Job 225

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Has anyone heard the new JOB 225 amplifier? It is sold only through Amazon for around $1,500.

http://www.amazon.com/JOB-225-2-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B008NQVA2A/

Reportedly, however, the unit not only uses the same circuit designs as Goldmund amplifiers but also is made by Goldmund. Srajan Ebaen praised the JOB 225 to the skies in a recent review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/job/1.html

Is there any chance that this amplifier compares with much more expensive high-speed, solid-state designs? Does the direct coupled design pose a concern for use with modest front-end equipment and preamplification?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Is there any chance that this amplifier compares with much more expensive high-speed, solid-state designs? Does the direct coupled design pose a concern for use with modest front-end equipment and preamplification?

I think it is quite possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded better than some $5k designs. You are basicly getting it factory direct (forget the tiny Amazon markup) plus the box is very basic.

I would like to try one in my system ... sadly it is 115V only.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I can remember coming across job/stellavox 10 years ago and being quite excited because here was Goldmund tech in a cheaper OEM line.

The Job225 has almost the exact same specs as the new Goldmund Metis 3 stereo amp. The internal boards look the same, except the Metis 3 is dual mono, and has a much nicer case obviously.

It could be a true audiophile bargain.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
How much is the Metis 3 ?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It doesn't look the same. Look at the layout of the caps.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Looks the same to me.

Metis 3 2x100W Analogue Power amp - $6,470

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Looks the same to me.

Metis 3 2x100W Analogue Power amp - $6,470

Look closer. I'm not talking about the big can caps. Look at the smaller gray caps. The dual mono unit has staggered gray caps (12 from what I can count) and the stereo unit has 8 of those caps in a straight line.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Looks like there's also many more of the red WIMA caps behind the gray caps in the Goldmund amp.

You are correct. There are many more of them.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
The difference may be the Metis 3 pictures were taken in 2010 when it was released and the Job225 pictures are recent. Possibly. I think it more likely they have the same board design but the Metis 3 will have better components and tighter tolerance's in the right areas.

Either way it all is looking pretty good for the Job amp at $1500....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Unfortunately, the pictures aren't good enough to show us if the boards are truly the same and the Job225 just has less components stuffed on the boards. As it is, it is clear there are more parts on the Metis amp and it has two power transformers. The Job may be a fine sounding amp, but I doubt it sounds identical to the Metis except to those people who think all amps sound the same.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
The other thing the Metis has is Goldmunds mechanical grounding, although it is hard to see what it is/how its implemented, with this standard looking stereo amp chassis. Could be just a marketing term.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think it is quite possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded better than some $5k designs. You are basicly getting it factory direct (forget the tiny Amazon markup) plus the box is very basic.

I would like to try one in my system ... sadly it is 115V only.

Adam,

I bought one for fun!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I ordered one today. Thanks for the information, everyone.

Joe, I'm curious to find out what you think about the JOB.

If my tracking updates are correct, I should have it tomorrow night. My fingers are crossed. I think it might actually be a diamond in the rough.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If my tracking updates are correct, I should have it tomorrow night. My fingers are crossed. I think it might actually be a diamond in the rough.

How are you going to polish it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing