How do you "flex" or show nuance of your music system for visitors?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

I’m sure all of us have demo quality LPs or music that we want to play for new visitors to show different aspects of our systems.

What do you play for your new visitors when you want to “Flex” your system and or show how nuanced it can be?

How about listing maybe 5 or more different ones you try to get in the rotation?

Added my first list here

Added a few more in-session records here

Anyone have more gems they would like to add to the list? Remember these are your best pieces that showoff or "flex" your system's best features.

Thanks,
Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Anyone have more gems they would like to add to the list? Remember these are your best pieces that showoff or "flex" your system's best features.

Thanks,
Dre

A few more on digital.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan
FIM Sheffield Drum record - Would like to get this on LP someday as well.
FIM The Best Of Play Bach

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
For me it is always the same, whe listend to a few of MY discs then it's my visits music.

Cohen Leonard     Songs From The Road.jpg = track #2 Bird On A Wire Dadawa     Sister Drum.jpg = track #2 Sister Drum

Gustavsen Tord     Changing Places.jpg = track #9 Where Breathing Starts Hadouk Trio     Air Hadouk.jpg = track 13 Soft Landing

Jonasz Michel     La Fabuleuse Histoire De Mr Swing.jpg = track #2 disc #2 Le Temps Passé

With special mention to Byron Metcalf Wachuma's Wave track #5 Dance Of The Heart Voyagers.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

Thanks,
Dre

Chad turned me on to this one a long time ago. roots rock/alt country rocker James mcmurtry "too long in the waste land" was recorded at john mellencamp's studio, but none of his records sounded this good. sonics are like a garage band, live and in the room (2-track?). the RBCD is meh, I have a dutch pressing and the vinyl kicks ass.

Juri Honing trio "star tracks" RBCD only. this is like eating a twinkie, soo good if you haven't for a while, eat 'em everyday and you'll tire of it real fast. "walking on the moon" is both errie and loaded with jump factor.

Attachments

• too long.jpg
    too long.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 86
  • star tracks.jpg
    star tracks.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 87

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Just a few of Anouar Brahem & Al Gromer Khan.

Brahem Anouar     The Astounding Eyes Of Rita.jpg Brahem Anouar     Thimar.jpg Khan Al Gromer     Black Marble Sweet Fire.jpg Khan Al Gromer     Kamasutra Experience.jpg Khan Al Gromer     Tantra Drums.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's always changing for me. I usually will demo LP stereo on AF1, LP mono on the Clearaudio Master Innovation and a 15ips tape played through my modded Technics1500/King Cello combo.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I always ask my visitor what kind of music they like, then if there is anything specific they want to hear. Then I try and choose something (to start at least) that caters to their preferences.

But otherwise I have found these that are a bit out of the mainstream audio cuts to be quite nice:
- Dali has some demo disks that are great(CD)
- Michael Hedges - Strings of Steel (LP)
- Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day (CD)
- Natalie Merchant - Ophelia (CD)
- there's quite a few great recordings by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on both LP and CD, and they generally sound great
- The Red Violin soundtrack - track 20 (CD)

I tend to try and stay away from things like Taiko drum tracks

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I use euphoria inducing pheromone aerolizers, and they think my Bose Wave Radio is an array of stacked Alexandrias.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I always ask my visitor what kind of music they like, then if there is anything specific they want to hear. Then I try and choose something (to start at least) that caters to their preferences.

But otherwise I have found these that are a bit out of the mainstream audio cuts to be quite nice:
- Dali has some demo disks that are great(CD)
- Michael Hedges - Strings of Steel (LP)
- Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day (CD)
- Natalie Merchant - Ophelia (CD)
- there's quite a few great recordings by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on both LP and CD, and they generally sound great
- The Red Violin soundtrack - track 20 (CD)

I tend to try and stay away from things like Taiko drum tracks

Like track #6 - Korvai On Chennais Sandy Shore - - - from the album Taiko To Tabla - - - from Joji Hirota/Pete Lockett

Sample mp3 =
http://myfreemp3.eu/music/joji+hirota+korvai+on+chennais+sandy+shore

Hirota Joji & Lockett Pete Taiko To Tabla.jpg

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

I’m sure all of us have demo quality LPs or music that we want to play for new visitors to show different aspects of our systems.

What do you play for your new visitors when you want to “Flex” your system and or show how nuanced it can be?

How about listing maybe 5 or more different ones you try to get in the rotation?

Added my first list here

Added a few more in-session records here

Thanks,
Dre

The last time we went through this exercise, everyone did a wonderful job of contributing and staying on topic for the most part.

It is my hope that we will continue the trend this time through while adding some excellent music selections to the list we have accumulated so far.

Please keep up the good work WBF members.

Thanks,
Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Tape and analog!

The Poll Winners: Barney Kessel with Shelly Manne and Ray Brown, Contemporary/Analogue Productions 45 rpm LP reissue

This one has finally bubbled up near the top of my rotation list. I'll give it a listen soon.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This one has finally bubbled up near the top of my rotation list. I'll give it a listen soon.

Dre

I know Mark likes that one too! :)

Some of my new faves were in the Magico review especially Constant's 14 Stations on Erato and the Dialoghi and Suroyodaya tapes from Yarlung Records.

The new Smoke and Mirrors' recording Vanish as well as a new release Ciaramella Dances tapes are on their way here also. If the S&M tapes is anything like the last release, it oughta be a blast!

Also have the three Hemiolia Records tapes lying here. Need to give them a listen this weekend.

http://www.hemioliarecords.com/index.php

Plus have one of the Oscar Peterson tapes coming as well as a sampler tape from Fone Records. Miles of tapes it seems. (NPI)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I know Mark likes that one too! :)

Some of my new faves were in the Magico review especially Constant's 14 Stations on Erato and the Dialoghi and Suroyodaya tapes from Yarlung Records.

The new Smoke and Mirrors' recording Vanish as well as a new release Ciaramella Dances tapes are on their way here also. If the S&M tapes is anything like the last release, it oughta be a blast!

Also have the three Hemiolia Records tapes lying here. Need to give them a listen this weekend.

http://www.hemioliarecords.com/index.php

Plus have one of the Oscar Peterson tapes coming as well as a sampler tape from Fone Records. Miles of tapes it seems. (NPI)

A little while ago I scored a copy of The Poll Winners: Ride Again!. With some Matrix number crunching help from Mark (Jazdoc), I found out it was an original Contemporary pressing! It sounded wonderful. I had purchased the 45RPM AP reissue of the The Poll Winners: The Poll Winners and set it in my stack. Well it's time to play that one too. I'm looking forward to it.

Regarding Tape: I'm still fighting the temptation...

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A little while ago I scored a copy of The Poll Winners: Ride Again!. With some Matrix number crunching help from Mark (Jazdoc), I found out it was an original Contemporary pressing! It sounded wonderful. I had purchased the 45RPM AP reissue of the The Poll Winners: The Poll Winners and set it in my stack. Well it's time to play that one too. I'm looking forward to it.

Dre

Resistance is futile!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Dre
I played The Poll Winners 45 RPM LPs this weekend. Interestingly, I had already played it a few weeks ago and forgot. When pulling it off the stack it was opened and ultrasonically cleaned. After thinking about it, I realized I'd already played it along with a Phoebe Snow 45 RPM LP I purchased at the same time. In the end, The Poll Winners 45 RPM LPs sounded as good as the last time I played them.

Dre

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing