Anyone familiar with Burmester amps?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Has anyone ever listened to Burmester 911? It's very expensive, but is it good? I would be looking to drive a Soundlab A1. Is it up to the job?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
caesar

Just go buy it .. One of the best amps I have ever heard or owned or experienced if not the best ... I am a BIG but really big Burmester fan ... Lived with it for years .. Sturdy , reliable, incredible sound and refinement galore ...Far from inexpensive but a gem

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks, FrantzM. Ha! I wish I could just go buy it, and sell it if I didn't like it! Unfortunately, that's not where I am right now.

What is the sonic signature?

How come there are almost no reviews of this amp? Classe, Bryston, and others at that price point have managed to get reviewed.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

It's been reviewed in TAS and HP of TAS is very fond of it. It is a little more expensive thaneither CLasse and Bryston by the way...

Sonic Signature is neutral.. Not any prominence anywhere seat sedately follwoing the music .. doesn't attract attention but when the time comes to control the speaker .. It takes charge .. One of the best bass you willever hear with treble that sem to go on forever.. Think Spectral with more luscious tone especially in the midrange .. THink KRell in the bass but less sterile then some Krell in the mid band .. In a world an incredible amplifier and still current despite being designed in 1991 , 19 years !!

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I had the Burmester 911 mkIII and together with McIntosh C220 pre it sounded very good In fact this combo was better than Rowland Synergy/Krell 450 monos and Ayre K1/v1 and McIntosh c220/501 monos in my setup. Very open, dynamic sound. Very musical. The 911 is the best transistor amp I have tried. But the 220/911 combo was bettered by an 40W integrated tube amp by swedish tube amp expert LennArt Labs LA mayro http://www.lennartlabs.com/projects/amplifiers/la_mayro/index.htm.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have been following their integrated amp, but never heard it under familiar conditions. It is in my shortlist among with the ASR and the Boulder integrated if I ever move from my Viva Solista.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have heard the Burmester 911 Mk I, Mk II and Mk III and it continues to be one of my favorite SS amps. It is neutral, hugely dynamic and is also able to deliver the micro-dynamic and emotion that some large SS amps are not able to deliver.

Just yesterday, during RMAF - in an all-Burmester system with the latest 911, I brought a limited-edition purple-vinyl LP of Smoke on the Water live by Deep Purple. We played it so loud that people started flooding into the room. At the end of the track, the audience stood up and applauded. Honest!!

*Disclaimer* I am a manufacturer, and Burmester is my competition.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The whole Burmester line is quite remarkable and stunning in many ways. I have their 089 CDP/PRE/DAC and am quite enamored of it.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Sold my Hegel H10 (every time I sneeze Hegel comes out with a new and "improved" amp), and bought a Burmester 911 MK3, but in stunning Burmester schwarz. I can't wait to pair it up with my 089.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Marinjim

What is the Burmester "schwarz"? Long time Burmester fan here (Since 1991 when I first heard them at a Stereophile show in New Yor)k .. Have heard lot of other electronics none as good so far ...I haven't hear the last models especially the 077 preamp... very familiar with most of the line .. Ageless designs too.. the 808 which is 30 years old ... remains one of the best (and most versatile) preamp I have heard ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Just a guess, but I think he means "Black" not chrome or polished.

Joe

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Got you... The orginal , let's call it Mark I came out that way .. wasn't all chrome ...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi,

I finally decided to get a Burmester 911 MK 3 and should have it in a week or two. I report back when she's hooked up and singing sweetly.

Joe

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

I finally decided to get a Burmester 911 MK 3 and should have it in a week or two. I report back when she's hooked up and singing sweetly.

Joe

Dear kind sir, could you please report back to us, and is she singing sweetly? :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Dear kind sir, could you please report back to us, and is she singing sweetly? :)

I can't believe how nice the Burmester gear sounds. Full, deep bass, sweet highs and mids. Awesome!

Joe

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I can't believe how nice the Burmester gear sounds. Full, deep bass, sweet highs and mids. Awesome!

Joe

You are just saying that because the 911 MK3 is one of the best amps in the world.:D Did you ever get the Burmester preamp? I think you are really putting together a world class system!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I have very little experience with Burmester speakers, I appreciate a lot their electronics, and congratulate them as they have no problems in assuming their high-end audiophile status openly. From their site, about "Sound and musicality":

"The sound of a high-end audio system is determined by a multitude of technical parameters. The higher the ability to understand and to control the sound implications of these parameters the less it becomes likely that the sonic soul of a stereo system is the result of coincidence.

As former professional musician Dieter Burmester is still driven by his passion for music which he lets run free in his home studio as often as possible. He is convinced that musicality cannot be described adequately with the means of measuring data.

Measurements are able to make a statement about the technical and mechanic quality of the piece of equipment. They cannot, however, predict the actual sound. Proof is given by the fact that it is possible to build two devices, which have exactly the same technical data but a completely different sound.

The musicality Dieter Burmester is demanding from his components is that they process the unaltered signal from the source to the speakers. This results in the unequalled reproduction, which is characteristic for all Burmester appliances. "

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You are just saying that because the 911 MK3 is one of the best amps in the world.:D Did you ever get the Burmester preamp? I think you are really putting together a world class system!

Yes. I'm using the Burmester 077 with ext. power supply. Just an amazing combination. I don't know how to describe it except to say it just sounds so right and organic. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing