Esoteric UX-1 V Esoteric SA60 for 5.1 Music

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
I run a Esoteric SA 60 for 5.1 music only.I have a chance to buy a Esoteric UX-1 LE.Any surround sound music fans gone down this track with some opinions?What is the best player out there for SACD and DVD-A 5.1
Stump

Esoteric SA 60
Arcam AVR 600
Vaf I-66s x5
Vaf PL sub x3

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Having owned the DV-50S, UX-1, UX-1 Limited and P-03U (and demo-ing the SA-60 at one point) each for multiple years, here is my assessment;

1. P-03U (but you need a multi-channel DAC)
2. UX-1 Limited
3. DV-50S
4. SA-60...

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Cheers
I ended up buying a modified UX-1 Limited and couldn't be happier!
Stump

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
It's a great player...glad to hear you are happy with it! I remember upgrading my stock UX-1 to LE; it was definitely worth the time and the $$$!

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Having owned the DV-50S, UX-1, UX-1 Limited and P-03U (and demo-ing the SA-60 at one point) each for multiple years, here is my assessment;

1. P-03U (but you need a multi-channel DAC)
2. UX-1 Limited
3. DV-50S
4. SA-60...

My UX-1 Limited is still going strong.Although I am not doing surround sound anymore I still play DVD-A in stereo mix.A Esoteric P-03 transport / Esoteric D-03 Dac just came up on the local market. Would this make the combo the BEST for DVD-A playback? I wont be selling my SACD or DVD_A CDs anytime soon . Given its age would you expect the Esoteric K-01Xs to blow it away for CD and SACD??? Cheers

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
While I thought the UX-1 Limited was a great all around unit for all formats and the D-50S was very good, the P-03U (need the "U" model to support all CD,SACD, DVD-V, DVD-A, the P-03 only played CD and SACD)and D-03 was miles ahead in terms of overall sound quality especially when using Dual-AES (ES-Link) and XLR outputs. Performance took a further jump for all formats when using an external 10 mHz master clock. In short, 'yes' the P-03U/D-03 is the best combo for DVD-A of the 3 I ever heard.

Reactions: Stump

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing