What's the best headphone amp you have heard?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just remembered something. I had an Alesis Masterlink modified by Chris Hoff at B-P-T. The biggest surprise when I got it back was listening to the transformation through headphones. This was the full mod done by him and remember it as one of my "eureka" moments!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I heard my Grado RS1is on the Peachtree Audio Nova headphone jack today. Very nice sound.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
The VTL IT-85 is the best headphone amp I've yet heard, followed by a balanced Beta22. I've had a Cary 300sei and a Manley Stingray here as well, but prefer the VTL.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thought I would follow up since this thread popped up again.

I have acquired a couple of Stax headphones, a traditional Lambda normal bias, a new Lambda SR 507, and an older SR 3n/5n, all great headphones.

I soldered the leads of a type 7 Stax transformer adapter to a standard banana jack headphone jack, and use the Manley as a Stax amp as well as a conventional headphone amp.

I also acquired a couple of single plate 5v 182b/482b amp tubes that work greaat in the Manley, and I can rotate them with the 300b for a different flavor. The 182b/482b aren't as spacious as the 300b, but probably have the cleanest headphone presentation through Stax headphones that I have heard, also with a lot of "single plate" DHT magic.

BEST is a matter of taste and definition, but they sure sound good.

In Santa Cruz, I have turned the AC heated 26/300b Hogan amp into a dedicated Stax amp with another 7 type Stax transformer adapter, also to wonderful effect.

I will be taking the Manley 300b preamp to the Head Fi meet on the peninsula Feb 11, 2012, and will be able to compare to some other types and let the attendees hear the Manley.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I liked what I heard at the Bottlehead booth at RMAF!

Me too. Also good was the Woo Audio WES amp with Stax 009 phones.

On the portable side I have an ALO Audio Rx II Tactical Edition. It has really improved my sound and resides between an iPod Classic and my new Grado RS-1is.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I'm using a small speaker amp to drive headphones with good success - an Emotiva a-100 mini-X.

Speaker taps out of the amp to balanced headphone cables. Using three phones - HiFiMan HE-500, Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K-701.

Also have a Burson HA-160 headphone amp.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
stancor-stax.jpg

Here's my second frankenstein Stax transformere adaptor. A pair of old iron Stancor PP output trannies wired in reverse and jimmy rigged with a bias supply from an equally ancient but rebuilt Stax SRD 5 box. Using with Manley 300b preamp. It sounds wonderful with Lambda Stax original headphones, much better than stock, but butt ugly at the moment, I need to prettify it more at some point.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm using a Ray Samuals Raptor with Senn HD600's and AKG 701's. With two inputs it covers the bases with becomining obnoxious expensive. I usually use the tape output from my Spectral pre to manage inputs.

ianmedium

Jul 2, 2013
Vancouver BC
I have been loving my rather unusual portable tube amp since I got it six months ago. It drives my Beyer T5P's and Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX's beautifully.

The amp comes from a one man company in Japan called Analog Squared Paper, this model is the TU-05. It is a single ended triode class A portable amp. Though portable it has more of a desk top, home amp sound to it I feel, a big full rich and detailed sound. Here is a shot of it and the internals..

L1010888.jpg

L1010687.jpg

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
^^^ Wow, that's a beautiful amp. Qualifies as industrial art.

Just got new cans yesterday - Beyer DT990pro. I downloaded some binaural recordings from B&W. What fun! At this point, seeing how I've owned four headphones in my life, they're the best I've heard.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
How about the HE6 anybody here have them ? As I have several electro static headphones they are close to the performance of them.

Al. D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I used to listen quite a bit but not recently.
The top Stax is very good. I have a set of the affordable ones. Very good for the money. I mod' an xcanv2(caps-pot) good improvement over stock. Last set to get lots of use GSP SOLO mod' with mod' ext supply. HD600 with Equinox cable. The GSP compares favorably to the hi-priced spread. At the time anyway, 10 yrs ago.
I should add that with mods to the xcan I rolled in matched Nos Mullards, really nice till they lost their magic after awhile, which is why I went to the GSP.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello all
as I do enjoy headphones as well as speakers in setting things up they are very useful tool. In fact I use three different headphones to obtain better balance. I just the HE6 and hd800.
And last the stax 009. When I first bought the MSB. Stack the very first thing I did is listen to it with headphones. When used they are a reference better than speakers as there is no tuning or room effects just your ears.

Al D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The Abyss and Cavalli Liquid Gold Balanced amp. Best I've heard.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing