WAMM Series VII - pictures

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Would this be at K One by chance? Do you know this pair of Wamm's story and/or serial numbers? Very cool slice of Wilson history right here!!

Debby

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Very cool / daring design , never heard it would love to

I had the chance to hear the WAMMs many years ago at Definitive Audio, a long gone high-end audio store in Mammaroneck NY that a bunch of reviewers used to hang out at every Friday night. The WAMMs were driven by big Krell amps and the front-end was a Basis/Air Tangent/Koetsu front end. You should have heard the Sheffield drum record through the WAMMs. Wow. Still sticks out in my mind to this day.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Would this be at K One by chance? Do you know this pair of Wamm's story and/or serial numbers? Very cool slice of Wilson history right here!!

Debby

Your baby fingerprints are all over these Debb! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had the chance to hear the WAMMs many years ago at Definitive Audio, a long gone high-end audio store in Mammaroneck NY that a bunch of reviewers used to hang out at every Friday night. The WAMMs were driven by big Krell amps and the front-end was a Basis/Air Tangent/Koetsu front end. You should have heard the Sheffield drum record through the WAMMs. Wow. Still sticks out in my mind to this day.

Interesting. How does that memory compare to your more current memories of Alexandria or XLF?

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
WAMMS at Definitive- memories

I was a regular at Definitive Audio on the regular Tuesday night listening sessions. Other regulars included: Michael Gindi(aka 'The Gindian'), Tom Gillette(also known as Sam Tellig) and the legendary Lars(famous from Sam's writings in Stereophile). One of Lars' favourite LPs was Ambiphon Blues on Proprius. It was quite astounding on the WAMMS. We would almost always get Sicilian pizza from Sal's(great) and then settle down to listen to the WAMMS. My ex-record partner Ed Xippolitos was a minority investor in Definitive and we always preferred the Jadis or CAT equipment to the Krell gear usually used on the WAMMS. At the time Rudy(the owner) was the largest seller of Krell and Wilson in the US. Dave Wilson came down to set up the Wamms and they were fantastic. One of the Tuesday night regulars(I won't name whom :) ) thought he knew better than Wilson how to EQ the WAMMS and they were never the same after he 'played' with the active eq(Modified Crown?). We spent many hours enjoying the vinyl playback on the Versa Dynamics turntable on that system. I sold records to Rudy who used them to sell the Wilson/Krell combo very effectively. Before the doors shut on Definitive I was able to get back the greatest and rarest gem LP from Rudy. It is still the only copy I've seen and still is the best sounding orchestral LP I've ever heard. The LP I'm referring to is Bizet: L'Arlesienne suites with Morel/ROHO on a Living Stereo SB pressing. Great times and a fun store. I don't know of a store like it now.

Rich
Portlandia

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The only system that similarly sticks in my mind was the Mark Levinson HQD with the 500 liter each 24" Hartley subwoofers in a close friend very large room. The Sheffield drum record was really an experience - makes my current system anemic ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was a regular at Definitive Audio on the regular Tuesday night listening sessions. Other regulars included: Michael Gindi(aka 'The Gindian'), Tom Gillette(also known as Sam Tellig) and the legendary Lars(famous from Sam's writings in Stereophile). One of Lars' favourite LPs was Ambiphon Blues on Proprius. It was quite astounding on the WAMMS. We would almost always get Sicilian pizza from Sal's(great) and then settle down to listen to the WAMMS. My ex-record partner Ed Xippolitos was a minority investor in Definitive and we always preferred the Jadis or CAT equipment to the Krell gear usually used on the WAMMS. At the time Rudy(the owner) was the largest seller of Krell and Wilson in the US. Dave Wilson came down to set up the Wamms and they were fantastic. One of the Tuesday night regulars(I won't name whom :) ) thought he knew better than Wilson how to EQ the WAMMS and they were never the same after he 'played' with the active eq(Modified Crown?). We spent many hours enjoying the vinyl playback on the Versa Dynamics turntable on that system. I sold records to Rudy who used them to sell the Wilson/Krell combo very effectively. Before the doors shut on Definitive I was able to get back the greatest and rarest gem LP from Rudy. It is still the only copy I've seen and still is the best sounding orchestral LP I've ever heard. The LP I'm referring to is Bizet: L'Arlesienne suites with Morel/ROHO on a Living Stereo SB pressing. Great times and a fun store. I don't know of a store like it now.

Rich
Portlandia

Yes I remember Rudy selling your LPs :) Too bad the store ended up the way it did :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing