What's the best headphone amp you have heard?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I would certainly pick the the Aries Cerat Genus as best headphone amp but i'm very happy with a Chord Hugo TT2 with a great FPGA DAC built in.
My priority is still speaker system.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
For me personally it was the WA33 Elite Edition Tube Amp, I am sure there is better out there, but I am happy with mine.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The best headphone amp is based a a few things.
For one the headphones you will use. Some headphones need a low output imp and some a high. Some need a high voltage some high current
Even the noise level at the output on a given imp of a headphone matters. If you have a headphone picked out that you have heard comment on it. it’s far more possible to pick and amp then pick headphone or Vicversa but you must have one ??. pOst and ol help.

Aug 12, 2019
I'm fairly new to all of this really but it seems from my reading that you need to match your headphones to your amp really? And your own taste? Surely it's subjective?

A friend of mine swears by his Pro iCAN (amp) and Pro iDSD (DAC/streamer) stack from iFi audio - he would say that for his ears, this the Pro iCAN with the Pro iDSD is the best he's ever heard. I heard it and thought it was pretty awesome but I know I've also heard other things I like.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I'm fairly new to all of this really but it seems from my reading that you need to match your headphones to your amp really? And your own taste? Surely it's subjective?

A friend of mine swears by his Pro iCAN (amp) and Pro iDSD (DAC/streamer) stack from iFi audio - he would say that for his ears, this the Pro iCAN with the Pro iDSD is the best he's ever heard. I heard it and thought it was pretty awesome but I know I've also heard other things I like.

Chord Electronics is in another league compared to iFI Audio in terms of headphone gear trust me.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Chord is better no doubt. it’s a tough time to evail stuff at stores or meets. maybe mail order is now

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I enjoyed my time with a DNA Stratus I owned a few years ago. I'm sure the new Stellaris sounds glorious.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I believe it was one of the Norne Audio cables. I sold off my headphone system in 2017. Headphones were the HE1000 V1.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
While I hesitate to call anything "best" the one I've enjoyed the most is the Pass Labs HPA-1, paired with Focal Utopias ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing