Jonathan Valin the best audio writer, EVER.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
In the TAS 40th anniversary issue, Harley writes that Jonathan Valin is the best audio writer, ever.

Wonder if HP's decision to publish why he left TAS had anything to do with this?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
maybe most fickle writer ever. his head is so big and his references change so much, it's hard to keep up with him these days.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
In the TAS 40th anniversary issue, Harley writes that Jonathan Valin is the best audio writer, ever.

Really one of the more comical statements I've read.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Being an audio writer does not mean being a reviewer. I always separate these two aspects - and care little about the later. Surely, all IMHO.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I have some problems with Harley' statement. I mean, surely there must be other audio writers who have their spell check turned on? ;)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
JV is a really good writer. I think that when he writes one can certainly understand exactly what he is saying. He paints an excellent picture and IMO he is very clear and easy to follow. I think however that being a reviewer is more than being a great writer. I have had a few battles with Mr. Valin about a myriad of subjects and I don't believe in his premises that there are multiple ways to listen or hear. I do respect his ability to express himself as well as anyone that has ever done what he does. HP was a great writer but HP never finishes anything and today barely writes a few sentences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have a few favorite audio writers - at the risk of omitting some I also really like I will nominate just a few I consider very good. Gordon Holt, Harry Pearson, Jacob Heilbrun, Jonathan Valin, Martin Colloms and Paul Miller. Unhappily Jean Hiraga does not write regularly about audio since he started his audio company - but I still love reading his essays. This does not mean I always agree with their opinions or conclusions in reviews!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
David Wilson was the bomb when he used to write for TAS back in the Bronze age.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If you don't have something to say about someone .... Say nothing ;)

I did like Wilson in the early TAS too .

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I like Fremer's writing style. It's far easier to grasp than Valin's.

alexandre

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The quality of the "writing" is immaterial. What counts is the quality of the reviewing and Valin falls far short in my book when he changes his reference favorites more frequently than I change my underwear. Zero credibility.

HP's writing style AND reviews I find much more substantive.

That said, I take all reviewer opinions with a very small grain of salt --- some more than others.

The guy whose writing I loved (but whose reviews were :confused:) was Corey Greenberg. If he was nothing else, he was entertaining. VERY!

Reactions: Namaste

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Heh, the header literally got a genuine LOL moment out of me. To me, "best writer" is an individual who can convey a thought/idea with very little to imagine on the part of the reader. The ideas must be clear, well-actualized, and most all... they must be defined in a manner familiar to those who read and understand English. Fremer is a good example of the latter, as is JA.

BTW, I loved CG's writing. The style more than the substance, but he sure got the idea right. I really like Steven Mejias's writing, as well. It's a pleasure to read. His last piece, where he expanded on his position driven by a reader's letter, literally brought a tear to my eye. Try that looking at a keyboard.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
My personal fav is Martin Colloms. Not much in terms of writing style, but he more than makes up for it in terms of content.

For those who still haven't subscribed for his ads-free Hi-Fi Critic - I highly recommend to do so.

I also enjoy reading Michael Fremer and Dick Olsher among others. I wish Corey Greenberg was still writing about audio. He was THE entertainer for me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Dick Olsher drives me nuts because he won't review a piece of tube gear without substituting tubes from his personal stash. No tube gear sounds *good* until Dick rolls in his magic tubes. I still smile when I think about the time that Dick reviewed a VTL amp back when David Manley was still running the company and of course the amp didn't sound good until Dick rolled in his favorite tubes. David Manley was furious in his comments and you could just tell that David would have loved to plugged in a 211 into Olsher in a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Dick Olsher drives me nuts because he won't review a piece of tube gear without substituting tubes from his personal stash. No tube gear sounds *good* until Dick rolls in his magic tubes. I still smile when I think about the time that Dick reviewed a VTL amp back when David Manley was still running the company and of course the amp didn't sound good until Dick rolled in his favorite tubes. David Manley was furious in his comments and you could just tell that David would have loved to plugged in a 211 into Olsher in a place where the sun doesn't shine.

[OT] Olsher and the Lesley Test. You guys remember that? My audio buddy and I would spend a considerable amount of time wondering what the music actually sounded like. Probably not the only ones. Olsher talked about the Lesley Test in almost every review with not juts a smidgen of reverence, but, as if the ending result defined the pinnacle of modern aural delineation. IIRC, it was the first S'phile Test CD that gave us a taste of the Lesley Test. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. [/OT]

:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
[OT] Olsher and the Lesley Test. You guys remember that? My audio buddy and I would spend a considerable amount of time wondering what the music actually sounded like. Probably not the only ones. Olsher talked about the Lesley Test in almost every review with not juts a smidgen of reverence, but, as if the ending result defined the pinnacle of modern aural delineation. IIRC, it was the first S'phile Test CD that gave us a taste of the Lesley Test. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. [/OT]

:)

I remember. Leslie was his wife and he knew his wife's voice like all married men know their wife's voice and gear had to pass the "Leslie" test. Lot's of married guys develop filters for the frequencies their wife's speak on and they have selective notch filters so they only hear certain words they speak.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

My god, we actually agree on something 100%. Olsher is insufferable. I am sure he is a nice fellow, but he does not serve the reader. It is all about tube rolling. I thought I was the only one who who noticed this.

He spends 7 or 8 paragraphs writing a Bill of Materials and parts count. I just can't get through his reviews.

He just reviewed the same amp I did, the Carver Black Magic. He puts in NOS tubes that cost almost as much as the amp, then compares it to some decrepit old tube amps he has in his collection. Spare me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing