density of the musical notes. The only downside is that it costs a lot of money...like 6 phase 11 UHA decks for just the spinner part w/o tonearms, carts and phono stages....

The other interesting point is that the best table/arm/cartridge are getting mightly close to tape, especially in those areas of dynamics (esp. in the lows) and sense of unrestricted ease, that were formerly the sole province of tape. The many breakthroughs in arm resonance, cartridge design and I think especially phono stage design.

BTW, the 12K Koestsu Azule cartridge sounded exceptionally good in the new 12K Project table/arm combo. First Koetsu that I've heard that I could live with (of course haven't heard the more expensive Coralstone). Stunning resolution, imaging and extremes. And it could track like no other Koetsu I've heard. Personally thought that combo with Nick's new phono section gave tape everything it could handle and even more on some of my reference records.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Myles on all points. When I first saw the $12K Project table and arm, I thought it might cost around $50K just based on its looks alone. The Azule cartridge on the Project arm played back through Nick's electronics was just magical. All of the credit for putting that table/arm/cartridge combo together has to go to Larry from Paragon Audio. When Nick heard that Larry was bringing a Project table and arm to play back through his electronics, Nick was a little um, surprised and not overly thrilled at the idea. That feeling/disappointment ended as soon as Nick heard what that combo could do. Hearing Lou Reed's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" that Myles brought to the show was something really special over that LP playback system. I must have heard that song at least 1000 times in my life, but I can truly say I had never really heard it until last Thursday. I could go on and on with just that one song.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The other interesting point is that the best table/arm/cartridge are getting mightly close to tape, especially in those areas of dynamics (esp. in the lows) and sense of unrestricted ease, that were formerly the sole province of tape. The many breakthroughs in arm resonance, cartridge design and I think especially phono stage design.

BTW, the 12K Koestsu Azule cartridge sounded exceptionally good in the new 12K Project table/arm combo. First Koetsu that I've heard that I could live with (of course haven't heard the more expensive Coralstone). Stunning resolution, imaging and extremes. And it could track like no other Koetsu I've heard. Personally thought that combo with Nick's new phono section gave tape everything it could handle and even more on some of my reference records.

If you like the Coralstone, you would like the tiger eye too. I own both, they sound very close, yet different than one another. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the stone body koetsu's

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
It looks like the Classic Direct is selling for $30K, according to Acoustic Sounds.

Larry

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Look what the cats drug in! :)

image.jpg

Now just waiting for the SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base for under the table to arrive.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
some cats you got there, where do I find cats like yours?:p

new toys are fun...report back on your findings asap.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
some cats you got there, where do I find cats like yours?:p

new toys are fun...report back on your findings asap.

When they cost as much as audio components ;)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
You lucky dawg. What is your reference turntable you're comparing it to?

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
i like the new table but the footprint borders on being too large. my only beef with any new VPI is that you're stuck using their arm, i off'd my classic and kept the TNT for that reason (removable armboard). someone should also tell them the black n gold look went out with the 1980s.

It's actually not difficult to replace the JMW arm. For my Classic 3, I removed the JMW 10 arm and had a machinist fabricate an aluminum armboard for my Tri-Planar Mk VII. Since I used the existing holes in the plinth, I can re-install the JMW arm if I sell the Classic 3 in the future. It should be possible to mount other arms on the Direct Drive table as long as they don't need a mounting hole (eg. Tri-Planar, Reed, Durand).

I agree that the VPI feet don't look (or sound) that good. Since they're threaded for 1/4-20, It's easy to replace with footers of your choice (eg. Stillpoints Ultra SS).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing